Fan spins at max RPM despite CPU is idle

YNK93

Apr 14, 2019
Last week I built my very first PC. Yesterday morning I had to take the last step, which was installing Windows 10 onto the SSD. Everything went smooth, until after about half a minute I realized that one of the fans was making a lot of noise. Not long after Windows had succesfully booted, the GPU's fans automatically turned off because it wasn't being used. That's when I knew the sound was coming from the CPU cooler, the Wraith Stealth. I immediately downloaded NZXT's Cam software to try and figure out what was going on. Apparently the fan was spinning at ~1660 RPM (which is its max speed according to Cam) despite the fact that the processor wasn't under any load.

What I also find to be a bit odd, is that there is a strange noise coming from the system. It sounds as if something is slightly vibrating, which I assume is being caused by the CPU cooler. Here's an audio sample, you have to turn up the volume very high to hear it though: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0N03jtk7Men

Here's a screenshot of Cam: Here's a screenshot of Ryzen Master:
Does anyone know what could be causing this problem and how to fix it?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The answers that users you have received from posting this over on Tom's, Linustechtips, PCpartPicker, and Gathering.Tweakers covered just about everything you need to check out.

When you have the same post across 5 different forums, it really just has users giving you the same answers / things to check out.

YNK93

Apr 14, 2019
The answers that users you have received from posting this over on Tom's, Linustechtips, PCpartPicker, and Gathering.Tweakers covered just about everything you need to check out.

When you have the same post across 5 different forums, it really just has users giving you the same answers / things to check out.
I have to be honest, you caught me off guard here. I just thought that if I got my question posted on several different forums, that I would be able to fix this problem as fast as possible. I would rather work on other, more important things than having to deal with this CPU cooler.

Are you active on ALL of these forums then? If not, then that's kind off creepy that you went and Googled my name and/or the title of this thread. I don't understand why anyone would take his time to do that, but okay...

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Are you active on ALL of these forums then? If not, then that's kind off creepy that you went and Googled my name and/or the title of this thread. I don't understand why anyone would take his time to do that, but okay...

No, I am not stalking you. The forum has automated protections that alerts various people) of potential concerns / spam when users meet certain guidelines. Plus, it's good policy to inspect included links from brand-new users to protect users from potential sources of malware.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=https://vocaroo.com/i/s0N03jtk7Men

Now if you would excuse me, I have to go and Google more names, and make my lists. ;)

giphy.gif