Facebook removes some Trump ads

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Well, well, well, will wonders never cease. About time. Didn't think they'd ever do it.

"Facebook said it will remove ads from President Donald Trump that invoked the U.S. Census when directing people to his reelection campaign's website, saying they violated policies against causing confusion about the nationwide count".

"The ads in question urged people to complete an "Official 2020 Congressional District Census" to help "defeat the Democrats and the FAKE NEWS." The ad linked to a survey on the Trump campaign's website that asked people about their political views on issues like immigration, military spending and the economy, before ultimately asking them to donate money to the campaign."

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Half-expecting Trump and Republican lawmakers to make false cries of "censorship!" and to demand an order or law forcing Facebook to carry the ads.

Reactions: tweaker2

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Half-expecting Trump and Republican lawmakers to make false cries of "censorship!" and to demand an order or law forcing Facebook to carry the ads.

Wouldn't doubt it for a minute.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I havent looked at my Facebook account in about 5 years. I havent posted in 8 years.
Even so, it bugs me so many Americans might actually be getting their political information from such a horrible place. So I dont care if some Trump ads are banned. Whats worse is the general ignorance that spreads between users and doesnt come from ads.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I havent looked at my Facebook account in about 5 years. I havent posted in 8 years.
Even so, it bugs me so many Americans might actually be getting their political information from such a horrible place. So I dont care if some Trump ads are banned. Whats worse is the general ignorance that spreads between users and doesnt come from ads.

Facebook has done to our parents what they told us video games would do.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Guys unless Trump came to your house, unlocked your phone, and clicked on the ad himself he's not responsible okay?

EDIT: Maybe i should have put the /s in my post? :D

From a mod:
Godwin's Law (sic?) notwithstanding, Trump IS responsible for activating the primitive hate and poor behavior of his followers, from which he has benefited!

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Guys unless Trump came to your house, unlocked your phone, and clicked on the ad himself he's not responsible okay?
Yeah, and Adolf never personally raised a hand against any Jew, so I guess he wasn't responsible either, amIrite? :rolleyes:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What strikes me about this bait-and-switch scam they were trying to run, is that it is exactly like those phone scammers that rely on you calling a random number that popped up on your desktop, telling you that "Your Computer has a Virus! Call this number!" where you call, give them access to your system by going to "fixmycomputer.com." And then the payment: I would not be surprised if the Trump ad instructed their marks to go to some drugstore to purchase some Google Play gift cards or whatever, 100 bucks each, to then use those codes to donate to MAGA.

And of course, they are targeting the exact same demographic of people in both scams. There is absolutely no mistaking the Trump campaign's improper and intentional invoking of the census in this ad.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Facebook has done to our parents what they told us video games would do.

So true. The combination of social media and aging boomer brains is having quite the detrimental effect. Not just for white people either—this is what my mom shared recently as prevention for Coronavirus:
973486859c61261ac2f20d8736f0fc83.jpg

“No Mom, I haven’t started taking arsenic album today”

• Wow
Reactions: ch33zw1z

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So true. The combination of social media and aging boomer brains is having quite the detrimental effect. Not just for white people either—this is what my mom shared recently as prevention for Coronavirus:
973486859c61261ac2f20d8736f0fc83.jpg

“No Mom, I haven’t started taking arsenic album today”
You should have her ask herself why a faculty member from a Chinese university would be texting her to sell her something.