Family paints huge BETO sign on lawn, sparking a feud with the HOA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
The idea of an authority telling you what you can do to your own lawn is completely absurd. Yeah it's an eye sore, but it's their property and they should be able to do whatever the hell they want.

Really if it was not for the whole "eye sore" complaints front lawns could be used for more things. Even in non HOAs there tends to be lot of stupid rules. Like I always wanted to put a solar array on my front lawn, but I don't think that would be allowed even though I'm not in a HOA. Cities tend to be super strict about structures especially on front laws. Plenty of stories of people trying to grow a garden and being told they can't. It's BS. It should be a human right to be able to fully own land and do what you want on it.
Its eh... sometimes *gulp* a necessary evil. As much as I don't want to say that. People are fucking bad at maintaining their home. Why should that affect your home value? It shouldn't, but it does for obvious reasons. Location location location.

It's when they start trying to do shit like designate what color mulch people can use is where I draw the line.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Its eh... sometimes *gulp* a necessary evil. As much as I don't want to say that. People are fucking bad at maintaining their home. Why should that affect your home value? It shouldn't, but it does for obvious reasons. Location location location.

It's when they start trying to do shit like designate what color mulch people can use is where I draw the line.

I find people obsess way too much over their house value. I don't tend to dwell to much on that myself. Chances are good if my house value goes up all the other houses are going up too, if it goes down, all the other ones go down too. So it does not really change much as far as if I want to move, I won't be able to afford more or less house even if my value is higher because all the other houses will be more expensive too. At least, in average. Guess if I'm downgrading then if the values are up then I get more money extra in general.

Someone at work was saying that MPAC (company that determines house value, which determines how much taxes you pay) actually does indeed base your house value based on the neighbours too. So if my neighbour renovates their house and makes it look super nice, that means I end up paying more taxes. I would rather them having a couple cars parked on blocks if it means I pay less taxes. :p