FaD - Stats Changes

Ross Whitehead

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2002
On the stats front... I have made some great progress this weekend migrating to the CSVs. I am also taking this opportunity to migrate to MS SQL Server 2005 Beta2. So far it is holding it's own and my biggest, and most boring, task is importing the 5 months of csv's I was collecting. If I imported 8 weeks that would be sufficient for the current stats format.

I suspect by end of week I should be in a position to be totally dependant upon the csv's and not care about the HTML frames anymore. This also lays the foundation for MORE stats down the road.

What types of new stats would people be interested in seeing?

One things I want to implement is the ability to see the "time to overtake" for the entire members list so you could monitor your progress up the ladder outside of the TeAm also. I would also like to include some stats on individual workstations, i.e.: last job submitted, est. CPU Rating, etc... but this would get large really quick!

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
WoW! Sound very cool!!! :D

Thanx for all your effort Ross, I'm looking forward to the new stats! :beer:;)

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hey Ross... the stats I provide are fairly basic... daily & overall progress at the user & team levels... there's an at-a-glance page for both user and team that has an overtake column based on weekly output. The D2OL stats have node level information that is updated hourly... you can see my stats at http://12.3.177.174:6969/d2ol/main.php ... I've got 5 projects covered and plan to add some more... one-stop-stats-shopping for TA members :) They seem to have what most folks look for... I haven't had many requests to add more stuff, not for lack of people visiting... the page hits for each of the projects are:

D2OL 172,468
TSC 52,560
LIFEMAPPER 31,685
DPAD 27,437
17-OR-BUST 10,776

Some projects have great 3rd party stats, and there's not much point in creating new pages for those projects.

This started off as a learning experience... build & configure a web server, learn PHP & MySQL, and it's grown from there. The D2OL stats have stats at the node level that are updated hourly. Half of the projects are updated hourly, the other half (the first ones I did) are only updated once daily. The server has grown from an XP1700 with 512mb ram and a single 20g hard drive to a dual XP1800 with 768Mb ECC ram and a 30g RAID-5 disk array (thanks to some great fundraising and donations from the TA community!). Plans are for it to be moved into the server room at work... a little better home for it than the desk it's currently sitting on... it will be moved to its own IP address and will sit on the UPS :)

If you'd like to see the code that's behind the pages, you're more than welcome... just LMK! :)

Geoff

Ross Whitehead

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2002
I really like the look of your pages, they are nice and clean and concise. What is the meaning of the different lines on the Production graphs?

Mine is also a learning experience. I have no plans to go more often than daily. I believe stats are a strategic tool, not tactical. Having said that I believe one of the interests in the Workstation level sttas is so that it is easy to identify "lost" workstations. I have never developed a website, nor do I feel the desire to poke such holes in my firewall so I am not sure I will ever get to a graphical interface like yours.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
lol... I knew very little about HTML before starting my project... I'm a DB guy too... lists of numbers are fine for me but I quickly figured out that some form is required :D

The lines on the graphs are 7-day (red) and 30-day average (blue)... I should label those one day! ;)

The hourly update in the D2OL nodes pages was precisely for the reason you stated... identifying locked up nodes that needed a little nudge... D2OL was prone to problems before the latest update.

I had never set up an Apache server before (the first stats box used IIS 5) and it was easier than I thought. I don't think there are many holes (if any) that you need to poke in the firewall... I try to be careful about that too... I think you just need port 80 for http traffic (although I'm no network admin, either). I loaded up ZoneAlarm as a precaution and was actually thinking of putting a router between the network connection and the server to really control what traffic occurs over what ports. Dunno if that's overkill or, on the other extreme, not at all effective... seems to have worked for my home network! :)