Question Fan replacement

juzzlukin

Jan 19, 2017
A little under a year ago I purchased two ARCTIC P12-120 mm Case Fans, Fan Speed: 1800 RPM , MODEL # ACFAN00118A

Today, I perceived a subtle, high pitch sound, which stopped when I disconnected both fans, but when either is connected by itself, it produces the noise.

A third fan, original with the computer, is three years older than the others, but creates no such sound.

Since both are creating the noise, is this just a coincidence, or could there be something else fan related? I dunno, like whistling thru a vent or something. Just guessing. All the vents are clean.

I liked these fans from the beginning, pretty quiet, but since they are both making noise after only a year, I'm thinking I need to replace with a different brand. Or is this just something one should expect from this example of type and value, particularly since that older fan has outlasted them.

I also noticed during preliminary fan shopping that some fans are described as drawing air in as well as pushing out. Are they talking about doing both at the same time or perhaps reversing the way it is mounted to created the desired effect?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Those fans should have a 6 year warranty on them, so you probably can get a RMA from Artic. As far as sound goes, if you are running them high enough, you should hear wind noise. You shouldn't be hearing noise from the bearing, but it's hard to say without hearing what you experiencing. Maybe you could upload a YouTube video so we can hear what you are hearing.

I also noticed during preliminary fan shopping that some fans are described as drawing air in as well as pushing out. Are they talking about doing both at the same time or perhaps reversing the way it is mounted to created the desired effect?
One side of the fan pulls air into it, and exhausts it out on the other side. So yes, it depends on how you mount it and what direction the air will go. Most fans have an arrow on one of the sides showing which direction the airflow goes to.

Last edited:

juzzlukin

Jan 19, 2017
Is this weird?...I just decided to go in and clean up all the fans, vents, and dusted with air compressor. Way overdue. The fans were very dirty. Now, I'm not hearing that high pitched noise anymore. Does that make sense?

I'm not a gamer. I don't need something elaborate, but if I was to replace the fans, would a two way be of benefit to me?

My machine runs anywhere from 29c to 39c when not under stress, so I'm thinking the fan performance is adequate.

What would you suggest?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is this weird?...I just decided to go in and clean up all the fans, vents, and dusted with air compressor. Way overdue. The fans were very dirty. Now, I'm not hearing that high pitched noise anymore. Does that make sense?

I'm not a gamer. I don't need something elaborate, but if I was to replace the fans, would a two way be of benefit to me?
There's no "two-way fans. By design, fan blades pulling air from one side goes out the other way.

But if your fans and PC were clogged with dust, it's not uncommon for there to be less noise when cleaned.