Fallen Enchantress comes out today! (Master of Magic type game)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Damn I played for 4 hours straight yesterday and realised I found my new "One more turn" game lol. Had a blast starting a sandbox game in Legendary Heroes with a pre-generated Sovereign (I choose the Armorer one).

I played a bit with the Design option and found it really interesting but not that necessary. Early on I designed 3 new units and used them for a while but then I unlocked better units and found out I could upgrade their equipments, which is a really cool feature.

Some other questions:

- If you have a Cenotaph in your army, which is a starting unit, and you upgrade it's equipment, it remains a Cenotaph? But when you design a new unit starting from the Cenotaph "template" the unit gets a new name and better stats? So there's no way to fully upgrade a unit except from replacing it with a better one?

- How does Power Rating works? I'm currently sitting 2nd with 104 PR while the 1st is at 230+...what exactly PR represent? Army strength or overall Empire/Kingdom power?

Great, great game!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Damn I played for 4 hours straight yesterday and realised I found my new "One more turn" game lol. Had a blast starting a sandbox game in Legendary Heroes with a pre-generated Sovereign (I choose the Armorer one).

I played a bit with the Design option and found it really interesting but not that necessary. Early on I designed 3 new units and used them for a while but then I unlocked better units and found out I could upgrade their equipments, which is a really cool feature.

Some other questions:

- If you have a Cenotaph in your army, which is a starting unit, and you upgrade it's equipment, it remains a Cenotaph? But when you design a new unit starting from the Cenotaph "template" the unit gets a new name and better stats? So there's no way to fully upgrade a unit except from replacing it with a better one?

- How does Power Rating works? I'm currently sitting 2nd with 104 PR while the 1st is at 230+...what exactly PR represent? Army strength or overall Empire/Kingdom power?

Great, great game!

PR is a combination of military strength and empire size. It's how the other players view your might. Unlike Civ 5, you want to expand quickly and often in FE:LH and you want a strong army. if you don't, the AI will wage war on you perceiving that you are week. The issue I have with this is that the AI seems to easily forget deals you've made with them, alliance you've had with them and even if you're not bordering them. If they think you are militarily week, you will soon be out of their favor and they will wage war on you.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I must be lucky cause the 230+ Empire as yet to declare war on me after 4 hours of playtime...even though I was first for a while he started to grow really quickly and doubled my PR quite fast.

Maybe he's preparing something against me...

I only have 3 cities. My Capital is level 4 or 5, my second city level 3 and my third 2 or 3...maybe I should expand more...

Do you guys make use of Outpost a lot? I have some but most of the time I prefer to establish a new city...

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
So I am trying to figure out how this game plays. Is it like a Civ type game where you start with an empty canvas and begin building or does it have preset scenarios more like Age of Wonders? If it is the former, how long is a typical game?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I must be lucky cause the 230+ Empire as yet to declare war on me after 4 hours of playtime...even though I was first for a while he started to grow really quickly and doubled my PR quite fast.

Maybe he's preparing something against me...

I only have 3 cities. My Capital is level 4 or 5, my second city level 3 and my third 2 or 3...maybe I should expand more...

Do you guys make use of Outpost a lot? I have some but most of the time I prefer to establish a new city...

If you're 2nd, then you're probably okay. If you were second to last then expect everyone to declare war on you.

I use Outposts because there are only certain areas where resources are available for a city and there are many things (mines, shards, etc) located around the map that you don't have resources to have a city next to it. And if you don't have essence on a tile, then it's not really worth it to build one there.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
So I am trying to figure out how this game plays. Is it like a Civ type game where you start with an empty canvas and begin building or does it have preset scenarios more like Age of Wonders? If it is the former, how long is a typical game?

Like Civ where you have a random map with resources strewn about and you settle your city where you want. However, unlike Civ there are also quests strewn around the map that will let you earn experience, weapons and other items. There's also and end-game that requires you to beat the Master Quest. There are other victory conditions similar to Civ.

Also, battles are turned based much like Might and Magic or you can auto-resolve battles.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Like Civ where you have a random map with resources strewn about and you settle your city where you want. However, unlike Civ there are also quests strewn around the map that will let you earn experience, weapons and other items. There's also and end-game that requires you to beat the Master Quest. There are other victory conditions similar to Civ.

Also, battles are turned based much like Might and Magic or you can auto-resolve battles.

Awesome, thanks! Looks like this will be my next game then.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Awesome, thanks! Looks like this will be my next game then.

You won't regret this! Great 4X fantasy game, well made, cool features like popping quests and challenges all over the world, many great ways to build your Empire/Kingdom, you can create your own Sovereign or choose one from the dozen available, you can design your own units in-game and upgrade them, 3 Tech trees that are really cool, Level system for your Sovereign and Cities...and many more cool stuff!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
You won't regret this! Great 4X fantasy game, well made, cool features like popping quests and challenges all over the world, many great ways to build your Empire/Kingdom, you can create your own Sovereign or choose one from the dozen available, you can design your own units in-game and upgrade them, 3 Tech trees that are really cool, Level system for your Sovereign and Cities...and many more cool stuff!

Just make sure not to make your own Sovereign too strong because it becomes available to the computer to use as an opponent. I made that mistake once and played a game choosing a regular Sovereign. One of the computer opponents ended up being my created Sovereign from a previous game. She ended up whipping my ass. Nothing like getting beat down by your own creation. :(

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
PR is a combination of military strength and empire size. It's how the other players view your might. Unlike Civ 5, you want to expand quickly and often in FE:LH and you want a strong army. if you don't, the AI will wage war on you perceiving that you are week. The issue I have with this is that the AI seems to easily forget deals you've made with them, alliance you've had with them and even if you're not bordering them. If they think you are militarily week, you will soon be out of their favor and they will wage war on you.

I will admit that I use the AI's tendency to use your lack of an army against them in all 4X games. I keep a minimal army, but build up the production and wealth of my civilization using the savings from having no army upkeep. Once a civ declares war on my, I pump out soldiers with the heavy production capacity I built up and wipe the floor with them, taking all their cities. It seems to work in most 4X games.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005

Sounds good. I checked out a couple of "let's play" videos and the game seems very well done. Now hopefully Steam gets going on that summer sale!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I rather liked Elemental in it's earliest, completely broken format :D

There was a pretty long thread here about it when it was first released. I'd love to get back into it, after getting all these emails about all this new free content that was sent to me. ...I need to reinstall what is now, I think Gamestop? to get this thing to play, though.

I hope Fallen Enchantress and the new campaign(s) are finally living up to their original vision. The concept of Elemental was always amazing to me....but that initial execution was rather terrible.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'd simply install Legendary Heroes and play the hell out of it!
Better everything!

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I rather liked Elemental in it's earliest, completely broken format :D

There was a pretty long thread here about it when it was first released. I'd love to get back into it, after getting all these emails about all this new free content that was sent to me. ...I need to reinstall what is now, I think Gamestop? to get this thing to play, though.

I hope Fallen Enchantress and the new campaign(s) are finally living up to their original vision. The concept of Elemental was always amazing to me....but that initial execution was rather terrible.

You don't need GameStop to get the game, you can get it directly from the Stardock Accounts page (even if you bought it through Impulse originally). Legendary Hero's is only available via Steam though.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You don't need GameStop to get the game, you can get it directly from the Stardock Accounts page (even if you bought it through Impulse originally). Legendary Hero's is only available via Steam though.

hmm, does this mean elemental can be installed through steam, now? that would be nifty.

I would like to do that with my SoSE games as well.... :hmm:

well, poop. It seems that I can't add any of those to Steam. I know that Sins was made avialable some time ago, but I think those older product keys don't work.

Is Legendary Heroes basically everything in Elemental up until that release?

Last edited:

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Bumping this since a few of us just jumped into FE:LH due to the Steam sale.

This game is pretty fun but I have a few annoying observations so far:

1) The tutorial sucks, it barely teaches you anything.

2) The auto-explore option is retarded, your scouts will commit suicide by attacking superior monsters.

I'm still playing my first game and enjoying it though, learning the ropes.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Are any of the DLC for FE:LH worth buying? Was thinking of maybe the quest dlc but thought would check fi anyone has actually tried them...

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
Are any of the DLC for FE:LH worth buying? Was thinking of maybe the quest dlc but thought would check fi anyone has actually tried them...

I'd say the quest DLC because it gives you mini tasks and rewards, and once you do the campaigns, the map DLC because some of the maps are cool and offer new pieces for the make custom map module.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I only played for 3 hours according to Steam. I just didn't get much into it like I hoped and the scouts are freaking retarded I swear.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I've put about 30 hours into the game so far and I really like it. I have never played this style of RPG/strategy before so perhaps the novelty of it adds to the enjoyment. Like most strategy games however I would say you need to do the management yourself (including moving scouts). One thing I really like about this game is that it never really gets bogged down in the later rounds like the Civ games for example so I have found little need to have the computer manage my cities or units.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Pretty far into my first game, it's definitely a lot like Civilization. I started out as the underdog but I kept building up my production capacity and now I'm steamrolling people. I got lucky with placement though, starting city was on kind of a peninsula which was easily defensible. I've got the AI on normal and it's pretty stupid, keeps sending hero units with no army protection into my territory, which I kill every time. I'll have to try a higher AI setting next time.

I'm emphasizing production and military this game, so it's really playing mostly like Civilization, but I'm using a little magic. I love the Tremor spell, freezes an enemy army in your territory in place for 3 seasons, so you have enough time to move in a response force to kick their ass. Next game I'll have to try going research/spell heavy and see how that is.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I bought this because it was on sale, not bad at all but I agree with the others that scouts are a waste of resources, don't think I've had one live more than a few turns.

And is it just me or is the game quite buggy? The mouse cursor often changes to something else and won't revert when I'm clicking (it does eventually) and quite often I'm trying to manage a town and my units are moving at the same time constantly interrupting what I'm trying to do.

Is there a way to simply have your town on automatic build? I think Civ.3 had that and it simplifies life greatly so you don't constantly find yourself looking for cities with Zzzz that need to be managed.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
FE:LH 1.4 patch is out! They added what I think is the original Fallen Enchantress scenario to this game, which is pretty cool since I don't have the previous game.