Fan Issue with Sapphire 7950 Dual X

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Anyone experience this?

Card is still under warranty, but honestly its been very lightly used since I bought it. I'm quite surprised one of the fans on the Dual X 7950 is crapping out on me. It spins at maybe 30% and has a loud click/ticking sound.

I've heard some stories on here about Sapphire taking 2-3 months to replace a card via RMA. Is that true? Or would I be better off buying a set of new fans off ebay for $20 and install them?

I haven't actually looked at the fan/card too closely yet - Is it a big deal to replace the fans on this card? Anyone have any experience doing it? Do I need to remove the entire cooler off the card?

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I would fill out a support ticket and see if they can just send you the fan shroud setup, especially if the card is still working properly.

It looks like only four screws need to be removed in order to remove the fan shroud assembly.

7950-06.jpg

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I would fill out a support ticket and see if they can just send you the fan shroud setup, especially if the card is still working properly.

It looks like only four screws need to be removed in order to remove the fan shroud assembly.

7950-06.jpg

Yeah

Luckily I have the HD 4600 I can fall back on for a while if I do end up sending it back.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Personally I wouldn't even bother with the RMA. Takes so long..... I'd strip the junk fans off and slap a couple arctic 92mm on there and call it a day.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Just a quick Google search shows tons of people complaining of fans quitting on these

So why replace junky fans with more junky fans? No, I was thinking way more ugly like stripping off the shroud and slapping a couple case fans on the heat sink.