Fan speed mod to Diamond Radeon HD 2600xt: Is this a legitimate modification? My eBay buyer doesn't think so.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
WiscGuy, you obviously had your mind made up about this before you even posted. You just wanted a tech head site to validate your position so you could throw it in the face of your buyer. We get it: you did a fan mod, it's stated ("clearly" or not) in your ad text, you gave instructions to the buyer, and the buyer ignored them and wants compensation. But tcsenter has a valid objection to your ad print and treatment of your buyer. Take it as a warning of what could be used against you should you decide not to yield to the buyer's demands. You don't have to be condescending in the face of criticism; otherwise, don't bother asking the question in the first place.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: CoinOperatedBoy
WiscGuy, you obviously had your mind made up about this before you even posted. You just wanted a tech head site to validate your position so you could throw it in the face of your buyer. We get it: you did a fan mod, it's stated ("clearly" or not) in your ad text, you gave instructions to the buyer, and the buyer ignored them and wants compensation. But tcsenter has a valid objection to your ad print and treatment of your buyer. Take it as a warning of what could be used against you should you decide not to yield to the buyer's demands. You don't have to be condescending in the face of criticism; otherwise, don't bother asking the question in the first place.

I really don't think WiscGuy was trying to deceive. It would be one thing if he burried under 4 pages of text something like, "this card does not work" but in this case within mounds of text was nothing more then the explaination that a mod meant to improve the card was done to the card.

When you post on a public forum looking for opinions chances are not all of those opinions are going to be what you'd like to hear. No need for people to get nasty with each other over this.

I'd say be happy this worked out for you and take it as a lesson for next time you sell something on Ebay so this kind of thing hopefully doesn't happen again. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you and the buyer is happy. If everyone is happy then who cares at this point.

*edit - Also, if the seller does happen to want to refund the card due to the 256 bit error then I would think it would be your responsibility to do so at your cost. If the seller doesn't care about that misprint then so be it.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
I really don't think WiscGuy was trying to deceive. It would be one thing if he burried under 4 pages of text something like, "this card does not work" but in this case within mounds of text was nothing more then the explaination that a mod meant to improve the card was done to the card.

Well yeah, I make no accusation of deception. The mention of the fan mod might have been somewhat buried in the ad text, but I definitely agree that it was the buyer's failure to fully read the product description and WiscGuy's instructions before purchasing and using the card. And if the buyer didn't notice or care about the 128- vs. 256-bit misprint, then so be it. I just take issue with WiscGuy's response to real concerns about his ad that the buyer could have raised, not to mention his sarcastic and prolix ad hominem rants against tcsenter.

But whatevz, thread over. Glad the buyer came to his senses.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
For the record, I do not believe he overtly 'hid' the fan mod statement with any awareness it would be less conspicuous or likely to be noticed. Rather, I think it occurred quite unintentionally through a combination of his ignorance and a stunning degree of apathy or lack of concern that his advertising style may not be an effective way to communicate such disclosures.

However, some people are chronically or serially involved in such 'unintentional' incidents because you can't learn from anything when you are never wrong. In their mind, there is only black and white. If someone else doesn't see his black and white, well they're obviously just stupid or dishonest. There is no 'grey', 'nuance', or 'middle ground' in the world. As long as the disclosure was put somewhere in the auction listing, it meets the most literal and narrow meaning and that's all they are obligated to do. There is no other interpretation.

Its like someone who comes to work and does the absolute minimum required to avoid getting fired based on their interpretation of the job description, and scoffs at the very suggestion there may be other ways to interpret the job description that see something more. Its enough for these people that they always "meet" some bare minimum construed in the most narrow sense that also happens to always be self-serving (purely by "coincidence", of course). Indeed, they often build themselves up based on the fact they "always" meet their obligations and lament how others do not meet this standard. Nevermind that they have interpreted those obligations in a way that sets the bar for themselves about as low as anyone could possibly get away with, while holding others to a much higher standard. e.g. the buyer is responsible to know if the card exists in 256-bit, but I'm not responsible to know that my disclosure may not be noticed. The buyer must accept responsibility not only for his mistakes but mine, too.

And all that cuts straight to ethics (and personality traits).

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
Is it worth all this?

Ebay buyers are not ALL tech savvy and, some, have strange motives . I would just take it back, give the buyer his money, and chalk it up to lessons learned.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
Originally posted by: sgrinavi
Is it worth all this?

Ebay buyers are not ALL tech savvy and, some, have strange motives . I would just take it back, give the buyer his money, and chalk it up to lessons learned.

WiscGuy did not clearly disclose that the buyer reversed his position, read the ad, and accepted responsibility for the card. It was only briefly mentioned within a large block of text. If you felt this information was not accurately and clearly portrayed in his posts, perhaps you should contact him and request a refund.