Fake GTX 960 4GB All Over Ebay - Warning

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by Moochiek, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Moochiek

Moochiek Junior Member

Just before the holidays, many sellers are trying to cash in using counterfeit cards.
    For $39.99 + $2.99 Shipping, Hong Kong or Chinese eBay sellers are selling GTX 960 4GB.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Fit-NV...949690?hash=item2f10100aba:g:e5gAAOSweExaIm4z

There are many other sellers.

The interesting thing is that some post a GPU-Z screen, showing how well they flashed the card to say what they want it show but unfortunately, they cannot fake GPU and Memory speeds.
    If you plug those into Google, you will instantly find out that NVidia GTS 450 is the actual card which matches the speeds exactly.

Stay alert!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Fake Ebay Warning Forum Date
    What Resolution Would A Graphics Card Detect On A RGBW aka Fake 4K TV Video Cards and Graphics Jan 29, 2017
    Fake / virtual monitor in Windows 7? Video Cards and Graphics Nov 4, 2013
    [Fake] [TPU] Radeon R10 Zeus Graphics Processor to shatter GTX780Ti?[TPU] Video Cards and Graphics Oct 29, 2013
    (OBR) AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz - "GPU Boost" and faked clocks! Video Cards and Graphics Jun 21, 2012
    Help! FAKE GT240 Nvidia Card From EBAY.... Video Cards and Graphics Aug 19, 2011

3. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads-up. I've seen the other "750ti" and "1050ti" fakes, they were all 550ti re-flashes.

More and more, if it ships from China, it's fake.

4. jana519

jana519 Senior member

Choose "Filters-->> Item Location -->> US Only" ALL the time, EVERY time I buy anything on eBay. Saving $3 and waiting 4-5 weeks for freight shipping is never worth it. I'll pay extra every time to deal with an American seller rather than deal with the headache of foreign sellers.

Burpo, ZGR and daveybrat like this.
  5. cfenton

cfenton Member

What's the game for these sellers? Doesn't eBay just refund these transactions? Or are they counting on people buying these and not realizing they got screwed?

6. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I think that your average NV GPU newbie / ebay user, sees the listings, thinks, "Hey, what a deal!", gets the card, installs the drivers, and never knows the difference. Of course, if you're the type to install upgraded drivers, I don't know if those throw up any kinds of errors, or the name changes in Device Manager from what the hacked drivers installed, and what the normal drivers report for that GPU, etc.

7. UsandThem

UsandThem Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

This news is just great.

Just a couple days ago I ordered a GTX 1080ti for $79.95, which is coming from China. I sure hope it doesn't turn out being a fake. ;)

ZGR, NTMBK, dark zero and 3 others like this.
  8. Jforce

Jforce Member

We be waiting on your remarks once the item lands in your possession.

9. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

I almost wish this were true just so we could see what you would actually get.

UsandThem likes this.
  10. UsandThem

Super Moderator

But then I'd be out of $80 :p

11. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Don't they offer some kind of fraud protection?

12. UsandThem

Super Moderator

If they can get it back. Many sellers like that simply disappear. Caveat Emptor on anything coming directly from China.

ZGR likes this.
  13. Guru

Guru Member

Who the *** would want to buy a gtx 960 these days anyways? Its an utter crap card and at only $40 doesn't even make sense that any gpu can be that cheap and not be the utter low tier garbage.

14. mindless1

mindless1 Diamond Member

For $40 new I would. Next cheapest option is a GT 1030 @ $70 (currently), not for gaming, just a cheap way to add HDMI2 for 4K@60Hz support, and nVidia drivers which I prefer... if it were real.

#13 mindless1, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017