Failed to get an Internship, What should I do now?!

Kenji4861

Banned
Jan 28, 2001
I'm about to complete my junior year in college and believe me, I tried really hard to get an software engineering internship for this summer. No luck. What's something useful to do this summer? Any advice?

Right now, I'm just leaning towards another year of some summer school, no brainer job, exercise, study, etc. =(

What are you all doing this summer? :(

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I'm doing web devlopment for the government over the summer, full time until school starts back up in the fall.

You should jsut get a regular job, wait tables or something.

Kenji4861

Banned
Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
I'm doing web devlopment for the government over the summer, full time until school starts back up in the fall.

You should jsut get a regular job, wait tables or something.

What year are you?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I'm halfway through my sophomore year, and I'm 21... I've done more working than schooling over the last 2 years.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
If you have some spare cash, go travel somewhere. Seriously, dude, you will have all your life to work you butt off.
I am working full time, and i get 2 weeks/year vacation
It's good to have some work experience, but if you can't get it, why not make the best of the summer?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm going to save up money for school next year (and save a nest egg just in case)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I'm going to save up money for school next year (and save a nest egg just in case)
Screw that. Once you get a real job, you are gonna have tonnes of money, but no time to spend it. It's just going to pile up in your bank account, 401K, Roth IRA, and you will just be sitting here on friday night posting on anandtech. I know people that has happenned to :)

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
if it makes you feel better I just read in Time magazine they are predicting a major boom in the job market in 2003. by the time you graduate it should be pretty good again.

Kenji4861

Banned
Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by: weezergirl
if it makes you feel better I just read in Time magazine they are predicting a major boom in the job market in 2003. by the time you graduate it should be pretty good again.

Thanks weezergirl and everyone. =) I feel much better. I think I'm just going to school to practice some more programming, work at some cloth store to meet some people, maybe go to Japan and have some fun. Thanks and hopefully by the time I get out, I'm gonna be all ready.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Instead of starting with an internship why not start with maybe just a small yacht.

Goosemastertemp

May 12, 2002
I'm about to complete my junior year in college and believe me, I tried really hard to get an software engineering internship for this summer. No luck. What's something useful to do this summer? Any advice?

Try again.

I had an interview with an Engineering firm and it went so so....I was at the programming branch ( I am more interested in the hardware side of things;))

I actually impresed the IT department (they were really interested in me) which WAS good, but I probably can't take the job because my college won't give me BSEE credit for it now that co-op is part of my curriculum :(

Then again...I have 20:Q OTHER jobs I have applied to as well...

As for the economy, or at least at the BEGINNING of the year, Hiring of Engineering was really high compared to other careers....companies will always need Engineering peeps to work on building those flying cars everyone wants
rolleye.gif

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
Screw that. Once you get a real job, you are gonna have tonnes of money, but no time to spend it. It's just going to pile up in your bank account, 401K, Roth IRA, and you will just be sitting here on friday night posting on anandtech. I know people that has happenned to

heh heh, indeed
rolleye.gif