Far Cry 2 and ATI cards

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Far Cry 2 players with ATI cards: Have you applied this patch? Thoughts?

According to the description for this hotifx:

Description: This Far Cry 2 XP Hotfix (includes XP 32-bit and 64-bit) improves performance for the DirectX 9 version of Far Cry 2 on CrossFire compatible systems. It also improves performance for the DirectX 10 version of Far Cry 2 on both single and CrossFire compatible systems.

it would seem that my system needs the patch. 47MB is a huge patch and I'd hate to ah heck up my perfectly working, fresh OS install.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
It's a driver, not a patch. The Farcry2 Hotfix can be found on ATI's website.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
The best info I've found on it was on PCGH's site. They also call it a Hotfix...but whatever. It looks like the complete Catalyst Suite, now that I've researched more. Even AMD callls it a hotfix. :confused:

So...I guess the install process is the same as always? Uninstall "old" drivers (that came out just a few days ago...:roll:) and install the new drivers, correct?

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: MichaelD
The best info I've found on it was on PCGH's site. They also call it a Hotfix...but whatever. It looks like the complete Catalyst Suite, now that I've researched more. Even AMD callls it a hotfix. :confused:

So...I guess the install process is the same as always? Uninstall "old" drivers (that came out just a few days ago...:roll:) and install the new drivers, correct?

Yep. The hotfix is only really for Far Cry2 so unless that is what you are running, there is no need to use it. Best to uninstall old drivers, it'll ask to reboot, then log into windows and run Driversweeper then reboot, and this time entering windows it's time to install the hotfix.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
My worry is that the patch will make FC2 run great and break every other game I have loaded. :(

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: MichaelD
My worry is that the patch will make FC2 run great and break every other game I have loaded. :(

Nah it'll be fine. Hotfix drivers (and its a driver, not a patch for the game itself) are just and extension to the current driver that includes the specific game profiles.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
That's good info, Sylvanas, thank you. I do know that for XFire/SLI to run properly, the videocard driver needs a profile for that specific game. I did not know that this new hotfix/driver was a tweaked CAT with a FC2 profile. :beer:

Good stuff. Thanks. :)

SPARTAN VI

Oct 13, 2005
I was getting graphical anamolies (red/green mountains) with 8.6, so updated to 8.10 and looks fine. Now, I'm experiencing infrequent and sporadic slow downs. I could standing in an empty room and watch my framerate drop to 20s for a few seconds, then suddenly jump back up for 40-50. Must try zis "hot fix."