Fan Speed Fix for HD 4870?

BroadbandGamer

Sep 13, 2003
I just picked up a VisionTek HD 4870. Can someone please point me to the fix for the fan speed?

Thanks,

Nov 26, 2005
First off if you are using a gigabyte board you MUST flash your bios to the newest bios available. Than just follow these simple steps.

Make sure windows is set to show hidden files.

First Enable Overdrive in the Catalyst Control Center.

Next Create a new Profile using the Profiles Manager in the CCC and make sure Save All Catalyst Control Center Settings is checked.

For Vista 32/64

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

For XP 32/64

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.

Save the file, then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC. Done.

Copied and Pasted from UT3 forums, Enjoy

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
I have a GIGABYTE board, and I didn't have to do any flashing at all. I'm not sure if my board happened to ship with the latest BIOS, but, I had to do no such thing in order to edit my fan speeds.

ManWithNoName

Oct 19, 2007
Originally posted by: BTRY B 529th FA BN

Copied and Pasted from UT3 forums, Enjoy

The actual origin of this fan fix is from Guru3D.com forums and the originator's name is Bretware. I modified his step-by-step a bit and that is the version you have above and I guess someone posted it on UT3 forums. I also added some edits to it which may be of some value as well ....

Edit:

After experimenting with my HIS HD4870 I found a fan-speed of 37% works best for me. My temps went from 79C at idle to 48C.

Edit 1:

Contrary to instructions posted on Guru3D by Bretware, some users are able to set their fan speed to "Automatic" rather than "Manual". Having it set to "Automatic" should allow the fan speed to ramp-up if needed beyond the fan-speed you entered. This doesn't work for me however and I must use "Manual".

Edit 2:

If you're using the Beta 8.7 Drivers, the XML file will now be located in a subfolder of the "Ace" folder called "Profiles"

Edit 3:

If you cannot locate the AppData folder you may need to goto Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> and put a check in the box that says "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

**I see they took my "Edit 3" and moved it to the top. I disagree with that as most people don't need to do the Show Hidden Files step.

BroadbandGamer

Sep 13, 2003
I changed it to 35% and that's a little more pleasing to my ears.

Now that I have it set to manual will the card increase the fan speed automatically when I'm playing a game?

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: BroadbandGamer
OK I got the fan running at 40%. Oh man is this thing loud! No wonder ATI had it turned down so low.

What loud? I don't hear any noise :confused: ...just installed mine but am going to return it and buy 4870X2 when it comes out.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I changed it to 35% and that's a little more pleasing to my ears.

Now that I have it set to manual will the card increase the fan speed automatically when I'm playing a game?

Nope, your best bet is to just make another profile with higher clocks and higher fan speed.

BroadbandGamer

Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Aberforth
OK I got the fan running at 40%. Oh man is this thing loud! No wonder ATI had it turned down so low.

What loud? I don't hear any noise :confused: ...just installed mine but am going to return it and buy 4870X2 when it comes out.

I might do the same. When is the X2 suppose to be released?

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006

I might do the same. When is the X2 suppose to be released?

Within this month.

phexac

Jul 19, 2007
Frankly this is something that would make me not want to get the 4870. Is it really that much to ask a company to set proper fan speed control for their video cards? Looks like I'll be going with GTX260+ or GTX280+ when they come out. Really don't feel like dealing with a company that is not able to fix such simple and glaring issue with their hardware.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: phexac
Frankly this is something that would make me not want to get the 4870. Is it really that much to ask a company to set proper fan speed control for their video cards? Looks like I'll be going with GTX260+ or GTX280+ when they come out. Really don't feel like dealing with a company that is not able to fix such simple and glaring issue with their hardware.

Have fun with that.

ManWithNoName

Oct 19, 2007
So Automatic doesn't work for me.

What's a good speed to set the fan when I'm playing Crysis?

Setting the fan speed to 37%-38% drops my temps by 30C for me and I only use one profile. I ran Fur Mark at max settings for an hour and the highest temps I recorded were 89C-90C and Crysis is any harder on your GPU than Fur Mark. So the best thing you can do is just monitor your temps during a Fur Mark session and if you need additional cooling create a second gaming profile as Canai suggested or up the fan speed in a single profile. You should not have to jack the speed up to 60% for decent temps either, the noise level would be maddening. The single-slot HD 4850 is a different story however and tends to run hotter.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Canai

Have fun with that.

Dang, beat me to it. ;)

The 4870s may have had some fan speed problems, but those are easily worked around. A defective GPU pretty much requires an RMA.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Setting fan speed to 65-70% drops temps by 30° C.

At 65-70% you better have some great headphones or turn up the speakers to 10 :)
I found that at 40% the noise was annoying and could still be heard over the game sounds!
I suggest you let it run hot, which these 48xx series do anyway, rather than deal with the fan noise.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Bateluer

Have fun with that.

Dang, beat me to it. ;)

The 4870s may have had some fan speed problems, but those are easily worked around. A defective GPU pretty much requires an RMA.

I thought that this thread was about the 48xx series?
So if there is a legitimate concern with the 48xx series, it's ok because the 2xx series has problems? Oh and BTW, the 2xxx series is not each and every card, the whole 48xx series has the heat/noise issues.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
Do people really expect new top of the line cards to run as quiet and cool as the top of the line cards we saw 8 years ago?

More power = more heat = more cooling.

I do not consider my 4870 to have heat or noise problems. My temps are great at 40% fan speed. I don't know how different the coolers are on different brands, but my HIS stock cooler is just fine. Hardly noticeable at all at 40%.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

Some people worry about temps too much,my 4870 I just leave it on auto default fan speed,nice and quiet with 78-80c idle temps,even with FurMark max it has reached is 92c,no issues in any games or any artifacts so bascially its rock solid.

I can see overclockers wanting to change the heatsink/fan combo for something better,however for non overclocked speeds I have no problems with the temps.

End of the day there are solutions for those that are concerned,simple fan hack being one of them.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: ginfest
Originally posted by: Bateluer

Have fun with that.

Dang, beat me to it. ;)

I thought that this thread was about the 48xx series?
So if there is a legitimate concern with the 48xx series, it's ok because the 2xx series has problems? Oh and BTW, the 2xxx series is not each and every card, the whole 48xx series has the heat/noise issues.

No, what I was saying is that if you compare the top two cards right now, one suffers from running hot, but can be fixed with a text file edit, and the other runs hot and dies and needs to be RMA'd.

Plus, if you don't mind 90ºC air venting into or out of your case, there's actually no problem at all. The 48xx series cards have never fried themselves or downclocked themselves.

I was merely pointing out that if people thought the heat issues with the 48xx cards were a dealbreaker for purchasing them, the other top-of-the-line cards out there are actually in worse shape :)

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ginfest
Setting fan speed to 65-70% drops temps by 30° C.

At 65-70% you better have some great headphones or turn up the speakers to 10 :)
I found that at 40% the noise was annoying and could still be heard over the game sounds!
I suggest you let it run hot, which these 48xx series do anyway, rather than deal with the fan noise.

Not if your running all your case fans on high... then you can't hear it until like 100%

Which is the case for most OCers anyways...