Fairness doctrine

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Where does Barry(Constitution law professor) stand on the issue and do you think congress will try to pass this legislation?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Yes, they will pass it. They have been promising their lib friends on the radio they will do it for a long time. Just the other day some lib congress critter said they were going to do it. With the likes of Pelosi and Reid in charge and with BHO in the whitehouse - it's a done deal for sure.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
Did someone help you type this post out?

Your mom did, how'd you know?

wow, my mum passed away back in 2003 - that would be a neat trick if she could have made your post for you.....

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Has he ever mentioned his stance on the FD?

I don't think he would make it part of his agenda, but if it came to his desk I doubt he would veto it. I think it's kind of lame of the Democrats to try and push this, but at the same time, I'm not going to have a lot of sympathy if it ends up passing and right-wing talkshow hosts have to present both sides of an issue. I'm really pretty apathetic on this issue I guess.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Yes it is might even be the first bill president Obama signs into law. His stance on the issue is meaningless. He won't have the balls to veto any bill he will just be a rubberstamp for pelosi/reid. Then I am sure he will put someone in charge of the FCC whos only mission is to put fox news and talk radio out of business.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: Evan
Nope, it won't even get close.

Why?

Because it has been around for decades yet never passed despite many chances with Democratic congresses and in the 90's a Democratic president. FCC eventually dropped it and the standards are simply improbable to measure and near impossible to enforce without stamping out free speech. It'll never happen. Unless it's significantly altered.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I don't think it's coming back. I haven't heard anything about it in years. Honestly, us liberals don't care - We're too busy working at our jobs to listen to fucking talk radio. And we're not worried about the large portion of Rush-thinking individuals who seem to have 3 hour blocks of time to fill their brains with worthless drivel.

I actually heard Randi Rhodes's show once. Not hard to see why it failed. Liberals are too intelligent for that shit.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Blackjack200
I don't think it's coming back. I haven't heard anything about it in years. Honestly, us liberals don't care - We're too busy working at our jobs to listen to fucking talk radio. And we're not worried about the large portion of Rush-thinking individuals who seem to have 3 hour blocks of time to fill their brains with worthless drivel.

I actually heard Randi Rhodes's show once. Not hard to see why it failed. Liberals are too intelligent for that shit.

Is that why kerry and Pelosi have stated they support bringing it back?.... because they don't care? :roll:

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
It's a bogeyman for right wing talk show hosts to rile up their listeners (pretty much all they're good at any more) and that's it. It's not coming back and Obama won't push it as an issue.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: eskimospy
No, Obama has specifically stated he does not support the fairness doctrine.

You don't honestly believe he'd veto it though over the wishes of Pelosi and Reid do you? :laugh:

Just how am I supposed to respond to your claim of hypothetical action (or non-action) by Obama against a hypothetical bill? Is it a standalone bill? Is it a rider on something else? How did it get past the Republican filibuster? There are lots of Democrats that don't support the fairness doctrine, so how did it get through the chambers of Congress?

I honestly believe that all the people talking about how Obama will be at the mercy of the Congressional leaders don't seem to understand the first goddamned thing about how our government functions in this day and age. The President sets the agenda, as his branch is currently vastly more powerful than the Congress. Pelosi and Reid will be dancing to his tune, not the other way around.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

You don't honestly believe he'd veto it though over the wishes of Pelosi and Reid do you? :laugh:

Just how am I supposed to respond to your claim of hypothetical action (or non-action) by Obama against a hypothetical bill? Is it a standalone bill? Is it a rider on something else? How did it get past the Republican filibuster? There are lots of Democrats that don't support the fairness doctrine, so how did it get through the chambers of Congress?

I honestly believe that all the people talking about how Obama will be at the mercy of the Congressional leaders don't seem to understand the first goddamned thing about how our government functions in this day and age. The President sets the agenda, as his branch is currently vastly more powerful than the Congress. Pelosi and Reid will be dancing to his tune, not the other way around.

uhh... Seems you are the one that doesn't know a "goddamned" thing about how things work. Congress writes the bills genius. You can claim BHO would set "the agenda" but reality dictates he really only has as much power to set an agenda as congressional leaders give him. In this case, there is no way Pelosi and Reid are going to let him run things.

Keep up the "hope" though.... it's all you kids seem to be able to do these days...

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

I don't understand where you get the idea that Pelosi and Reid are going to usurp the power of the executive branch.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Yes, they will pass it. They have been promising their lib friends on the radio they will do it for a long time. Just the other day some lib congress critter said they were going to do it. With the likes of Pelosi and Reid in charge and with BHO in the whitehouse - it's a done deal for sure.

Come one, do you honestly think the democrats hate freedom of speech that much? there would have to be enough republicans to keep it from being filibustered, there are plenty of democrats who don't hate freedom of speech, even if it disagrees with them, and the USSC has been so heavily swayed conservative there is no chance on earth it will stand up.

God I hope so

Blowhards like Rush, Hannity and the rest of the Republican America haters should be mopping floors not brainwashing Americans.
anyone with a political point of view should be silenced, it is to much for my little brain to handle.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Farang

I don't understand where you get the idea that Pelosi and Reid are going to usurp the power of the executive branch.

Another one who doesn't know how things work? Go figure...

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008

what CSG is trying to say is that often times the executive branch gives things that they say they would rather not to people of their own party in order to get things of greater priority, that they do want, done.

Just ask yourself, would obama give up protecting us from the fairness doctrine in order to get some unpopular(among democrats), but necessary, things (ex: clean coal) going?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: DixyCrat

what CSG is trying to say is that often times the executive branch gives things that they say they would rather not to people of their own party in order to get things of greater priority, that they do want, done.

Just ask yourself, would obama give up protecting us from the fairness doctrine in order to get some unpopular(among democrats), but necessary, things (ex: clean coal) going?

No he is saying that Obama is going to bend over and take it in the ass by Pelosi and Reid, without bothering to mention a reason why he would give up his power as the executive. I understand it is a give and take process but really Obama holds most of the cards. It has traditionally been this way when the President's party controls part or all of congress.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: quest55720
Yes it is might even be the first bill president Obama signs into law. His stance on the issue is meaningless. He won't have the balls to veto any bill he will just be a rubberstamp for pelosi/reid. Then I am sure he will put someone in charge of the FCC whos only mission is to put fox news and talk radio out of business.

This is good to hear - you're usually wrong about everything, so the fact that you think this will happen means that it probably won't :p