Faculty Mass Exodus After "Lifestyle Statement" Pledge Required At Baptist University

Status
Not open for further replies.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/...faculty-leaving-over-new-lifestyle-statements

In October, the college announced it would require all employees to sign a “lifestyle statement” rejecting homosexuality, adultery, premarital sex, drug use and drinking in public near the Rome, Ga., college’s campus. It also requires faculty to be active members of a local church. The statement, one of several steps the university has taken to intensify its Christian identity after the Georgia Baptist Convention began asserting more control over the campus six years ago, provoked an uproar among faculty, alumni and observers.
Since the statements were first proposed, controversy has raged. An anonymous survey in April found only 12 percent of faculty and staff plan to stay. Save Our Shorter, a group opposing the changes, has a list on its website of more than 50 faculty members who are leaving as a result of the new policies. Several departments, including science and the fine arts, have been “eviscerated,” Wilson said.
This is hilarious and sad at the same time. Religious fundamentalist try to force their beliefs on their employees and you can guess what happens next.

OP pointed out the repost in post #5. -DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
they don't like it they're free to move on. freedom goes both ways

Dec 10, 2005
they don't like it they're free to move on. freedom goes both ways
True, but I don't think it's appropriate for employers to be forcing such stringent morality clauses on their employees. There may be free choice in the matter, but true freedom requires perfect job mobility. Without that ability to go from job to job with no unemployed downtime in between, it can quickly become a Hobson choice.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
True, but I don't think it's appropriate for employers to be forcing such stringent morality clauses on their employees. There may be free choice in the matter, but true freedom requires perfect job mobility. Without that ability to go from job to job with no unemployed downtime in between, it can quickly become a Hobson choice.
Then you don`t have to work for that employer...sorry...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The unions say it is in all the Non-right to work states.

But outside of that, no one should be surprised that a religious institution would require you to follow the tenets of that religion if they are paying you.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009

But outside of that, no one should be surprised that a religious institution would require you to follow the tenets of that religion if they are paying you.

So what's the limit on private employers' requirements? Should a religious institution get that right but not a secular one?

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

Was Shorter University a religious entity/institution before the Georgia Baptist Convention took it over in 2005?

Are you saying that all employees of a Jesuit university are either Catholic or must adhere to Catholic tenets in their off work hours?

My wife used to work for the publishing arm of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod; she did have to keep from interjecting her own beliefs or opinions while talking to customers but she certainly did not have to convert to the Lutheran church or follow Lutheran tenets in her off work hours.

Yes, Lutherans are very conservative in their views; in most cases similar to Baptists.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Was Shorter University a religious entity/institution before the Georgia Baptist Convention took it over in 2005?

Are you saying that all employees of a Jesuit university are either Catholic or must adhere to Catholic tenets in their off work hours?

My wife used to work for the publishing arm of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod; she did have to keep from interjecting her own beliefs or opinions while talking to customers but she certainly did not have to convert to the Lutheran church or follow Lutheran tenets in her off work hours.

Yes, Lutherans are very conservative in their views; in most cases similar to Baptists.

Can the Presidential Cabinet members stump for the opposing party on their days off without impunity?

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Can the Presidential Cabinet members stump for the opposing party on their days off without impunity?

I don't know. I'll guess probably not and that if they are doing so they're walking a tightrope in regards to electioneering.

Nor do I know what your question has to do with the topic.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don't know. I'll guess probably not and that if they are doing so they're walking a tightrope in regards to electioneering.

Nor do I know what your question has to do with the topic.

The point is that there are circumstances where who is hired and the conditions placed on those selected are affected by other considerations and both the religious philosophy of the institution and the political actions of those employed are of considered a higher priority because of Constitutional protections. Neither a college where religious beliefs is a part of their mission if you will, nor a President in office can be expected to perform as they are legally allowed to if intentional subversion is permitted. I referred to the spoils system where entire staffs of competent people are ousted solely to reward loyal party members and endure conformity and efficiency to the party in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.