Facebook removes 22 more pages connected to conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and InfoWars

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
It's about time. These nutjobs have dozens and dozens of ghost pages. And when those are removed, they just convince their sheep to post their videos and links to their bullshit.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/05/medi...IkjHec-EfKawWtpEclwSfve010-y-Z4qCsi7b94u2x4JY

Facebook on Tuesday removed 22 pages connected to conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and his fringe right-wing website InfoWars.

The move came as part of a broader effort by Facebook to enforce its recently updated recidivism policy. 89 pages in total were unpublished on Tuesday afternoon as part of the crackdown, a Facebook spokesperson told CNN Business.
"We use a broad set of signals to determine if a Page violates our recidivism policy and determined these Pages violated our policy for reasons including having similar titles to the Pages we unpublished and having the same admins," the Facebook spokesperson said.

Facebook had removed four pages associated with Jones and InfoWars in August 2018, saying that the pages had violated its policies against hate speech, graphic violence, and bullying.
I
n late January, Facebook announced it had tightened its recidivism policy, aiming to prevent repeat offenders from using other pages they manage to continue behavior that violates the social media company's rules.

"We've long prohibited people from creating new Pages, groups, events, or accounts that look similar to those we've previously removed for violating our Community Standards," Facebookexplained in a January 23 blog post. "However, we've seen people working to get around our enforcement by using existing Pages that they already manage for the same purpose as the Page we removed for violating our standards."

"To address this gap, when we remove a Page or group for violating our policies, we may now also remove other Pages and Groups even if that specific Page or Group has not met the threshold to be unpublished on its own," Facebook's announcement added.

The company said at the time it would begin "enforcing this policy in the weeks ahead."

One of the pages managed by Jones that was unpublished Tuesday was a page called NewsWars, which amassed more than 30,000 followers before it was taken down.

The Facebook spokesperson said on Tuesday that the company had not removed Jones' personal profile from the website.

"When we enforce our recidivism policy against Pages, the admins can still maintain their profiles on Facebook but are no longer able to create and use a Page akin to one we've removed," the spokesperson explained.

Jan 25, 2011
Typical response. Independent company exercises cotrol over their own medium. Whiney bitch fan boi cries about being silenced.

If only Alex Jones had his own site. A site where he could post whatever he wants and not have to abide by another companies terms of use. One he could exert his own editorial control over...

If only.

Mar 11, 2004
Typical response. Independent company exercises cotrol over their own medium. Whiney bitch fan boi cries about being silenced.

If only Alex Jones had his own site. A site where he could post whatever he wants and not have to abide by another companies terms of use. One he could exert his own editorial control over...

If only.

There's no point to trying to explain it to them. They already know, and are just incapable of understanding. Plus, like is this a publicly traded company? That means its public, therefore its government infringement of his Freedom of Speech!!!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's highly amusing when Righties demand Facebook be treated as a public utility while the GOP argues in court that ISP's shouldn't be treated as such.

Alex Jones? I hope the Sandy Hook families & his ex-wife make him squeal like a pig.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Alex Jones? I hope the Sandy Hook families & his ex-wife make him squeal like the pig he is.

Improved. :)

It's interesting seeing people with conservative/libertarian leanings whining about a business telling them that they're not welcome there because of their conduct. I wonder if they also think that it's OK to go in to a restaurant, drop trou, crap all over the salad bar and not expect to be thrown out.

Because that's what happens when Alex Jones drops in to any establishment.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Too little too late and too little.
FB has way too much power.

FB defines it's own TOS. Their failure to enforce the rules laid out in their TOS for a long time is why people think they're being targeted when violating TOS.

I'll admit, enforcing the TOS for a venue that big must be challenging. You either pay many people to babysit the websites, or create algorithms for data processing machines to flag potential violations.

None of this changes the fact that our free speech is not being violated when a being "silenced" on FB. Alex Jones is still a free man, he's free to stand on a street corner and yell, he's not jailed for his bullshit conspiracy theories, or selling tainted supplements, etc...

It's still amazes me that free market conservatives haven't just started their own websites. They can define they're own TOS, kick out the libtards, etc..

Reactions: DarthKyrie

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
FB defines it's own TOS. Their failure to enforce the rules laid out in their TOS for a long time is why people think they're being targeted when violating TOS.

I'll admit, enforcing the TOS for a venue that big must be challenging. You either pay many people to babysit the websites, or create algorithms for data processing machines to flag potential violations.

None of this changes the fact that our free speech is not being violated when a being "silenced" on FB. Alex Jones is still a free man, he's free to stand on a street corner and yell, he's not jailed for his bullshit conspiracy theories, or selling tainted supplements, etc...

It's still amazes me that free market conservatives haven't just started their own websites. They can define they're own TOS, kick out the libtards, etc..

Society changes and when an entity springs out of the turbulence that is progress and innovation - that coincidentally has the power to define the path forward for our democracy, I think we all should have a say in what that TOS should say...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Alex Jones can put up his own platform or, you know, actually enforce his own forum policies that will ban anyone that disagrees with him.

put up or shut up, dickbag.

Literally all he'd need to do is set up a server with some forum software. Done.