Question Fan is making a start up noise, then disappears

icyulkn

Mar 25, 2019
The fan makes a not-so-great noise for about 7-10 seconds and then goes away. Can someone tell me if this is a sign of a failing fan? I have another day or two before I can return it. Thanks

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Although "the fan" doesn't provide much info on what model you have, generally if a new fan is making noise, return it. It likely has a defect in the motor or bearing.

icyulkn

Mar 25, 2019
When I power down the computer and let the fan sit and then power it up again it doesn't make the sound. When I leave it off overnight, it makes the sound. Do you know why this is the case?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
When I power down the computer and let the fan sit and then power it up again it doesn't make the sound. When I leave it off overnight, it makes the sound. Do you know why this is the case?
Without having it in my hand, like I said it could be the bearing or motor.

You still haven't said what model of fan it is. Different fans have varying quality and bearings. Some bearings are noisier than others.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've never heard of that brand before, so I would return it if I were in your position. A HDB bearing really shouldn't make much noise.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
if its not a new fan, and has been used for awhile, try spraying it out with air. the motor area specifically. i know alot of people dont like doing it, but i put a drop of oil when mine do that. dust and dirt can get in there, i spray them out good, put a little drop in there and fixes them almost all the time.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It should never make a noise like that, any sort of uneven motion producing noise is hard on the bearing and if it goes away it is just a sign of thermal expansion changes and that the bearing has a new, unintended groove worn into it that will accelerate further wear.

Without question it should be returned. If you're stuck with it now, I'd at least lube the bearing. If it doesn't have a removable oil bung to do that, I'd have returned it the moment I saw that feature missing at this price point. It's an unacceptable omission to me on any fan costing over ~$4, but then I also won't pay over $4/fan unless it is a major (full line including industrial) fan manufacturer brand.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I'm curious as to the position of the fan's mount. Since the fan's using what's essentially an enhanced sleeve bearing (rifle bearing), I'd be willing to bet the lube/oil contained in the sleeve is taking a while to re-lubricate the fan's rotating shaft, which is why I asked about the mounting position. If horizontally mounted, I'd make sure the bearing end of the fan is on the bottom, or down, as opposed to being on the top, or up. The oil's "kept" basically in a puddle at the base of the sleeve/rifle bearing, so mounting with it at the top allows the oil to slowly migrate down the shaft, potentially exposing the shaft to non-lubricated bearing wall. When it starts, the rifle groove in the bearing does eventually pull the oil back into the bearing.

And despite mfgr's stating rifle bearings overcome this disadvantage of sleeve bearings, depending upon the quality of the rifle bearing can definitely lead to typical sleeve bearing problems.