Fallout 3 problem solved for me :)

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I am really amazed how great fallout 3 is. I can't seem to be able to stop playing it.

But after about 2 hours into the game I've found out there were issues with horrible slow down.

my sys consists of 3ghz c2d, 4gb ram , win xp , 8800gs.

running at everything close to max except shadows on med the game ran 45+fps all the time on 1680x1050.

However, it started to slow down to 10fps in certain areas for no good reason.

After trying different tweaks and patchs I've finally solved it and it has been running strong ever since.

For me the video coded was the issue. I had two installed.
official divx codec and a vo6 codec (?) removed both of them, restrated and now its all good.

damn I love this game! (except it seems to be too easy)

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
yes it is too easy. the first thing i did was set the game to Hard and it still wasn't that hard.
but i do agree its a great game and i dont understand why people are so annoyed with it.
i'm an RGP veteran, although i admit i havent played the original FO or FO2 (i will get them soon from a friend), and i really enjoyed the game, the atmosphere and the VATS system makes it just more than a simple FPS.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
I had / have a similar slowdown issue with F3. Mine seems to be related to changing zones. Sometimes after a couple times of loading different areas, there is a severe framerate slowdown. I fix it by saving, exiting the game and reloading. It hasnt been a big deal for me. But i did see that people had many problems with codec issues on the bethsoft forum.

Why would the installed codecs cause slowdowns in the gameplay? I was under the impression that the codecs would only affect movies like the intro movie? I admit i may be completely wrong here...

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I am not sure, but Ive found out although this has fixed the issues with fallout, the windows environment is acting strange afterwards. There definitely seems to be a memory leak. After I exit out of the game, when I launch other applications, it will goto a blank screen for about 30 seconds before it launches and same when I close it.

Hopefully next patch will fix the issues.