Family has money for international travel, but not healthcare

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Here's what we know about the woman we're all talking about:

- She's very poor
- She works hard physical labor
- Her husband was deported years ago, meaning she probably wasn't an American citizen at the time and probably not since, and since he's in El Salvador there's a good chance she's El Salvadoran herself
- She wasn't herself deported, meaning she's probably legally allowed to be here

Here's what we do NOT know from the article:
- She has a bad loan on an expensive car
- She has a long term mortgage on a house she can't afford

But you accuse her of that anyway. That has to come from some kind of stereotyping. From what little we know about her, eskimospy figures the stereotyping is because she's hispanic. Based on your other comments I figure the stereotyping is because she's poor. It's also possible it's because she's an immigrant. Either way, it's not really warranted.

Notice how he has repeatedly described the cars that people couldn't afford as Chryslers with big rims. Culturally, who does America associate with such a vehicle? Minorities. It's a racial dog whistle.

The guy is a huge racist as evidenced by his extensive posting history here. It's funny to me how he keeps trying to play this game where he acts all confused and innocent.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
^ Only a state full of sociopaths would institute sociopathy.

That being said, if you have good skills, you can make bank there - great salaries with low COL.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after the demographic shifts hit in a couple decades.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Providing medical care is not solely a private venture. That's the idea behind county hospitals. I can't really get on board with a fully public system, as that severely disrupts the incentives that bring good people into medicine. A public\private system wherein the best care is available for those able to afford it, and those unable to command high prices provide public care do so is more appealing to me.

The only consumer in America for military hardware is the government. But I think that defense contractors do pretty well for themselves. Now we could go on for years about everything wrong with the defense industry, but one has to admit that nobody in America has ever been denied national defense because they couldn't afford it.

Most European countries have a baseline public system but the wealthy are more than free to buy more expensive coverage or work the private route. America already has an excellent maximum health care system. If you have the resources, you can get the best medicine in the world in the US. What we do not have is an established minimum.

The thing is, like national defense and education, it's in the country's best interest to provide healthcare to all its citizens. The upside is so much greater than the downside. It generates extra worker productivity, increases worker lifespan and frees up more consumer capital. Real dollar value gains for the country. Same goes for education. The money spent on education early pays off with better workers later. Then we wouldn't be printing H-1B visas as quickly as possible to keep educated foreign workers into the country.

Universal healthcare and heavily funding education make so much sense to me, as much so as funding a first rate national defense. America used to be smart, healthy and strong. Now we're just strong and, fortunately for us, that gets you a lot of street cred in the global community. But you can't get those things for free and many people don't want to pay for it. And that's where national defense has an advantage. You can go see a tank. You can see an F-22. You can see the soldiers. You know what you're getting. Education? Health Care? Not so much. Both of those are investments and we know how much Americans like investing compared to instant gratification.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
We're debating with bleeding-heart modern progressives.

In their eyes, the "evil rich people" (including middle class America) have so much money that they should pay for people like this. It really is a fundamental difference in morals and life outlook.

I'm a bleeding-heart modern progressive AND I'm rich.

Wrap you head around that one.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Feeling ashamed for being yourself is pretty much a core part of liberalism. They even came up with a special way to refer to it: "privilege".

Not to mention bleeding-hearts pretty much by definition refers to "rich" progressives.

Sep 7, 2009
Which of course was the point I was making in the OP. To me it seems logical that if you want to highlight the plight of the poor to push a pro social welfare agenda you would want to pick poor people who were sympathetic. But yet we see time and time again articles on the plight of the poor which make you got WTF is wrong with these people.

Seems like the answer to why is that liberals really think that people should have zero responsibility for their lives and society should do whatever is necessary to minimize the consequences to them.

Part of this is because in our country, you have to make some long-term mistakes to be truly poor.

Pretty much anyone who puts their mind into and actually works for 5-10 years can make enough money to support their family. But, it is easier to hop on the welfare train and blame society for their pitfalls.

Sep 7, 2009

That's pretty much impossible. Shouldn't you be adopting a couple of immigrant families and paying directly for their healthcare? How can you do that and still be wealthy?

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Feeling ashamed for being yourself is pretty much a core part of liberalism. They even came up with a special way to refer to it: "privilege".

Not to mention bleeding-hearts pretty much by definition refers to "rich" progressives.

I'm not ashamed of myself. I'm just one of those bible-thumping Christians that you read about in the news. You know, the ones that take the Beatitudes to heart and believe that salvation is through love, kindness and helping others instead of hatred, fear and indifference.

Considering my life so far, being wealthy, well-educated and Christian, I can see no other socially compatible world view than being a progressive. After all, it's what Jesus would do.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not ashamed of myself. I'm just one of those bible-thumping Christians that you read about in the news. You know, the ones that take the Beatitudes to heart and believe that salvation is through love, kindness and helping others instead of hatred, fear and indifference.

Considering my life so far, being wealthy, well-educated and Christian, I can see no other socially compatible world view than being a progressive. After all, it's what Jesus would do.

You forgot not being rich:
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
http://biblehub.com/matthew/19-24.htm

:sneaky:

Personally, if I was you, I would pick a faith that didn't condemn myself to an eternity in hell.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You believe I intend to die rich? You know so little about so many many things. I feel very sorry for you.

Oh, so you subscribe to the whole "death bed conversion" idea.

Exactly how long are you allowed to be rich before you burn in hell for all eternity? :confused:

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
You can say whatever you want on an internet forum. But it doesn't make it true.

I doubt you're "rich."

Very correct. I could be lying. Just as it is possible that Nebor made up his deployment in Afghanistan or that Nehalem is actually a human being.

I guess you'll never know. Please don't lose sleep over it.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Wow, you aren't a Christian are you.

Here: start reading. I don't have time to waste on your witlessness.

I quoted directly from the bible. A rich man can't get into heaven per the bible; this would seem especially true if you believe salvation is through deeds, which is exactly what claimed. And it would seem to be a pretty screwed up God that would leave loophole where you could wallow in your wealth for decades and then give it all away 10 minutes before you died to technically get into heaven. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Very correct. I could be lying. Just as it is possible that Nebor made up his deployment in Afghanistan or that Nehalem is actually a human being.

You wouldn't be the first person to confuse me for a god. But I am still flattered :awe:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I notice all libs on the internet are "rich."

Conservatives don't usually talk about money personally. It's crass.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You believe I intend to die rich? You know so little about so many many things. I feel very sorry for you.

How about Matthew 6:1-2 then?

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full."

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
I notice all libs on the internet are "rich."

Conservatives don't usually talk about money personally. It's crass.

I notice the opposite. I see conservatives posters on this board bragging about their high-paying IT management (lol) and developer positions all the time, as if it's some kind of huge success story.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There are lots of things insurance will not pay for. A hospital will say you owe them $6,000 for a 2 day stay, and probably it is only really worth $1200 or something like that. They just commit fraud and say things cost more than they do. If you are a hospital you can get away with anything.

Try paying that with your $6k deductible ACA insurance.

Sep 7, 2009
There are lots of things insurance will not pay for. A hospital will say you owe them $6,000 for a 2 day stay, and probably it is only really worth $1200 or something like that. They just commit fraud and say things cost more than they do. If you are a hospital you can get away with anything.

Try paying that with your $6k deductible ACA insurance.

And you can primarily blame walk in ER lowlifes for this. The amount of people who get "free" ER care is astronomical, and hospitals feel like they have to make up by overcharging everyone else. Add on top of this that the insurance companies nickel and dime them...

I personally blame insurance companies and these handout takers more than the hospital themselves.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
You can say whatever you want on an internet forum. But it doesn't make it true.

I doubt you're "rich."

I tend to believe him. He's a better writer than most of the posters on this forum, which leads to believe he probably really does have a PhD in statistics.

I do agree with other posters in that it's rare to hear conservative posters describe themselves as rich. I tend to think of it as marking yourself for some sort of retaliation. That's why in polite conversation you say, "I do alright," or "I'm comfortable."

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I suspect if he makes enough money to afford a 28K Harley, he won't be getting too big of a subsidy, if any.
Plus if he has a wreck on his bike we won't be on the hook for his ER bills.
If memory serves (and it may not) he still lives with his parents, so I'm not sure his income has to be all that high to afford a Harley. But you may be right; payments must be at least $500 a month, and even without rent and utilities that kind of income probably knocks a single man out of subsidy range.

You wouldn't be the first person to confuse me for a god. But I am still flattered :awe:
:D +1