Family gets beat down for being in wrong hood

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Step foot into 3rd world America.

Just got back from fishing trip with buddies. Pulled over to get gas and piss in bad part of Nashville. Stare them down right back and show no weakness.

Fucking 3rd world Africa in most metro cities. Make sure you can handle the wildlife.

And that one will cost you. See you in a while.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Aren't you anti gun? What exactly do you think you could've done against some random thug who likely has a couple of buddies around the corner?

Me anti-gun? Not at all. I support gun rights, concealed carry. Oppose assault weapons and high capacity mag bans. The only thing I support is the background checks.

I just don't carry one and don't see the need. I don't go to places with a high likelihood of attacks. I live in the burbs. We've had 1 murder in the entire 43 year history since my town was incorporated. For home protection, I've had a baseball bat under my bed for 20 years. I've never had to use it. I did grab it one time in the middle of the night but it was squirrel at the back porch.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
I would attribute it to race somewhat... but my guess it was in a lower socio economically challenged neighborhood. Plenty of places down south here were a large percentage of the population is black. Driven through, stopped, never had an issue.

This likely would have occurred had the guy been black wearing a pink tee shirt as well.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

My point was very simple, just because you can go somewhere doesn't make it smart regardless of how well prepared you are. I don't want to use my gun but I damn sure will if I have to. If I think going to another gas station might prevent me from being put into a situation in which I might be required to use my gun I am going to go to a different gas station. That is simply the intelligent thing to do.

Sep 7, 2009
My point was very simple, just because you can go somewhere doesn't make it smart regardless of how well prepared you are. I don't want to use my gun but I damn sure will if I have to. If I think going to another gas station might prevent me from being put into a situation in which I might be required to use my gun I am going to go to a different gas station. That is simply the intelligent thing to do.

What exactly would be enough to make you go to another gas station?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
This likely would have occurred had the guy been black wearing a pink tee shirt as well.

Well, if it was another black guy wearing a Pink Tee..yea

Last Saturday, a 64 yr old black man was attacked at a Gas station. He was stabbed multiple times and beaten. What happened was that he came into the Gas station, got what he came for and as he was leaving he was confronted by another black male outside for no reason. The man was going to his car and guy was following him. So, he ran back into the Gas station asking the attendant to call the police because there was a guy trying to rob him.

The guy comes into the Gas station and starts stabbing the guy and nobody did a thing. On the security tape you can clearly hear one of the patrons in the shop ask could he just get his change.....nobody did anything.

They caught the guy and the man who was stabbed is recovering. There was absolutely no reason for the attack

So, many of you need to stop acting like this kind of shit doesn't happen to people who don't have white faces.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
What exactly would be enough to make you go to another gas station?

Couldn't tell you exactly, mostly gut feeling I guess but lots of other variables (time and place for example) as well. I am pretty good at recognizing a "bad scene" and do my best to avoid them even though I am prepared to handle them. As I said, the last thing I want to do is use my gun on a human being, I absolutely will if forced but I hope like hell I am never put in that situation.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Moral of the story keep your mouth shut or buy a better GPS. Hopefully they are okay, but I have been in a group not once but twice, where we were jumped the same way this family was. We were black and they were black, but in this particular case, this appears to be motivated by race and they should have race charges in addition to the regular charges. They all should go to jail for a very long time.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
It can not be a hate crime. Period. End of story. Even if they called him cracker while they gutted him it is not a hate crime. Racism yes but not a hate crime.

Yes it can. Bias and motivation are the two determining factors. You only need on or the other.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
Completely disagree.

You are free to do that, but having grown up in the Ghetto and having to suffer it when visiting my family, I can tell you it had much more to do with socioeconomics and the guy "stepping" up, than it had to do with him being white.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
You are free to do that, but having grown up in the Ghetto and having to suffer it when visiting my family, I can tell you it had much more to do with socioeconomics and the guy "stepping" up, than it had to do with him being white.

Thank you.

If the white family was a black family, the same thing would have happened. The same thing.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Rule #1 of Obama's America:

If White people are attacked; if there is any way at all of justifying it as NOT being a hate crime it can and will be done..This white man wore a pink shirt in a black ghetto, he was attacked simply for wearing a pink shirt!!

If a black person is attacked its automatically racism, even if the perp is not white but is half white [zimmerman]. All the other details dont matter.

Gotta love them double standards.

Yeah, you're right - this is totally Obama's fault!

Not every stupid thing that happens in the country is the fault of the sitting president you know.

Sep 7, 2009
Wow..... And the racism continues.....

So a white guy who shoots a black guy who was peering into garages and then brutally attacks him is a raging white racist.....

But a white guy who is viciously attacked for "being in the wrong neighborhood" (that is what the thug told him....) and "stepping up" (IE not walking away with his head down...) then it's the white guys fault?

You all are about the most blatant racists I've seen in awhile. Perfect example of why we have racial tension.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
So interesting that the stories from our black posters being in similar predicaments are ignored by you. This situation is something that many blacks in these types of areas go through everyday. People preying on other people, that's all this is.

It doesn't have to always be around race. Being told you are in "the wrong hood" has zero implications of racism.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2009
So interesting that the stories from our black posters being in similar predicaments are ignored by you. This situation is something that many blacks in these types of areas go through everyday. People preying on other people, that's all this is.

It doesn't have to always be around race. Being told you are in "the wrong hood" has zero implications of racism.

Let me sum it up for you:

White guy defends himself against black attacker = always racist.

Black guy defends himself against white attacker = never racist, always justified.

We should look at it as:

Guy defends himself against attacker = :thumbsup:

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
So lets assume for a moement that it wasn't race driven . . . i don't agree that it's 0% based on race . . but lets assume that it wasn't.

What is the community, the black community, doing about this violence? Why are they resorting to laying a beat down to solve a (in my eyes) non-existant problem. was it "he disrespected me?" or what? Why do we allow (as a society) such thuggery to exist? This isn't only blacks, just in this particular case it is. . .

socioeconomically disadvantaged or not, this is unacceptable behavior. When i was little my mom was on food stamps, and worked two jobs. my brother and I weren't troublemakers and we learned to respect people. never had run ins with the law, was taught to hold the door for people etc . . . basic common courtesy. . . why has it been lost on this population?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Let me sum it up for you:

White guy defends himself against black attacker = always racist.

Black guy defends himself against white attacker = never racist, always justified.

We should look at it as:

Guy defends himself against attacker = :thumbsup:

who said that?

oh, you said that.

got it.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Moral of the story keep your mouth shut or buy a better GPS. Hopefully they are okay, but I have been in a group not once but twice, where we were jumped the same way this family was. We were black and they were black, but in this particular case, this appears to be motivated by race and they should have race charges in addition to the regular charges. They all should go to jail for a very long time.

moral of the story is to just either ignore the issue or back down? and the degradation of America continues . . . .

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Right, well, we know what happens when the victim doesn't have a gun - him and his wife are knocked unconscious, at the very least. Luckily they didn't make off with the daughter. As bad as this situation was, it could have been a LOT worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Channon_Christian_and_Christopher_Newsom

I refuse to back down to thuggish behaviour. Honestly, this is exactly why I live in a state where we aren't restricted to 7 rounds and we strongly support the right to self defense. Be it 1 thug or 10 thugs, let's get it on as I am completely ready.

I fully agree with you regarding planning, but in my opinion you're going a bit far with blaming the victim. Sometimes you need gas, someone has to go to the bathroom, and you shouldn't have to cower to people who try and intimidate others who think you're "in the wrong neighbohood"

And, as a law abiding American, I will not cower to some low life thug. If they threaten my life I will defend it justly. And that "blame" can be placed on the thug who threatened my life, as the recent cases have shown, not the victim.

Just because thugs tend to resort to violence does not mean we should all cower in the basement, clutching the phone with 911 on speed dial.

As an American you have a right to defend yourself, and if that means carrying a gun to legally level the playing field against these tyrants thugs then so be it.

Are you seriously telling people here you chose to live in the state you do based on the part in bold above?

If thats the case and those laws change will you move out of state?

It interesting to get a view into your thinking and thought processes here.

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
It's not a hate crime because it's black on white.. That's just the way it is. You can try to make any lame excuse you want but if the roles were reversed it would be a hate crime.

With that said I think this whole hate crime crap is stupid. Do you think this black guy liked the white dude? Doesn't sound like it to me. Why you did (with exceptions) should not play a part, you did it. You shouldn't get more time because you beat the crap out of somebody because of their race then you would because they spilled something on your shirt.