Fake weapons parts (mostly from China) are a ticking time bomb

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Wait.
Just wait a second.

Let me see if I've got this straight.

We make it nearly impossible to import sugar in order to prop up our own sugar industry. Why? Because we need that ability in a time of war.

But, we're outsourcing the manufacture of our war weapons?

If I've got this right, then some people seriously need to be out of a job.

but wait, no thats not it at all, you have it completely wrong!

We aren't outsourcing the manufacturing of our war weapons at all! We are just outsourcing the manufacturing of the parts necessary for us to manufacture our war weapons and one of the countries is only sort of communist. See, that is completely different isn't it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Also, imagine what would have happened if we let the our automobile industry go completely bankrupt and disappear like the free marketers wanted. Tanks? Can't build no stinking tanks.

Could the automakers actually be retooled to make modern tanks in this day and age? (serious question, their plants seem very high tech and extremely product specific but by all means correct me if I am wrong)

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Could the automakers actually be retooled to make modern tanks in this day and age? (serious question, their plants seem very high tech and extremely product specific but by all means correct me if I am wrong)

I wouldn't think so since they rely so much on automation these days and the use of unibody construction. Its not like back in the day where they did a lot of manufacturing by hand and creating a steel panel for a car could easily be changed to making a steel panel for a tank only the scale changes.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
C'maaaaaahn guys.

Stop insulting each other when this is about Genuine American Stupidity in the name of....

What the hell is this in the name of? It is not like our weapons and armaments are CHEAP.