failing psu?

plummer66

Nov 10, 2004
So i rebooted my machine yesterday to find out that i will not reboot.
-new parts about a week old (asus p8z77-v), i3570k.
-older parts 8 gigs of mushkin ram -ati 5870 vid
-antec 750 watt psu (as far as I can remember).

Machine tries to boot...but does not. Sounds like my CPU fan starts up on a regular speed and then slows down, goes up and then down. Mouse and keyboard power up....and then power off, continue to do this.

I am thinking it is PSU....but I would like anyone guesses to make sure I am going down the right path.

Thanks!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Clear the CMOS and try again. Have you updated the BIOS recently?

Could be the power supply, but lets try this first. Sounds like you're stuck in a boot loop.

plummer66

Nov 10, 2004
thx dude. Good idea. I will try tonight and report back my findings. Yes it has the latest BIOS as well.

riva2model64

Dec 13, 2012
Sounds like boot loop issue to me. That issue plagued many motherboards.

My motherboard would have the boot loop issue when it lost power. . I went to sleep during a storm and when I woke up, the computer was still restarting! Yeah I had to unplug the computer from the wall to get it working again.

When diagnosing comp issues, it usually helps to test the computer with just one stick of ram in it (to eliminate variables).

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
My motherboard would have the boot loop issue when it lost power. . I went to sleep during a storm and when I woke up, the computer was still restarting! Yeah I had to unplug the computer from the wall to get it working again.

When diagnosing comp issues, it usually helps to test the computer with just one stick of ram in it (to eliminate variables).

You know why that issue happens right?

It happens because motherboards have a backup bios that is older than the bios flashed. So when an issue happens, like losing power, it like trys to revert to the wrong bios which has things changed which causes it to loop over and over.

I think one of the fixes for that was updating the backup bios (if possible) to the same bios which is currently loaded.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
just had a antec psu go out on me, would boot loop at first and stopped even that in short order.

opened it up and it had several bulging caps.

if possible, try another power supply.

how old is this power supply? if it's 5+ years old, it would definitely be suspect.

Last edited:

riva2model64

Dec 13, 2012
You know why that issue happens right?

It happens because motherboards have a backup bios that is older than the bios flashed. So when an issue happens, like losing power, it like trys to revert to the wrong bios which has things changed which causes it to loop over and over.

I think one of the fixes for that was updating the backup bios (if possible) to the same bios which is currently loaded.

I didn't know that, but it makes sense. I have a dual-bios mobo, and I have flashed the bios twice. It completely slipped my mind to update the back-up bios.

I "fixed" the issue though, by telling the computer to remain off after a power-loss (it was on a resume state setting before).

I'm just worried that my hard-drive lost some years off its life after restarting several hundred times in a loop o_O

Last edited: