fan on heatsink?

jswjimmy

Jul 24, 2003
most people say blowing is better, why dont you try it both ways then see what one gets better temps. its not going to kill your proc.

Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: jswjimmy
most people say blowing is better, why dont you try it both ways then see what one gets better temps. its not going to kill your proc.
sometimes it depends on the case's air flow, and the heatsink. the only way to know is to try.

vinnyracer

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
Do you think there is a bigger differences in temp. from blow out or in. Or is it just marginal differences. Cause I rather have it blow out if there is not a big differences. Too much dust get in the heatsink after a while if I have it blow in.

jhurst

Mar 29, 2004
I always get better temps with more positive case airflow. The more air I have blowing on the HS, the better the temps are.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
I would think that most closed-bottom heatsinks would benefit from a crossflow setup, but you'd have to rig up some kind of duct and heatsink housing to be sure the air actually went across the fins. Other than that, just experiment and see what works better as already suggested above. But I suppose that the convention is blowing into the fins for a reason - probably the fact that air, like water and students takes the path of least resistance... So unless the fan is tightly coupled and sealed to the heatsink, most of the air drawn by the fan would not be passing thru the fins to any degree if it could be avoided.
.bh.