Fan died on 6790, what cooler do I need?

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by Danimal1209, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Danimal1209

Danimal1209 Senior member

I want to remove the fan that is on it and replace it with a better, more reliable one.

Do I need anything specific? I've never had to replace a fan on one of these and am not sure how they are seated. Is it just like a fan on a heatsink for a cpu?

Can I just buy a universal one?

Advice?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - died cooler Forum Date
    [PCGamesn Rumor]Nvidia’s next-gen Volta GPUs to get a little die-shrink after all Video Cards and Graphics Jan 28, 2017
    Error Qcode D6 GPU died in new build and i have no idea why need help Video Cards and Graphics Jun 10, 2016
    Video card displayport and HDMI died? Video Cards and Graphics May 18, 2016
    r9 380x died... Video Cards and Graphics May 16, 2016
    fan on Zalman gpu cooler died Video Cards and Graphics Aug 3, 2006

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

What exact card is it?

4. Danimal1209

HIS 6790, not the iceQ version.

Here's the link: http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-622.shtml

All the ones on newegg that say they fit my card are really expensive. I don't need anything amazing. I just want something that works and keeps temps decent.

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

Damn HIS cards and their crap fans. They always seem to die.

I'm assuming the fan is either dead or dying. So here's what I'd do if I were you

1. Remove the cooler from the card. It's basically all of the Philips screws on the back. The center 4 are the ones that actually hold the cooler to the GPU. Be sure to use the right size screwdriver. If you strip those little screws you'll have a really hard time finding replacements as most hardware stores do not carry ones that small. I believe the screwdriver you'll need is a Philips#00.

Once the screws are removed, unplug the fan from the card and see how it's attached. Probably another 3 screws from the backside of the plastic shroud. Remove the fan.

On the back of the fan, there'll be a bunch of numbers. You can use these numbers to buy a replacement fan off of eBay. I did that with a 5870 I had (also a HIS card). It came all the way from China so it took a little bit, but it worked perfectly. While I was waiting, I took the shroud(the plastic part) off of the cooler and zip-tied a 120mm case fan to it.

Once you get the fan out, take a picture of the sticker on the backside and post it up.
    Also, you can try to dismantle the fan. It's only held in by a retention ring. If you use two wide flat bladed screwdrivers, you can pop it off usually. Then smear some Vaseline on the shaft and reassemble.
    You can use silicone lubricant too. However, it's best if it's a grease of some sort.

6. Danimal1209

yeah, I have a case fan sitting just below it right now.

7. Plimogz

Plimogz Senior member

While I doubt that you're going to attempt the fan refurb with fresh lube, I must say that contrary to the advice above I would at certainly recommend a light oil instead of something thicker like grease or vaseline because the load is just so light that anything thicker than a thin liquid would be overkill and not the best option.

Also, you can try shooting off an email to HIS customer support and see if they might oblige you with a replacement fan. It may not work, but in these cases it can be worth a shot.

8. Leyawiin

Leyawiin Diamond Member

9. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

No warranty left?