fantasy football confusion-portis playing this weekend?

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
should I start portis @ detroit or hambrick @ NYJ. Portis says "he might plaly" The Broncos website does not make matters any easier...
"I think my chances are good for Sunday," said Portis, who is listed as questionable for the game against the Detroit Lions with a bruised sternum. "Hopefully I'm playing. I wouldn't want to miss a game for anything, but it is Thursday. I can take mental reps, this isn't my rookie year where I wouldn't know what to expect or wouldn't know how I to perform if I didn't practice during the week. Then I couldn't go out and perform on Sunday so I just need to be ready by Sunday -- that's my goal."

But for the second consecutive day, Portis did not practice, which didn't help his chances of being ready to play on Sunday against the Lions.

"You never know," Shanahan said. "But it's not a good sign anytime a guy doesn't practice for two days. There's a conditioning factor. These other guys are getting good reps. They're really in football shape. You don't practice in a couple of days, it's not easy to go out and perform."

Wide receiver Rod Smith has missed only two games in the last two years, in spite of slogging through numerous nagging injuries. As a result, he can empathize with Portis' predicament.

"I can understand him missing practice. I did it," Smith said. "All of a sudden after treatment on Thursday you start to feel better and on Friday you feel even better. Then on Saturday you say, 'You know what? I can do it. I can give you guys 60 minutes.' That is what I am praying for and I am sure he is praying for the same thing."

Portis acknowledged that the decision is ultimately in Shanahan's hands.

"That is up to Coach Shanahan and it has not been discussed. Hopefully I am ready and if you see me suited up, hopefully that means I am starting the game and finishing the game," Portis said. "There is no precautionary or no, ?We need to rest Clinton.? If I can play then I am going to play, it is not going to be, ?I need to rest this week.'"

From Smith's perspective, Portis' presence is essential.

"He better play. We need him," Smith said. "We need every guy. I expect him to play and I am sure he is doing whatever he can to heal. This game is a grind. It is a 16-round fight. And we need him to fight with us this week if he can.
"We just want what he can give us. If he can?t play than we will have to go to somebody else. But I expect him to play."

If he can't, Mike Anderson will fill in, just as he did.....

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I've already replaced him with Anderson. It's looking more and more like he won't.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA
I've already replaced him with Anderson. It's looking more and more like he won't.

Agreed. I picked up Anderson in my leagues. Marshall Faulk's injury has hurt my team a lot. I am hoping I can gain some ground using Anderson.

Tough decision. It will probably be a game time decision for both players. Can you make your decision on game day?

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I had to switch almost all of my starters for benched players this week. The teams my starters are on aren't playing this week! Grrrrrrrrrr!!

: ) Amanda

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ohtwell
I had to switch almost all of my starters for benched players this week. The teams my starters are on aren't playing this week! Grrrrrrrrrr!!

Hey! Who let the chick in here? :p

bolomite

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2000
I'm screwed, I have Portis and Edgerrin James, and both are the dreaded game-time decision :frown:

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Originally posted by: ohtwell

Hey! Who let the chick in here? :p
I let myself in! ;):D

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I'm also assuming that Anderson is going to play and am starting him in place of Portis. I will probably check the websites and stuff tomorrow night and make my final decision then, but for now, go with Anderson. Even it Portis plays they should get way ahead of the Lions early, then they'll pull Portis out again and give Anderson the garbage time to run off the clock.