Fan Controller

Aug 15, 2004
I recently upgraded my case, and decided that I would install a fan controller (Thermaltake Xcontroller) while I was re-routing wiring anyway. I love the fact that my case is soo much quieter, but I have a question. I have 4 case fans (2x intake front, 2x exhaust rear), and a blue cold cathode light. I was wondering if this was possible:

Ch1: 2 intake fans
Ch2: 2 exhaust fans
Ch3: Cathode light
Ch4: Chaintech AA6800 GPU fan?

The vid card fan is currently the loudest thing in my case, when the fans are on low. I was wondering if it was possible/safe to put the vid card fan on the controller, so I could turn it down when not doing graphics-intensive things.

Nickel020

Jun 26, 2002
Well, you'll need an adapter to make the GPU fan fit into the fan controller. GPU fans usually use proprietary connectors and you'll have a hard time finding one. You could put a different connector on the fan wires, but it's hard to tell whether the fan will still cool the GPU sufficiently at lower voltages and how much noise reduction you will actually achieve.
Might be a better choice to go with a NVidia Silencer from Arctic Cooling or a heatpipe cooler with an added fan.

Aug 15, 2004
well, I have the cathode hooked up already, and it seems to work well, it just has to be started at 12V. My question was more as to whether it was safe to run the cathode on the fan controller. As far as the GPU cooler, you're right, the NVsilencer is nice, but I was just trying to avoid dropping the money into this I suppose.