FAH and vista, no passcode?

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
I'm the vista guinea pig for the office so I got a quad core box built and have been trying to install FAH on the box with a few problems:

1. When I go through the config, it asks for name and team, then passcode []
I don't know what that means but it prevents the service from being added.

2. Am I setting this up right? I have two folders (fah1 and fah2) where I install the client and then assign 1 to ID 1 an so on. I plan to do it for the other cores when I get these working correcvtly.

3. Can I run a GPU with the cpu clients simultaneously? I tried it and the GPU client terminated.

Thanks for your help,

Gravity

Go Mark Williams!!

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
(Assuming you are using the SMP client)

I think the passcode it is asking for is the password for the Windows administrator account.

-Sid

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Tried that, no worky.

I'm reading the FAH forums and there might be a passcode or passkey for the betas. I hope that's not the case. I might just let these units finish then use the other console client.

Thanks,

Gravity

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
I was curioous and tried setting up a standard clent and it asked me for a passcode (I don't remember being asked that before.... I just hit Enter and it went on about the configuration and all was good.

???

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Gravity
Tried that, no worky.

I'm reading the FAH forums and there might be a passcode or passkey for the betas. I hope that's not the case. I might just let these units finish then use the other console client.

Thanks,

Gravity

Yeah, it's something new for the ver 6 clients.

Here's the link to the FAQ

Here's a link to get your passkey: Passkey

Hmmm...I don't know why this is necessary (security?)

You can leave it blank (hit return), but.....no BONUS points!

:beer:

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
1. The passcode is a new feature of v6. It is for security, results you send in with a passcode will be known to come from you. Results sent in by someone else under your name without your passcode will still be added to your point total but will be known to not be from one of your official machines. Not sure what else it does.

Except they hinted that there will eventually be a BONUS given for WU results sent in with a passcode!?!

I can't remember what they said how to get a passcode, but I know that they email it to you after you do something :confused:

2. & 3. Looks like you are setting up the regular clients correctly, except maybe you have to use 2 & 3 for the machineIDs and then the GPU will be number 1.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
I think they say to make sure to load one less regular client than your total number of CPU clients to keep one CPU free to process the GPU client along with the GPU itself.

-Sid

edit: I used biodoc's link and got a passcode and used it on a regular client for a machine that I have for just a short time. No evidence of any difference due to using the passcode.
I am assuming will be (or is hoped to be...) used as some method to try and spank people that 'cherry pick' work units (people doing deletions of ones with BS scoring values to get ones that score better). It'll be F@H's loss.... there are lots of projects besides F@H available that score (more nearly) fairly and also understand who is in charge of what MY computer crunches.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Thanks for all the help. I got the passkey and the services installed. I'm going to run 3 clients on this quad core box and one gpu if I can figure it all out.

Best,

Gravity

GO Mark Williams!!!!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gravity
I'm the vista guinea pig for the office so I got a quad core box built and have been trying to install FAH on the box with a few problems:

1. When I go through the config, it asks for name and team, then passcode []
I don't know what that means but it prevents the service from being added.

2. Am I setting this up right? I have two folders (fah1 and fah2) where I install the client and then assign 1 to ID 1 an so on. I plan to do it for the other cores when I get these working correcvtly.

3. Can I run a GPU with the cpu clients simultaneously? I tried it and the GPU client terminated.

Thanks for your help,

Gravity

Go Mark Williams!!

Good luck on the Vista. It's seems to be OK for desktops but not for laptops.

Hard to get used to as well, no where near as intuitive as XP, big steps backwards.

Putting FAH on the work machines? Thought was illegal in the U.S.?

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Why would F@H on your work machine be illegal?

As long as you have your employers permission to use their resources I don't see how there could be a problem. Using company resources without permission, regardless of what - phone, internet (bandwidth), cpu cycles, etc. - can get you in trouble. But to be illegal....:confused: