fantasy books/novels

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lytalbayre

Apr 28, 2005
Sword of Shannarah (Terry Brooks) and many subsequent Shannarah books are good.

Dragon prince by Melanie Rawn was fairly good.

Harry Potter is fun.

Steven Baxter for some heavy sci-fi. Plus these are just good reads (not so deep into fantasy though).

Dragon and the George series was excellent!

Elantris and Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson is excellent!! He's a new author.

The last Dragon Lord Series by Joanne Bertin is good.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: dainthomas
1. Lord of the Rings
2. A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin

Those should keep you busy for a while!

Edit: Forgot to mention the Assassin trilogy by Robin Hobb. Also Terry Goodkind's books are good (although people tend to diss them).

I second #2. Amazing series. Still working through the latest one. Got the recommendation here and I have to say it was amazing

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
I think I am the only person alive who liked the *entire* Chronicles of Narnia series. I tend to look at it more as a whole than individual books though...after reading the first book in the series when I was a kid, it sparked my imagination and I took that fantasy world with me as I read the subsequent books.

I loved it when I was a kid, but after seeing The Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe as an adult I was disgusted with the Christian brain-washery.

I would also recommend the Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin

Earthsea Wiki

Christian brainwashery? I'm not christian, i'm probably agnostic if anything, but what Christian brainwashery? I had heard that it had something to do with Christianity but unless you're looking for it, I don't tink you really notice it. at least when I watched it, that was the furthest thing from my mind.

Aslan = Jesus

It was all painfully obvious when I saw the movie.

i'm thinking you need to learn the definition of brainwashing before you use it. most people wouldn't link the two, and besides, thats not even anywhere close to brainwashing.

Main Entry: brain·wash·ing
Pronunciation: 'brAn-"wo-shi[ng], -"wä-
Function: noun
Etymology: translation of Chinese (Beijing) xina<hacek>o
1 : a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas
2 : persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship
- brain·wash transitive verb
- brainwash noun
- brain·wash·er noun

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
I think I am the only person alive who liked the *entire* Chronicles of Narnia series. I tend to look at it more as a whole than individual books though...after reading the first book in the series when I was a kid, it sparked my imagination and I took that fantasy world with me as I read the subsequent books.

I loved it when I was a kid, but after seeing The Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe as an adult I was disgusted with the Christian brain-washery.

Earthsea Wiki

Christian brainwashery? I'm not christian, i'm probably agnostic if anything, but what Christian brainwashery? I had heard that it had something to do with Christianity but unless you're looking for it, I don't tink you really notice it. at least when I watched it, that was the furthest thing from my mind.

Aslan = Jesus

i'm thinking you need to learn the definition of brainwashing before you use it. most people wouldn't link the two, and besides, thats not even anywhere close to brainwashing.

1 : a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas
- brainwash noun
- brain·wash·er noun

Doesn't seem like the author was selling Christianity to me. While the parallels are there, that doesn't mean there was brainwashing going on... :roll:

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy
read the chronicles of thomas convent: the unbealiver (3 books) by Stephen R Donaldson. Thjere is also a 2nd and 3rd set in the series. i have'nt read the 3rd series yet. but the first two are grea.t

one of the best fantasy series i have read.

also a series by Melanie Rawn called the dragon prince.

oih and the death gate series are good.

oh and fred saberhagen (sp?)has a cool series on swords (cant remember the name but i have them in a box hehe) that are short and easy to read.

just started reading the left behind series..but just cna't get into them.

I picked up "chronicles of thomas convent: the unbealiver" book 1 and am loving it so far. =) Only about 50 pages in....

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
In case no one has mentioned him, check out the various series by Orson Scott Card.

Jinru

Feb 6, 2006
Originally posted by: Andy22
Originally posted by: Ameesh
A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin is defintely the series to start with. forget the hobbit and lotr, they are boring as sh!t, too many ridiculous songs.

:thumbsup:

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
For funny (bust still very good) fantasy go Terry Pratchett. Discworld.

For something serious try the Wheel of Time, and of course, The Hobbit.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: jman19

Earthsea Wiki

Aslan = Jesus

- brainwash noun
- brain·wash·er noun

Doesn't seem like the author was selling Christianity to me. While the parallels are there, that doesn't mean there was brainwashing going on... :roll:

He probably also does not eat at Chic-Fil-A because they are closed on Sundays, despite having very tasty chicken sandwiches and BBQ sauce.

Two sides of the same coin, Christians who boycott companies that provide benefits to gays that are married and atheists boycott a good book/movie because it has similarities to themes in the Bible.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: hungfarover
Originally posted by: waggy
read the chronicles of thomas convent: the unbealiver (3 books) by Stephen R Donaldson. Thjere is also a 2nd and 3rd set in the series. i have'nt read the 3rd series yet. but the first two are grea.t

one of the best fantasy series i have read.

also a series by Melanie Rawn called the dragon prince.

oih and the death gate series are good.

oh and fred saberhagen (sp?)has a cool series on swords (cant remember the name but i have them in a box hehe) that are short and easy to read.

just started reading the left behind series..but just cna't get into them.

I picked up "chronicles of thomas convent: the unbealiver" book 1 and am loving it so far. =) Only about 50 pages in....

oh it gets good. definitely one of my favorite series.

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
Originally posted by: DeadByDawn
1st book you read should be the hobbit, then the LOTR.

totally agree with you mate!
then read harry potter and eragon

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Kaido
I'm not into hardcore fantasy, but I do enjoy fun stuff like Harry Potter and LOTR. Here are some good ones to get you started:

Chronicles of Narnia
Harry Potter
Eragon
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
Magic Kingdom for Sale

I have read most of those, would you recommend other of your most fav. books though. I only want to read really really good books like LOTR, potter, eragon, u know :)