Fans for Antec 300

Odysseus145

Aug 1, 2006
I just got an Antec 300 case, and I love it. The scythe fans I put in it however whine loudly when put behind any grill or filter. I see that the Noctua NF-P12 is supposed to be good for that situation but they're also pretty expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives that would offer similar performance?

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
One can't expect a 100+ CFM fan to run silently at full speed. You just have to choose your poison on the quality of the noise. If the noise is in a frequency range that irritates you, there's not much to be done about it. If the noise is acceptable without grilles or filters, then you'll just not have to use grills or filters. Take the Doctor's advice: "If it hurts when you do that, then stop doing that..."
. My Y720 fans (in the FS/T listing linked below) are tolerable to me at full speed (but apparently they don't generate a full 100 CFM at full speed either), but they might seem like "screaming meemies" to you.
. Generally, to get anything like 100+ CFM without a lot of noise takes 38mm thick fans or those 250mm giants, both of which may not fit in some cases.

.bh.

Odysseus145

Aug 1, 2006
I'll readily admit I messed up buying the "H" model scythe's. I was trying to get the "M" but at the time Newegg was sold out. As I hadn't had much experience with fans, I didn't think the extra noise would be too noticeable. I was apparently very wrong. Not long after that I got the "M" to put in the side, and it doesn't really sound much better.

But as I said before the adapters I found have them running much more slowly and quietly. The sound level is acceptable, but I just wanted to see if there were any affordable options for fans that might be designed with being behind a filter and grill in mind.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Trouble is that no one but you knows what sounds are irritating to you. Reviewers at SilentPCReview.com often post sound clips of the reviewed fans. But I doubt they'd even review a fan that can push 110 CFM except maybe cranked back on a controller.

.bh.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I have an Antec 900 and have the fans that came with the case on the front and these Antec TriCool on the side panel and the rear with every fan set on low and my system is fairly quiet and still cools really well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I use some Antec TriCool DBB fans on my Antec 300 case, all fans set on high, and still only a fairly quiet whoosh.

Edit: The DBB (double ball-bearing) fans do NOT have LEDs.

Odysseus145

Aug 1, 2006
I do like the tri-cools that came with the case, but all I don't really want any led fans and that seems to be all the egg offers. Anyway thanks for all the help guys. When I get my hands on some spending money I'll probably pick up one or two noctua's and maybe a fan controller.