Family has money for international travel, but not healthcare

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Some people don't take bullying well. It's sort of like holding your breath to get your way: You know you're going to have to breath eventually, but you might hit the floor before you give in and do it.

FWIW Texas seems to have billions to squander, so it's all good. The people that are going to shoulder that burden will be the poor, not the businesses (look at how tax burdens are distributed in Texas) and they're the ones out healthcare too, so... fuck 'em, I guess? :confused:

Ummm. Yeah and this is why the Business Community is telling the Texas GOP to quit being fucking retarded and expand medicaid so the Business community doesn't get hit with ~$500million in fines per year.

The Texas GOP will eventually cave and expand Medicaid. They have no choice in the matter unless they want to piss off major donors.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
If you are not adding to our US society you should not be allowed to immigrate.

We have enough people who were born here that we all have to support. The system is bursting at its seams. It's not about xenophobic, it's about the reality of the fact that we can't afford to support any more handout abusers.

The good ole GOP way of immigration, where only those who can take professional jobs from Americans at less pay, are allowed to come.

Support the Corporate Agenda. Fuck family Reunification...

And obviously you have no idea how immigration works. You have to prove you have the financial means when immigrating. She like alot of people, have suffered during the two economic downturns over the last 13 years. Not to mention losing half of her household income when her husband was deported. If you look she is working. She also had insurance until shit hit the fan in 2007/2008.

So what you as saying is basically if you work and don't make more than poverty level wages because of decades of wages suppression you should just fuck off and die?

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
?? And which race do you associate people who do this with?

It seems to happens across all races, as far as I can tell.

But..... of course..... you associate negative things with a certain race, then turn around and start shrieking racism. Ironic, isn't it?

You really need to work on why you continually have a need to associate specific races with certain stereotypes.

Do you think anyone actually buys your "WHO, ME?" Shtick?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Umm. No. You are opposing legal immigration when you say she should just go back to El Salvador.

She is most definitely an LPR. Her husbands 10 year bar is likely to expire soon, if it hasn't already. Meaning he can legally come back to the US fairly easy since his wife is a LPR. But you want her to go back instead where she will lose her LPR status and likely never able to get it again(until her US citizen children are over 21).

Hell, if she had applied for Citizenship her husband could have LEGALLY come back a lot sooner than 10 years.

But no, you oppose all legal means available to her and her family and want her to go back.

That is completely xenophobic.

It is not the responsibility of the US to cater to law breakers.

Sep 7, 2009
The good ole GOP way of immigration, where only those who can take professional jobs from Americans at less pay, are allowed to come.

And obviously you have no idea how immigration works. You have to prove you have the financial means when immigrating. She like alot of people, have suffered during the two economic downturns over the last 13 years. Not to mention losing half of her household income when her husband was deported. If you look she is working. She also had insurance until shit hit the fan in 2007/2008.

So what you as saying is basically if you work and don't make more than poverty level wages because of decades of wages suppression you should just fuck off and die?

That all sounds like not my problem. Plus, according to you and your ilk we have the worst healthcare system in the world. So, why doesn't her family stay where they are rather than move here when they can't afford to do so without handouts?

Sep 7, 2009
Do you think anyone actually buys your "WHO, ME?" Shtick?

Break it down for me, rather than simply spinning in circles shrieking 'racist'.

Tell me, what race do you perceive as purchasing cars they can't afford?

What race do you perceive as buying houses they can't afford?

As usual, instead of dealing with the actual problems you and your race baiting buddies would rather turn every little issue into something about skin colors.

We have a people problem, not a race problem. So much energy is wasted trying to determine which race does this and that, it's really pretty shameful how you perpetuate throwing out that race card.

It's not 1960 anymore, buddy. Take off the racial blinders that only allow you to see in black and white.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
She would be eligible for Medicaid if she brought her kids here and went on welfare. It would cost Texas taxpayers more, but that's their problem. Like the resident Republicans here are saying, she should make good financial choices for herself.

No she wouldn't. Again read the fucking article. It talks about this issue, she's not eligible for Medicaid because Texas didn't expand medicaid to 133% FPL. She makes to much to be on Texas Medicaid, but not enough to get tax credits under Obamacare. The article mostly talks about this gap that many people are falling into in the states that did not expand medicaid.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

I thought corporations were down with importing as much cheap 3rd World Labor as possible. Seems to me like you are the one supporting the "Corporate Agenda". Fuck working Americans.

Actually I think what is being said is if you marry and have 7 children with an illegal immigrant don't come crying to me about how you are poor after he gets deported.

Sep 7, 2009
Again you just want her out even though she is here legally and can LEGALLY bring the rest of her family back.

We want her out because we already can't support the lazy handout abusers we have in our system.

You want to make it personal... It isn't.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Again you just want her out even though she is here legally and can LEGALLY bring the rest of her family back.

Maybe yes. Maybe no. I believe you typically have to prove when petitioning to bring people to the US that they won't be a burden on taxpayer. Want to make a bet on whether she can do that?:cool:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Maybe yes. Maybe no. I believe you typically have to prove when petitioning to bring people to the US that they won't be a burden on taxpayer. Want to make a bet on whether she can do that?:cool:

You think you know what you are talking about but you don't. Unless he has been convicted of certain felonies or other crimes, there is almost always going to be a waiver available. Its only a matter of time before her husband and rest of her family will be back in the US legally. Probably would have happened a lot sooner if she could have afforded an immigration attorney.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You think you know what you are talking about but you don't. Unless he has been convicted of certain felonies or other crimes, there is almost always going to be a waiver available. Its only a matter of time before her husband and rest of her family will be back in the US legally. Probably would have happened a lot sooner if she could have afforded an immigration attorney.

Cool. So you agree that the family is unable to support themselves. So how is it xenophobic to no want to bring more of the family here?

EDIT: And why should the woman get a waiver because she is suffering due to her own poor life choices?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2009
We're debating with bleeding-heart modern progressives.

In their eyes, the "evil rich people" (including middle class America) have so much money that they should pay for people like this. It really is a fundamental difference in morals and life outlook.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
We're debating with bleeding-heart modern progressives.

In their eyes, the "evil rich people" (including middle class America) have so much money that they should pay for people like this. It really is a fundamental difference in morals and life outlook.

Which of course was the point I was making in the OP. To me it seems logical that if you want to highlight the plight of the poor to push a pro social welfare agenda you would want to pick poor people who were sympathetic. But yet we see time and time again articles on the plight of the poor which make you got WTF is wrong with these people.

Seems like the answer to why is that liberals really think that people should have zero responsibility for their lives and society should do whatever is necessary to minimize the consequences to them.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Ummm. Yeah and this is why the Business Community is telling the Texas GOP to quit being fucking retarded and expand medicaid so the Business community doesn't get hit with ~$500million in fines per year.

The Texas GOP will eventually cave and expand Medicaid. They have no choice in the matter unless they want to piss off major donors.

I'm not seeing any cracks in the GOP leadership at this point. If\when they do expand Medicaid, I'm betting it's 4+ years down the road.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Perhaps, then, providing medical care should not be solely a private venture?

I'd go so far as to say that it should be a solely public venture, on a par with national defense and public education. But that's just me.

Providing medical care is not solely a private venture. That's the idea behind county hospitals. I can't really get on board with a fully public system, as that severely disrupts the incentives that bring good people into medicine. A public\private system wherein the best care is available for those able to afford it, and those unable to command high prices provide public care do so is more appealing to me.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
No she wouldn't. Again read the fucking article. It talks about this issue, she's not eligible for Medicaid because Texas didn't expand medicaid to 133% FPL. She makes to much to be on Texas Medicaid, but not enough to get tax credits under Obamacare. The article mostly talks about this gap that many people are falling into in the states that did not expand medicaid.

She makes too much for a family of 1. If she brings her 4 kids over, she'll have a family of 5, and their FPL will rise.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
LOL True.

Good point, though I suspect he'll get subsidized so our children will be paying back Uncle Mao for his health insurance.

I suspect if he makes enough money to afford a 28K Harley, he won't be getting too big of a subsidy, if any.
Plus if he has a wreck on his bike we won't be on the hook for his ER bills.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Break it down for me, rather than simply spinning in circles shrieking 'racist'.

Tell me, what race do you perceive as purchasing cars they can't afford?

What race do you perceive as buying houses they can't afford?

As usual, instead of dealing with the actual problems you and your race baiting buddies would rather turn every little issue into something about skin colors.

We have a people problem, not a race problem. So much energy is wasted trying to determine which race does this and that, it's really pretty shameful how you perpetuate throwing out that race card.

It's not 1960 anymore, buddy. Take off the racial blinders that only allow you to see in black and white.

Here's what we know about the woman we're all talking about:

- She's very poor
- She works hard physical labor
- Her husband was deported years ago, meaning she probably wasn't an American citizen at the time and probably not since, and since he's in El Salvador there's a good chance she's El Salvadoran herself
- She wasn't herself deported, meaning she's probably legally allowed to be here

Here's what we do NOT know from the article:
- She has a bad loan on an expensive car
- She has a long term mortgage on a house she can't afford

But you accuse her of that anyway. That has to come from some kind of stereotyping. From what little we know about her, eskimospy figures the stereotyping is because she's hispanic. Based on your other comments I figure the stereotyping is because she's poor. It's also possible it's because she's an immigrant. Either way, it's not really warranted.