Fantastic Four

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2008
Meh... I will wait for the dvd release. I liked the other FF better. They could have made them a bit more grim in a hypothetical FF3 and add them to a movie with the avengers. Oh well, i will just have to wait for the full CGI cast and movies in the near future.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Meh... I will wait for the dvd release. I liked the other FF better. They could have made them a bit more grim in a hypothetical FF3 and add them to a movie with the avengers. Oh well, i will just have to wait for the full CGI cast and movies in the near future.

No, they can't. Marvel studios does not own the IP to FF. They are different studios: same with Spider-Man and X-Men franchises. These movies are being made by Fox and Warner, I think, in order to keep rights to the IP. Something about the contract, where rights expire after x number of years without a production.

It's the only reason that the most recent Spider-Man movies were rebooted and made, and you can tell because they were so terrible.

However, Fox and Marvel/Disney recently worked out a deal to share Spider-man, so he can now appear in Marvel MCU franchise movies (Iron Man, Cap'n Murica, Hulk, Avengers, Ant Man, Guardians, Immortals, etc), but I don't think Marvel will be able to make a standalone Spider-Man movie. But yet another Spider-man reboot is in the works, anyway.

I'm leery of the MCU being able to do Thanos proper, because they can't include The Silver Surfer. Though I've heard that Marvel long ago neutered Thanos, anyway, because they have been propping up the Avengers, and ended up making them his primary nemesis or something ridiculous (considering how he used to blink and they would all die, I find this stupid).

This is also why Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in the Avengers (not to be confused with Quicksilver in X-Men DoFP; even though they are the same character) are referred to as "enhanced." They are, in fact, mutants, but Marvel does not currently own the rights to the term "mutants"--it belongs to Fox and the X-Men franchise.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
marvel-rights-13334x10667%20%281%29-1.png

Here is the most updated image detailing the IP. And I was wrong--it was Sony that owned Spiderman. older version

May 11, 2008
No, they can't. Marvel studios does not own the IP to FF. They are different studios: same with Spider-Man and X-Men franchises. These movies are being made by Fox and Warner, I think, in order to keep rights to the IP. Something about the contract, where rights expire after x number of years without a production.

It's the only reason that the most recent Spider-Man movies were rebooted and made, and you can tell because they were so terrible.

However, Fox and Marvel/Disney recently worked out a deal to share Spider-man, so he can now appear in Marvel MCU franchise movies (Iron Man, Cap'n Murica, Hulk, Avengers, Ant Man, Guardians, Immortals, etc), but I don't think Marvel will be able to make a standalone Spider-Man movie. But yet another Spider-man reboot is in the works, anyway.

I'm leery of the MCU being able to do Thanos proper, because they can't include The Silver Surfer. Though I've heard that Marvel long ago neutered Thanos, anyway, because they have been propping up the Avengers, and ended up making them his primary nemesis or something ridiculous (considering how he used to blink and they would all die, I find this stupid).

This is also why Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in the Avengers (not to be confused with Quicksilver in X-Men DoFP; even though they are the same character) are referred to as "enhanced." They are, in fact, mutants, but Marvel does not currently own the rights to the term "mutants"--it belongs to Fox and the X-Men franchise.

I see what you mean...
Well, i will keep on hoping. Sooner or later, people will get tired from "Oh yay :|, another super hero movie" and the studios will have to work together.
Even die hard sci fi fans will get tired of yet another reboot with yet another actor and with yet another slightly different story.
If the studios do not watch out, these movies will turn into discovery channel sci fi shows. Only when you have absolutely nothing else to do and are bored to death, you would want to watch that.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Here is the most updated image detailing the IP. And I was wrong--it was Sony that owned Spiderman. older version

There's actually an error in that image as well. The Hulk should be in the bubble with Namor as the publishing options for The Hulk are with Universal, but Marvel has creative freedom to make a movie.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
There's actually an error in that image as well. The Hulk should be in the bubble with Namor as the publishing options for The Hulk are with Universal, but Marvel has creative freedom to make a movie.

I think it means in terms of actual IP ownership. Marvel has the IP license to make another Hulk movie if they want, I believe.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm trying to figure out if the grey shared part with Namor is somehow different than the green shared part with the Maximoff siblings. Are the licensing rights that Marvel enjoys between those groups somehow different, or is it just different coloring in the diagram?

and lol: Namor. Who wants to do anything with that? I guess Lionsgate was like, "Yeah, uh, can you guys please buy this guy back--how's 10 bucks?" :D

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
and lol: Namor. Who wants to do anything with that? I guess Lionsgate was like, "Yeah, uh, can you guys please buy this guy back--how's 10 bucks?" :D

Sub-Mariner is awesome. They should have worked him into the MCU so he could have been in Civil War. MCU doesnt really have any anti-heros, although maybe now its Tony Stark. Just need to remove the wings on his feet.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'm trying to figure out if the grey shared part with Namor is somehow different than the green shared part with the Maximoff siblings. Are the licensing rights that Marvel enjoys between those groups somehow different, or is it just different coloring in the diagram?

I don't know about the state of the Namor rights (because who cares), but for the Maximoff twins, it was a deal they were allowed to use the characters but couldn't refer to them as mutants or allude to their father, Magneto.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Sub-Mariner is awesome. They should have worked him into the MCU so he could have been in Civil War. MCU doesnt really have any anti-heros, although maybe now its Tony Stark. Just need to remove the wings on his feet.

Namor is, traditionally, more of a nemesis for the FF, though. Doesn't make much sense to bring him into the MCU unless they get the FF, too.

Eventually Marvel will get the rights back to all of their characters, but I'm afraid that superhero movies will have jumped the shark by then.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Namor is, traditionally, more of a nemesis for the FF, though. Doesn't make much sense to bring him into the MCU unless they get the FF, too.

Eventually Marvel will get the rights back to all of their characters, but I'm afraid that superhero movies will have jumped the shark by then.

He has a long history though predating the FF. They could have tied him in with Captain America and the original Human Torch fighting Nazis and/or Hydra.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
They need to stop using the word millions in movies to make us think of a lot of money. Gotta start using billions.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I have never understood the whole superhero genre and few of the movies have any interest for me. I watched some of the earlier F4 movies but not even Alba could keep me awake. But, as bad as the earlier movies were in my view this just looks awful...

Brian

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Heard the director got ejected from directing a Star Wars movie because of the crap he pulled with this film.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
As Howard Stern said what kind of a-hole calls himself "Mr. Fantastic".

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I think we've reached about peak superhero and on the downward slope of quality and fun.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yeah stop these superhero movies, cause the alternatives coming out are so much better so just having more of those instead would be a great thing.