fallout 3 vs. oblivion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I found them to be two very different games. I really like Fallout 3, but it hasn't drawn me in nearly as much as Oblivion did.

Fallout has better character graphics, and the lighting effects have been fixed from Oblivion; but Oblivion still looked nicer because of the beautiful lanscape, versus a dreary apocalyptic landscape in Oblivion.

The world in Oblivion is far more open than Fallout as well. Especially in the city.

That said, Fallout is a very fun game as well, and I still play it every day. I just played over 1000 hours of Oblivion, and I am not nearly as addicted to Fallout.

I hope that they take the skill leveling from Oblivion (you get better at things by actually doing them), and remove the ability leveling portion in the next Elder Scrolls game. That was the counter intuitive part of their leveling system. If your abilities would level automatically based on skill leveling, (say one point for every 3 skill points that relies on that ability) then it would take all the power leveling micromanagement out of the game. I would also just take out character levels entirely.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Martimus
I just played over 1000 hours of Oblivion, and I am not nearly as addicted to Fallout.

:shocked:

Holy shiznit! And I thought I spent a lot of time gaming. My GF would kill me (or leave me, either way) for that!

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Denithor
I just played over 1000 hours of Oblivion, and I am not nearly as addicted to Fallout.

Holy shiznit! And I thought I spent a lot of time gaming. My GF would kill me (or leave me, either way) for that!

I think I was wrong when I wrote that. (I wasn't thinking quite right.) I formatted my drive since then and lost my saved games so I can't check; but I think it was around 350-400 hours when I stopped playing. I know that I passed 200 hours before I even started the main quest, and kept playing for another few months after that to complete all the main quests for the game and the expansions. I was about to go back and finish a few of the quests that I left open (I wanted to do the Assassins Guild quests), when I found out that I didn't have any of the saves left. I was pretty bummed out about that, and didn't want to play again after all the work I did was thrown out (I have 4 drives, and I probably didn't realize that my saves were on my OS drive).

I probably played so much because I didn't have a GF during that time, and I hadn't played a new video game for a few years before I bought Oblivion. (Had 3 kids and a GF to take care of and didn't have time to do anything for myself until she left.) Now that I have my daughter back, I don't have as much time to play anyway; but I do play an hour or so a day.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
To all the people going negative on the drab dreary environment, what do you expect from a game whos setting is post apocalyptic? Just about every person in the game is fighting to survive (pretty much forget living and being happy). I mean if you prefer the life and colors of oblivion thats fine but saying that oblivion is better becasue its less depressing is silly.

I guess I just found that its the little things that made a big difference. For instance trudging up a rubble covered hill and there in the distance is a broken building with people patroling the upper levels. I pull out my sniper rifle and prepare to take out some raider scum when I notice that they arnt wearing the typical raider garb. I put my gun away and head closer. Thats when I notice the string of xmas lights illuminating the up stairs windows. The lights which are pretty much synonymous with a happy\joyfull time being used as a beacon for runaway slaves. And as mobid as it may be, stumbleing across 2 skeletons on the hood of a car overlooking a scene view was powerful as well.

And if you cant seem to get your self to notice\care about the little things go hang out with the Treeminders they got all kinds of greenery up there.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Originally posted by: TheKub
To all the people going negative on the drab dreary environment, what do you expect from a game whos setting is post apocalyptic? Just about every person in the game is fighting to survive (pretty much forget living and being happy). I mean if you prefer the life and colors of oblivion thats fine but saying that oblivion is better becasue its less depressing is silly.

I guess I just found that its the little things that made a big difference. For instance trudging up a rubble covered hill and there in the distance is a broken building with people patroling the upper levels. I pull out my sniper rifle and prepare to take out some raider scum when I notice that they arnt wearing the typical raider garb. I put my gun away and head closer. Thats when I notice the string of xmas lights illuminating the up stairs windows. The lights which are pretty much synonymous with a happy\joyfull time being used as a beacon for runaway slaves. And as mobid as it may be, stumbleing across 2 skeletons on the hood of a car overlooking a scene view was powerful as well.

And if you cant seem to get your self to notice\care about the little things go hang out with the Treeminders they got all kinds of greenery up there.

I don't think those people exactly meant to say that it was strictly the setting. Many people who liked Oblivion like Morrowind which was pretty bleak itself. It was probably more bleak than Fallout 3 actually it was like Fallout 3 with red sand blowing in your face all the time.

I think the setting in Fallout 3 is fine but at the same time I think it is poorly presented. My friend pointed out similar things about the game that you did, but I never saw these things. I never saw them because for me there was no motivation to go out and explore the world. There weren't that many side quests and in Oblivion that was where the motivation to explore the world came from.

If oblivion didn't have like 5 main side quest lines and all the quirky sidequests found just from wandering in the forest there would be no reason to explore the world there either.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Oblivion is essentially Morrowwind with a new engine.
Fallout 3 is the same engine as Oblivion, but it's a very different game.

It wasn't perfect, but it met and exceeded my expectations. I'd say it was the best game of 2008, with CoD World at War and Left 4 Dead not too far behind.... (at least of the games I've played.)

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Oblivion has a fairly long main storyline that is repetitive and gets pretty boring after awhile, although the numerous side quest lines and just generally walking around looking for things to do can be pretty rewarding.

Fallout 3 has a short, fairly mediocre main storyline that really short, but again, the numerous side quests and locations to discover more than make up for the failing of the main story.

I think in the end, the amount of enjoyment you get out of either title is entirely dependent on what kind of game you like better, a colorful medieval romp with swords and magic or a bleak post-apocalyptic world with shotgun, nukes, and D.C. landmarks.

Personally, I played Oblivion for around 40 hours, beat it, and moved on. I've been playing Fallout 3 for going on 50 hours, have beaten it, then went back, reloaded from a previous save, and have spent countless hours walking to the 4 edges of the map and everywhere in between, finding tons of quests and landmarks that offer hours and hours of exploration. It's epic, as Oblivion is, but, in my mind, more so.

Obviously, Fallout 3 is my favorite of the two, but again, it's going to come down to what setting you prefer more than anything.

darkdiablo

Jan 2, 2009
Originally posted by: Denithor

I think I was wrong when I wrote that. (I wasn't thinking quite right.) I formatted my drive since then and lost my saved games so I can't check; but I think it was around 350-400 hours when I stopped playing. I know that I passed 200 hours before I even started the main quest, and kept playing for another few months after that to complete all the main quests for the game and the expansions. I was about to go back and finish a few of the quests that I left open (I wanted to do the Assassins Guild quests), when I found out that I didn't have any of the saves left. I was pretty bummed out about that, and didn't want to play again after all the work I did was thrown out (I have 4 drives, and I probably didn't realize that my saves were on my OS drive).

I probably played so much because I didn't have a GF during that time, and I hadn't played a new video game for a few years before I bought Oblivion. (Had 3 kids and a GF to take care of and didn't have time to do anything for myself until she left.) Now that I have my daughter back, I don't have as much time to play anyway; but I do play an hour or so a day.

Oh wow, first person that I've heard about playing almost every quest in oblivion. I bought the game a few month back, and I thought it was boring at first, cause there wasnt many enemies out there among all the greenery. But then I started to concentrate on the quests, and actually using my skills, thats when the game got a bit interesting. Although the combat in oblivion gets dull fast.

darkdiablo

Jan 2, 2009
Ok, so i restarted playing oblivion. If I chose to be a redguard, and become a warrior using specially blade weapons, how do I make this character more interesting, since I probably wont be casting any spell and will just be slashing at my enemies.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: mundane
I think Bethesda took a lot of lessons learned from player feedback in Oblivion and applied them to Fallout 3.

I think they also took those lessons and put them towards the Shivering Isles expansion. I think the dungeons in Oblivion were very well done though, however I do agree that the overworld was pretty boring.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Golgatha
I think the dungeons in Oblivion were very well done though, however I do agree that the overworld was pretty boring.

The dungeons in Oblivion were horrible.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: darkdiablo
Oh wow, first person that I've heard about playing almost every quest in oblivion. I bought the game a few month back, and I thought it was boring at first, cause there wasnt many enemies out there among all the greenery. But then I started to concentrate on the quests, and actually using my skills, thats when the game got a bit interesting. Although the combat in oblivion gets dull fast.

My first impression of Oblivion was that it was boring as well. I grew to love it because it didn't have the super repetive side quests that all other RPG's seem to have. Each one was unique and interesting. But the game did get a little repetive at the end because there aren't many different types of enemies, and there are too few skins for the dungeons.

I actually only bought it because I wanted to test out my new video card and X2 processor, and it wasn't on the Christmas list I gave to my family. I ended up playing it more than all the games I asked for combined. I even would come home at lunch to play the game, I was so addicted.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
How long do you guys think it will take to beat the whole game? Talking about Fallout 3.

I beat it in about 15 hours.

I'm playing back through again now trying to hit everything. I'm at level 20 (max) and picked up the explorer perk to mark everything. I'm roughly guessing 80+ hours to touch everything in the game. Mind you that's just with a single character "class". There is probably more to it if I did say a Charisma/speech class or melee or something.

For the OP:
They are different genre's obviously so one may appeal to you more than another. I think overall that Fallout is the better game though. They learned a lot gameplay wise from making Oblivion. I think Oblivion is much "prettier" to look at for a long period though.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Ok, so i restarted playing oblivion. If I chose to be a redguard, and become a warrior using specially blade weapons, how do I make this character more interesting, since I probably wont be casting any spell and will just be slashing at my enemies.

I really found sneaking and bows to be fun in Oblivion. They have a great stealth element in the game. This is something that Karma screwed up in Fallout (how the hell do they penalize someone who didn't get caught!)

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Smilin

I really found sneaking and bows to be fun in Oblivion. They have a great stealth element in the game. This is something that Karma screwed up in Fallout (how the hell do they penalize someone who didn't get caught!)

It's Karma, not a criminal record. If you do something naughty, you get bad karma.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
This is something that Karma screwed up in Fallout (how the hell do they penalize someone who didn't get caught!)

Its karma dude, its supernatural. Just because no one was around when you stole something doesn't mean the universe wasn't watchin'. Thats like saying that murdering someone shouldn't be a sin if someone didn't see you do it.

Besides snaging the odd weapon or skill book is easily eclipsed by doing other good deeds in the world. Heck give away a dozen purified waters and your on your way to godliness.

I think it is a great addition, in oblivion I ganked anything that could easily got my hands on and there wasn't a thought about it. Now, even though its a trivial hit, I take a moment to think is it worth it? Maybe, the old wastelander in his hovel\shack needs this extra clip of 5.56mm ammo to defend himself from raiders. The only thing that I will steal regardless is skill books, only because just because you read a book doesn't mean the book no longer exists. I guess thats where Oblivion had a small lead you could read a skill book and leave it\return it to the owner when you got what you wanted out of it.

I love stealth\ranged classes but in Oblivion it was just broken. Maxed sneak in oblivion was tantamount to invisibility. Also, at high levels if you didnt have an uber enchanted bow or strong poison it takes 5-10+ arrows to bring down a reasonably strong enemy. So at some point there you are shooting arrow #8 into a creature (who has 7 others sticking out of him) and he still hasn't quite figured out where the hell you are even though you are in broad daylight.

In F3 if you have maxed sneak and you are remotely close to an enemy in the light he is going to see you. Sneak will help you get up to an enemy that is looking away or get away faster by ducking under some cover after your first (hopefully successful) head shot. Though I will say its not exactly perfect. There was a few WTF moments like a line of three talon company mercs patrolling near a sub way. I headshot the front guy who is carrying an assault rifle and he gibs into 5 pieces. I duck behind a car (which you really have to be careful about in F3), then head shot the next guy in line that just so happens to be kicking the bits of his recently departed friend out of the way, then repeat it for the 3rd guy who is tripping over the last 2 guys and HE is none the wiser either. There was also the time there were 2 super mutants having a conversation about getting a fatman, I gib the closest one and the other one just kept talking like nothing was wrong. Granted these were at considerable range and maybe there is some AI range slider that I never fiddled with.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Smilin

A bad guy is a bad guy whether he gets caught or not.

Stealth in Fallout is great. Nothing's funner than putting a grenade down an enemies pants.

darkdiablo

Jan 2, 2009
Hey, in Oblivion, if you want to get good items, as in say, a bow that adds posion damage, the only way to get any is to level up right? Because right now i'm on level 1 and all I get is shitty stuff like rusty iron sword, or iron bow.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Hey, in Oblivion, if you want to get good items, as in say, a bow that adds posion damage, the only way to get any is to level up right? Because right now i'm on level 1 and all I get is shitty stuff like rusty iron sword, or iron bow.

There are other ways, but weapons generally level with you. I haven't played in a while, but you can look up how to find better weapons in one of the many Oblivion Wiki's floating around the net.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: TheKub
This is something that Karma screwed up in Fallout (how the hell do they penalize someone who didn't get caught!)

Its karma dude, its supernatural. Just because no one was around when you stole something doesn't mean the universe wasn't watchin'. Thats like saying that murdering someone shouldn't be a sin if someone didn't see you do it.

Sure, I don't mind that part. The part that bothers me is that the NPCs behavior magically changes as if they are all tapped into the Karma of the universe like the Dali fvckin Lama.

If I go stealing somewhere and never get caught yet do good deeds in public I should be treated positively.

It's a stupid game mechanic.