"Falling through the floor" in Fallout NV

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Weird problem. I have 40 mods . I use FNVEdit, Loot and Nexus MM. The game is working fine EXCEPT: Every time I try to enter Nipton Town Hall, the game map partially disappears. Just a big blank in the middle of the floor. I can enter any other building in Nipton with no problems. I had no problems the first time I entered the Hall, but when I returned (fast travel) the Town Hall game map became incomplete. Missing meshes, textures or? :(
What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,
The Wife

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Can you install clean, apply your save, and see if it happens then?

I can't think of any other way to figure out what's happening without ruling out each mod, 1 by 1.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Yeah missing mesh I'd say. A missing texture would show a placeholder and I don't think you would fall through.

Are you running the Interiors mod? Get any errors at start?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Seems like a mods compatibility issue, either conflicting with another mod that makes changes in that specific interior map, or simply conflicting (glitching) the default game assets of that location. I doubt that there would simply be completely missing meshes in the default non-modded game, but nothing is impossible when it comes to Bethesda game bugs. Maybe it's just related to data not loading properly there following a fast travel (regardless of mods).

It's going to take some time (I.E. a lot) at figuring out what's causing the problem, lest you remove mods one by one and try your saved game again every time. Additionally, if you save the game with dozens of mods installed, and then remove a number of them... at some point or another you just won't be able to load your game anyway since it relies on data coming from mods that just won't be there anymore (which won't even be related to your original issue). It depends on the types of mods you have as well of course.

To start your investigation I would recommend that you simply make 100% sure that you don't have a single mod that modifies anything to the Nipton Town Hall to start with. Check each one of those mods' respective pages over at Nexus (or wherever you downloaded them) and see if they mention anything about the town hall specifically. If you do find even just one mod that happened to change something inside it (texture, model / mesh / script / quest, really anything) then start by removing that one mod and see if your game can be loaded again to start with (and if it does and the issue is gone, then you'd know right away). A bad (time consuming) scenario would be that there's one (or more) mod that modifies certain types of files that happen to be inside the Town Hall as well, without necessarily being made to intentionally modify the Town Hall per se. For example, a mod that would modify meshes for higher quality (polygon count) in the game's assets for the whole game map, and every one of those meshes are modified. So under that circumstance you'd have to remove all such mods just because the Town Hall happens to contain the type of files affected by said mods (and removing mods that way one by one is really bad for anyone's sanity).

I used to mod for Fallout 3, and I think I've done more elimination process troubleshooting than I've done any actual gameplay (and I had a blast at it nonetheless). If you're lucky enough, you'll find out which mod is the culprit right away and it's just gonna take five minutes to fix the issue. If you have to go through your 40 mods or so... then I hope you have patience.

Good luck.

Last edited:

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I have Poco Bueno and the Interrior Lighting overhaul...the only thing I can think of that might cause this effect. However will continue research, starting with a merge patch.

I've done more elimination process troubleshooting than I've done any actual gameplay

You're right about that!

Thanks for the info

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You might try Mod Organizer instead. It keeps your vanilla game intact and makes a hot game file with each mod combination, so it's supposed to be better at finding conflicts. Short of that, are you running the latest (circa November 2015) version of FNVEdit? If not, you'll want it - although it's a major PITA since they want you to strip down your game and re-run it from scratch.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Yesterday I got the dreaded "out of Memory" message with a game crash. I installed the 4gb fix from Nexus and the game ran smoothly. I re-visited Nipton T H and most of the floor had reappeared. There were a few "lakes", but I could at least jump over them and explore all three floors of the building. :cool: So, we'll see what happens in the rest of the game...so far, so good...I hope.

The Wife

Have not installed YUP. Is that recommended? Don't want to mess with the game any more than I have to.