Family of surviving Somali pirate wants him released...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

little elvis

Sep 8, 2005
If he is really under the age of 18, couldn't he be classified as a child soldier. Just curious on how that effects any trial.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Bulk Beef
If his age is in question, just cut him in half and count the rings.

congratulations, you win the thread!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I say we need to drop this 'minor' crap today. It's become a way to get a kid to be a trigger or bag man.

Prosecute the parents as if they did the crime. I can guarantee shit will get corrected once a few wannabe gangster parents end up in a federal lockup.

Bring back the orphanages and get rid of much of the welfare while we are at it.

I am willing to bet in the end it will save us all a bunch of dough and create more productive members of society.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Engineer
I heard on the news (yesterday) that the Canadian Navy (didn't know they had one, lol) captured a boat load of pirates, took their weapons and interrogated them...and then...gasp...let them go.

Canada....srsly....

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: little elvis
If he is really under the age of 18, couldn't he be classified as a child soldier. Just curious on how that effects any trial.

No. The Navy had to wait for ever to attack while the FBI negotiated because piracy is not war; it is a crime just like armed robbery, it just happens to be done on a ship. If this was a war situation the Navy said they would have killed everyone much sooner.

Also, if it was an act of war we could just invade Somalia. Instead we have asked (and been granted) permission to go into the country in the limited scope of freeing hostages. The lawyer's defense idea that it is unlawful detainment of a surrendered war prisioner is total BS. This is not war. Any 16y.o. in the US that held up a bank with an AK-47 would be tried as an adult and this one should be too. Unless he really is 18 and then he's really screwed.

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
They should cut him,toss his worthless ass in the ocean and let the tide bring him in,or whats left of him...

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Originally posted by: Queasy
I heard on the news (yesterday) that the Canadian Navy (didn't know they had one, lol) captured a boat load of pirates, took their weapons and interrogated them...and then...gasp...let them go.

I guess you can do the crime without the time.

CNBC reported that each ship carries a "fund" of cash that they use to pay off pirates. I wonder how much cost that adds to our goods shipped from/to overseas?

Yep. That's been the standard procedure for British Navy for pirates they have captured.

No wonder the pirates have been running wild. Up until the Maersk, it was a high reward/low risk venture.
it has to do with International Law.

The British and Canadians could be charged and brought to the World Court for violating the Somali's rights to pirate.

I am not kidding either.

Yeah, you are not kidding, you're just daft.

It has to do with NATO guidelines, not international law and no, the World Court couldn't and wouldn't do sheit about it if it was withing NATO guidelines to hold them.

I think there has been enough evidence of those kinds of action in at least two continents and three wars?

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: DrawninwarD
Originally posted by: magreen
He would probably eat his mom as soon as look at her. Then find a civil rights lawyer to say he did it because he's uneducated.

WHAT THE FUCK?

It's the standard humanitarian defense, they declare them "non-human" and therefore they shouldn't be treated as humans.

Of course it's retarded but what do you expect from someone who is obviously "uneducated"?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Originally posted by: Queasy

I guess you can do the crime without the time.

CNBC reported that each ship carries a "fund" of cash that they use to pay off pirates. I wonder how much cost that adds to our goods shipped from/to overseas?

Yep. That's been the standard procedure for British Navy for pirates they have captured.

No wonder the pirates have been running wild. Up until the Maersk, it was a high reward/low risk venture.
it has to do with International Law.

The British and Canadians could be charged and brought to the World Court for violating the Somali's rights to pirate.

I am not kidding either.

Yeah, you are not kidding, you're just daft.

It has to do with NATO guidelines, not international law and no, the World Court couldn't and wouldn't do sheit about it if it was withing NATO guidelines to hold them.

I think there has been enough evidence of those kinds of action in at least two continents and three wars?
I wasn't being serious.

UN Security Council Resolution 1816 should allow us and NATO to be more aggressive towards pirates.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
In my opinion, they should have just shot him too. Would have saved everybody a bunch of time and expenses, and now this civil rights lawyer wants to represent him?! Is this guy nuts?

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: thegimp03
In my opinion, they should have just shot him too. Would have saved everybody a bunch of time and expenses, and now this civil rights lawyer wants to represent him?! Is this guy nuts?

He surrendered before the others got shot.

Billyzeke

Jul 7, 2006
AYE! Should have sent him to Davey Jones' locker by way of the plank on the ride over, matey!

Since we didn't have enough sense to shoot him on the spot to save us all this time, trouble and expense.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I feel sorry for him.. but he needs to die. Why are they charging him in New York and not in Texas?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Load him into a catapult on the New York City docks and send him home!

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Don't kill him. Harvest his organs for people who are dying because of kidney failure or something.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: babylon5
Don't kill him. Harvest his organs for people who are dying because of kidney failure or something.

That is not a good idea matey, you know a pirates life is mostly spent in the brothel when not on the high seas. You catch more than a good time in those places!

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
If you guys are so in love with the idea of instant on-the-spot executions, why haven't you moved to China or Iran yet?

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: jpeyton
If you guys are so in love with the idea of instant on-the-spot executions, why haven't you moved to China or Iran yet?

Or Somalia?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This is NOT an endorsement of piracy.

It's not always easy to see the other side of things, however if you look into the conditions which have caused the extreme poverty in Somalia, you'll find that the rest of the world decimated the only real source of income which was fishing and used the area to dump it's extremely toxic waste. While people ought to be accountable for their actions (and that's the pirate needs to answer for his crimes) not all of them are. It's legal to ruin an entire country. No, we cannot tolerate piracy and should not however there is no effective alternative for these people. It was taken from them.

Seems to me that a lot of people have things to answer for. Most of them won't.