Fallout 3 GOTY: Help me not suck!

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
OK so I am an avid gamer, but FPS, action games, and racing games are normally my Forte, so Fallout 3 is *apparently* a bit out of my league. I found myself getting slaughtered pretty regularly by raiders in low level areas. So I did a bit of research on optimal character builds in hopes that would help me survive a bit better. So I started a new character based on the following build:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum...Character_Build:_DarkEternal.27s_Death_Dealer

Basically this character starts with high intelligence which allows more skill points to be distributed during each level up. I have been putting most of my points into skills which I use ofter such as small guns, repair, and medical.

I have made it to megaton, and finished the wasteland survival guide missions (all three chapters) without too much trouble. I have a handful of weapons (hunting rifle, assault rifle, 10mm pistol, etc), but not a ton of ammo for any (hunting rifle seems to be the most plentiful). I am now a level 4 character and I'm ready to embark on my next quest.

From what I have read it's not necessary to do the quests, or DLC in any particular order so I started with the point lookout DLC. I made it up to the mansion and I'm helping the old dude clear the tribal's out of the place. I did alright in the beginning, now I am to the part where we are clearing out the east side of the house and BAM, now I am getting swarmed by Tribal's and getting my ass absolutely handed to me.

I am not looking on advice on this particular part. What I want to know is am I doing something wrong with my character build process? Is there a special order in which quests, side quests and DLC's should be completed so that my character's level is appropriate for the quests I'm trying to complete?

I'm growing tired of constantly reloading my save game after dying in a random raider encounter, or getting torn to shreds in what's supposed to be a "simple" mission. I can only assume that it's my lack of RPG experience which makes me so terrible at this game, since so many others seem to finish the game with ease.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
It`s really easy to level up. The game really wasn't that hard since you max out quickly. Just keep trying to do missions and killing as many things that get in your way.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Yeah, you probably want to level up a bit before hitting Point Lookout. I say enjoy the game while it's tough because it gets pretty easy once you level up. I think I enjoyed the game the most between levels 6-10. The game is really tough at the low levels, challenging through 10, and then it just gets easier and easier.

I'd say you probably want to stick with the main quest line until about level 5-7 to level up and get access to power armor. After that, go explore, do the DLC, and then finish up the main quest line.

...also, don't forget that you can just run away from tough enemies. You don't have to engage someone that you know will kill you. I had a really hard time with the mirelurks at lower levels on my first play though, so I just ran away from them until I leveled up instead of wasting all my ammo on them.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Yeah, you probably want to level up a bit before hitting Point Lookout. I say enjoy the game while it's tough because it gets pretty easy once you level up. I think I enjoyed the game the most between levels 6-10. The game is really tough at the low levels, challenging through 10, and then it just gets easier and easier.

I'd say you probably want to stick with the main quest line until about level 5-7 to level up and get access to power armor. After that, go explore, do the DLC, and then finish up the main quest line.

...also, don't forget that you can just run away from tough enemies. You don't have to engage someone that you know will kill you. I had a really hard time with the mirelurks at lower levels on my first play though, so I just ran away from them until I leveled up instead of wasting all my ammo on them.

This occurs in the main quest? I have a set of power armor, but not the training to use it.

griffinol

Mar 25, 2008
You can do the Operation Anchorage DLC to get power armor and power armor training. Pretty much you can do it right away after you leave the vault at the beginning.

This gets you a set of decent power armor that never degrades.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Well I'm kinda stuck in point lookout now. I did manage to get out of the mansion, and I am working through the rest of the episode with extensive running, and use of VATS. What is the recommendation once I finish PL? Work on the main quest, side quests, or move on to another DLC?

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Well I'm kinda stuck in point lookout now. I did manage to get out of the mansion, and I am working through the rest of the episode with extensive running, and use of VATS. What is the recommendation once I finish PL? Work on the main quest, side quests, or move on to another DLC?

Mothership Zeta! Do it! Do it! Do it!

jinsaotomex4

May 19, 2008
Good luck with that one, hope your game doesn't get bugged out like mine did (bridge teleport bug where quest autocompletes and some areas are closed off).

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
I thought FO3 was one of the easiest games I've ever played. You are stuck in VATS altogether too much, in my opinion. You'd literally take down armies of people without ever leaving slo-mo; it drove me nuts.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I thought FO3 was one of the easiest games I've ever played. You are stuck in VATS altogether too much, in my opinion. You'd literally take down armies of people without ever leaving slo-mo; it drove me nuts.

I hardly used VATs the first time playing it. It wasn't too difficult without it. The second time through I used it more often, but I also took more risks going up against opponents who outgunned me.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I found the game easy (especially at higher levels) and I never used VATs. Also in general energy weapons are better than ballistic weapons.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I hardly used VATs the first time playing it. It wasn't too difficult without it. The second time through I used it more often, but I also took more risks going up against opponents who outgunned me.

My first time playing i never knew about VATS and barely survived my first encounter with a mirelurk :(

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
It took me a few hours and a game restart to warm up to FO3, but once I did I enjoyed every last minute of it. Despite all of it's nuances, it really is a fun game.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Good luck with that one, hope your game doesn't get bugged out like mine did (bridge teleport bug where quest autocompletes and some areas are closed off).

Wow this game can be glitchy at times... Playing mothership zeta. The girl was apparently supposed to open a door for me, but she never did and then she disappeared. I had to use a console command to open the door. I hate doing that because it seems like cheating, but it was the only way to finish the mission...