Fan layout feedback for my new rig (R5 case w/ 980Ti & i7-6700k)

SirFelixCat

Nov 24, 2005
Tonight I build my new rig and would love feedback on what I have planned and if I need to place the 4th case fan that I have.

Components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan

Now, with that said, I plan on removing the Optical Drive bays and, after removing both of the HDD bays, moving one of the bays to the top to ensure clear airflow from the front fans back to the center of the case.

Here is a pic of the planned fan placement and airflow: http://imgur.com/LLOf0h6

The question that I have is with a reasonable OC on the CPU (4.6G) and the GPU being what it is, is this enough cool air coming into the case? Do I want to place another intake fan at the bottom, forward of the PSU or would that be overkill? I would like to leave the top of the case covered for sound dampening, as that's one of the main reasons I got the case.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
For my build, I left the lower part of HDD bays in place, in order to be somewhat cooled by the lower/front side fan. I observed between 32-35c idle temperature for my group of HDDs/SSDs (two each).

I've placed a 120mm-1000rpm fan on the bottom vent, however, it's pretty restricted and barely moves air. As a result, the PCH temperature is more than what I'd like it to be during load (around 40-50, depends on ambient temp). Board is also Gigabyte Z170.

Personally, I removed both dust filters at front and bottom; creates better airflow, but I'd be also prepared for air-blower cleaning jobs every couple of months - mind that it's a heavy case as you've already observed.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Only the 5-bay drive cage (middle one) can be installed in the top position, after removing the ODD bay. And then will partially cover the higher placed front fan.

Since you only have one SSD and one HDD, I'll use the lower 3-bay drive cage, in it's original position (bottom of the case, with the opening facing the side of the case). In this case, the lower front fan will be the one partially restricted, but the higher front fan looks to be more important for bringing cooler air to GPU and CPU areas.

The best solution would be to experiment with different fan configurations, but that would take a lot of time.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
One in the top front, one in rear and one up top, probably in the rear mounting spot. Get a fourth fan for the front later if you think you need it. Top exhaust helps a lot.

I have 4 cooling fans in that setup for my 2500k in a R4. The 8350 is in an Arc Midi with just one front cooling fan in the upper spot to push air to the gpu. My two ssd's and a hdd are in the lower cage and stay right around 25-32C.