fad - The battle is still on for first place!

Ross Whitehead

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2002
Mloot is still in first, and I am trying to catch him but he seems to stay one step ahead... this could be a long battle!

Mloot, have you recently added new hardware? I am thinking I might have to power on my spare computer, a 1GHz Athlon.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Nope, I'm still running the same hardware. I should have my first build completed sometime next month, though. I'm hoping it will boost my crunching power a little. :)

Ross Whitehead

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2002
I know that you, or many other people, could pass me in the blink of an eye. My only hope is that SETI keeps going and distracting people, but on the other hand it would be nice to see more TeAm work on FaD and allow us to get higher than 17'th place.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: DBBoy
I know that you, or many other people, could pass me in the blink of an eye. My only hope is that SETI keeps going and distracting people, but on the other hand it would be nice to see more TeAm work on FaD and allow us to get higher than 17'th place.

When SETI 1 ends I'll be directing more power to FAD if they improve the client a bit. I MUST have a low maintenance client because I can't run around checking all my fleet everyday. I've been "beta" testing the client one of my systems for a couple months now and I'm not all that pleased with it. I noticed some lag at times when using the machine and it will leave completed results sitting in the queue until I manually send them....not good.

The lag issue is probably the worst of the evils. No way I can install the client on someone's PC if they are going to notice it and it affects their work.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Dang. I had to re-install FaD on two of my machines. One was connected to the internet and the other was sneakernetted off the first. The client crashed on the main machine and I could not get it to restart, so I lost the jobs that both have been crunching for the past two days. :disgust:

Looks like DBBoy may get his chance sooner than I thought.

Ross Whitehead

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2002
I only have three PCs crunching and they are all 100%... and I "believe" that you have more accumulted horsepower than I.

Am I wrong?

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by: DBBoy
I only have three PCs crunching and they are all 100%... and I "believe" that you have more accumulted horsepower than I.

Am I wrong?

No, you're not wrong. The only thing keeping us ahead of BC is his commitment to SETI. When he had his whole "junkpile" working on FaD, there was no one who could touch him. :)

BCinSC

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
If I can ever get around to getting that pair of new Barton 3200+ online, I might get cranking.