Fan Speed Controller Question

mikeyikeey

Jun 26, 2007
Hello everyone,

So I stumbled upon an interesting discovery recently. The Zalman ZM-MFC2. I'm planning on building a new computer very soon ( once the 22nd hits, I'm ready to go ) and I know this will look sweet in my Antec Nine Hundred.

Now the question, will it be compatible with the fans that come with the case?
Also, I'm planning on getting a Tuniq Tower for some cooling. Will it be able to control that too?

I would hate to buy that sweet thing only to find out it can't control any fans. If anyone can tell me, please do! Better yet, if anyone owns it let me know how it performs! I've already read a few reviews and they sounded impressed!

Well folks, let me know what you think!

WoodButcher

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2001
It will run the memory cooler w/no rpm reading, as to plugging in your case fans, if they are 4pin molex plugs you may need to use an adapter or change the plugs on your fans, if the fans support rpm they will already be a 3pin or 4 so you can plug them right in.
Personally I would not get this control because of the rpm feature. I have more than 4 fans in almost every box I've built.

ChefJoe

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Antec tri-cool fans usually ship with a 4 pin molex power plug and have a speed selector switch attached. They don't ship ready for RPM monitoring (probably with the idea that you'd use their fan only headers on an Antec PSU to control fan speed).

The zalman should still be able to control all fan speeds with adapters (using voltage only) but it won't have any clue what the actual fan speed is in rpm. The now standard CPU cooling fan has a 4 pin mini connector (which is compatible with the 3 pin mini plugs too) so you should be fine with the cpu cooler and memory cooler you linked too.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
If you use the fans that come with the 900, you will need to set their local speed switches to full speed then use the Zalman to control them. Connector adapters will be needed if the fan connectors are as mentioned in the above posts. The fans that come with the 900 each have 3-speed local switches, so no other controller is really needed.

.bh.

eklock2000

Jan 11, 2007
Echo what everyone else said. I've got this controller installed in my Antec900 and I'm somewhat satisfied. My case is on the floor and the display is impossible to see unless you are looking straight at it. I'm considering modding the case to add the controller to the top somewhere. If your case in on your desk, you're probably in better shape.

I've got it running my Zalman9700, an Antec Spot Cool (on high), two 40mm fans for chipsets (using included 3pinx2 splitter), and waiting for a PWM fan to use the 4pin connector. I've got two 3pin fans hooked up to the last one, but you can't control the rpm from the 4pin.

Hope that helps.

EK2K

Stefx

Jul 17, 2007
Originally posted by: mikeyikeey

Also, I'm planning on getting a Tuniq Tower for some cooling. Will it be able to control that too?

The Tuniq Tower comes with its own speed knob, you do not need a fan controller for it.
The speed knob goes in a slot and is accessible from the rear of the computer.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
How does the earlier version ZM-MFC1 compare to the ZM-MFC2? I been considering a controller unit but I may just go with using SpeedFan.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
SpeedFan can't do anything with fans not connected to a mobo fan connector.

.bh.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I thought if the fans were connected to the mobo SpeedFan could control them? Now i'm confused. :laugh:

mikeyikeey

Jun 26, 2007
So this is what I've concluded from what everyones said..

1 - Case Fans
Zalman can control the speeds, but have no clue what the RPM is. Which so far makes the Zalman useless unless it can control / show RPM's for the..

2 - Tuniq Tower
I realize it comes with its own speed controller, but this things so much cooler than that! Will I be able to use the Zalman with it AND see the RPM?

3 - Memory Fans
Again, I can control it but I will not see the RPM.

Will I be able to see the RPM on anything!? It makes me wonder what reviewers hook up their controller to, to get everything showing! Help me out here guys, I want a cool controller! But not if it doesn't work on anything!

WoodButcher

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2001
If the "bling" is that important to you get it, It is a good contronller but you will need to buy your fans too fit the controller. Buy the tunig and replace the fan with another 4wire pwm. If the antecs don't have a 3 pin or won't work toss them and buy 3 yate loons high speed.
I have the ZM MFC1, a nexus 4 channel and a sunbeam 4 ch. None of them show rpm and I'm pleased with all three. If I needed to see rpm I would connect to the motherboard but I find rpm to be a useless feature. What is it this controller does that you find so attractive?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I assume the LED is its main attraction. Kinda reminds me of a stereo looking device. Anyway I can see what others are saying about rpm. You don't really need to see rpm. The knobs control the speed and thats all you really need. Set knob to lowest and fan is running at its slowest speed and if knob is set to high the fan is running its max speed. The two other things you'll be listening/looking for is fan noise, which no controller will tell you, and temp (most important) on your components after you have made an adjustment. Some controllers will tell temps. So thats your two most critical needs to know. Temps and noise. RPM speed isnt really important.

At least this is how I understand things anyway when it comes to this stuff.

mikeyikeey

Jun 26, 2007
You guys all make a good case, I just thought it would be cool if I could see the RPM's and get the most out of the Zalman. Yes, I'm too attracted to the 'bling' of this thing, and I'm sure I sound like a kid who wants candy. But it looks so coooooool! :p

So I could toss money towards getting a bunch of new Yate Loon fans, but I'll pass. A lot of people previously posted that the fans can be plugged in with an adapter, but again, no RPM reading. Controlling case fans doesn't bother me so much, as mentioned the fans provided by Antec have controls on them.

As for the Tuniq, will I be able to plug in & control the fan in that comes with it? Or is it not compatible? If it isn't compatible, what 4wire PWM is?

And Skott, you make a good point. Again, I just thought it would be cool if everything would just work. :p
But as you said noise & heat are larger concerns.

So breaking it down, I will be able to control the memory cooler w/o an RPM reading and the Tuniq ( maybe ) with no RPM reading. That almost doesn't make it worth my while! :(
What to do, what to do!