Facebook.Zynga, Groupon IPO? who is in?

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
I started moving all the excess cash I have into my stock account.

I am gonna put all my cash in for the first day when it goes live and then sell at the end of the day. What are you guys planning to do??

Whatt strategies if any are you planning to employ.

Yahoo upcoming IPO page
http://biz.yahoo.com/ipo/

Last edited:

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
They all sound bad in the long run to me.

I'm staying away, but mainly because im illiquid right now due to some surprise bills.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
You do realize that absolutely everyone has the same idea as you do? And a lot of much wealthier people are going to already have driven up the stock price via secondary market activity.

Oct 20, 2005
I started moving all the excess cash I have into my stock account.

I am gonna put all my cash in for the first day when it goes live and then sell at the end of the day. What are you guys planning to do??

Whatt strategies if any are you planning to employ.

While I believe each one of those companies stock would sky rocket the first day from the IPO to the close of day, you'll probably not see too much of the gain.

That is of course if those companies ever do go public.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
I am gonna hold the stock just for a day. I was able to buy LNKD in the mornng at 87. I only wanted to try it out so didnt buy more than a few shares.

This time I am gonna jump in early in the morning and sell it off end of day.

My friend at zynga was telling me that there are definitely signs that zynga is moving forward to a IPO real soon [in weeks]

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
While I believe each one of those companies stock would sky rocket the first day from the IPO to the close of day, you'll probably not see too much of the gain.

That is of course if those companies ever do go public.

Hi Schiffty. I made a nice per stock gain when LNKD went live in the morning. sold it at 111 or something in the afternoon. I didnt have a lot of cash in my acct that day, but I am planning to replicate it for the next three IPO's this year.

Zynga has a good revenu stream
FB - They are making billions now
Twitter - not sure
Groupon - I am not very optimistic.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Don't need to buy in at the IPO price to make money. Linkedin IPO price was $45. Opening price was $83. If you got in at $83 and sold at $120 later that day, still some nice change.

OP - why put money in your stock account now? The IPO has not even been announced and when it does, won't occur for a while later.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Hi Schiffty. I made a nice per stock gain when LNKD went live in the morning. sold it at 111 or something in the afternoon. I didnt have a lot of cash in my acct that day, but I am planning to replicate it for the next three IPO's this year.

Zynga has a good revenu stream
FB - They are making billions now
Twitter - not sure
Groupon - I am not very optimistic.

groupon has more upside than zynga.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
groupon has more upside than zynga.

Richie, you think so. I mean the deal a day is getting crowded. FB is doing the same, as with amazon, google and woot.

I am not sure if groupon has staying power in the long run. for th first day, oh yeah :p

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Don't need to buy in at the IPO price to make money. Linkedin IPO price was $45. Opening price was $83. If you got in at $83 and sold at $120 later that day, still some nice change.

OP - why put money in your stock account now? The IPO has not even been announced and when it does, won't occur for a while later.

Capt. I am just moving it in coz I forgot to do it for LNKD and I was busy at work and forgot to put in a early buy order. So I didnt have the cash to buy a lot more stock, I dont want that to happen this yr. :)

what about you. are u going long on any of the IPO's?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Capt. I am just moving it in coz I forgot to do it for LNKD and I was busy at work and forgot to put in a early buy order. So I didnt have the cash to buy a lot more stock, I dont want that to happen this yr. :)

what about you. are u going long on any of the IPO's?

That makes sense, I missed out on Lnkd also. I got in on Visa's IPO at $40. Sold some but still holding on most of it. Different animal compared to these companies and I would not hold onto these for the long-haul and would just take part in the pump and dump of the IPO.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
That makes sense, I missed out on Lnkd also. I got in on Visa's IPO at $40. Sold some but still holding on most of it. Different animal compared to these companies and I would not hold onto these for the long-haul and would just take part in the pump and dump of the IPO.

Totally agree. VISA / Mastercard have no peers. I wish I got in then, but i was scared of getting into the stock market then. With the WEB 2.0 companies, some of them atleast have a decent revenu stream and good market penetration. so hopefully unlike the 2000 IPO's

with regard to Visa, looks like you got in at the perfect time. 40 seems to the lowest it ever went. Good call.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Richie, you think so. I mean the deal a day is getting crowded. FB is doing the same, as with amazon, google and woot.

I am not sure if groupon has staying power in the long run. for th first day, oh yeah :p

Yes that is my opinion. To provide more back ground I worked at LinkedIn for the last 3 years and have friends who work at all of the companies you've listed in the title. We'll see what happens.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
It's here: Groupon files for hotly anticipated IPO

NEW YORK—Fast-growing daily deal site Groupon Inc. on Thursday filed go public, the first step what will be one of the year's most hotly anticipated initial public offerings.

Groupon estimated it would raise $750 million from new investors when it goes public, confirming weeks of speculation. It said it hadn't decided how many shares to offer or how to price them.

The filing also gives the first peek at Groupon's finances. The company has grown to $645 million in revenue in the first quarter from just $3.3 million in the same quarter two years ago, though it has sacrificed profits in the name of growth. Groupon now has 83 million subscribers.

Groupon's move follows an IPO last month by social-networking site LinkedIn Corp. that valued that company at $9 billion by the end of its first day of trading.

The company offers its subscribers the chance to purchase daily discounts targeted to their city and preferences. For example, a subscriber might pay $20 for a $40 gift certificate to a spa, restaurant, car wash or yoga studio.