Facebook removes 22 more pages connected to conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and InfoWars

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Wut? So listening to his show makes people serial killers? I've listened to his show some and mostly just found it funny. It's obviously a bit. If those people were infowars listeners then it was a coincidence not the reason they became murderers.

Not exactly. What you see as "just a bit" is believed to be truth by some. Jones doesn't bill himself as a comedian & he knows it's all as bogus as his supplements. That & a lot of stuff like it are a huge problem for this country & for all of us.

Jones is an assault on common decency & mutual respect. Poisonous.

But so is Trump, & he's President. Go figure.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Wut? So listening to his show makes people serial killers? I've listened to his show some and mostly just found it funny. It's obviously a bit. If those people were infowars listeners then it was a coincidence not the reason they became murderers.

Immaterial to the discussion at hand. Alex Jones does not have the right to force any private entity to carry his message.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Not exactly. What you see as "just a bit" is believed to be truth by some. Jones doesn't bill himself as a comedian & he knows it's all as bogus as his supplements. That & a lot of stuff like it are a huge problem for this country & for all of us.

Jones is an assault on common decency & mutual respect. Poisonous.

But so is Trump, & he's President. Go figure.

It’s just duhversion from the subject of the thread.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It’s just duhversion from the subject of the thread.

It's not exactly that, either. Facebook initially dumped some Jones pages for promulgating hate speech, that poison I mentioned. When he just carried it to other pages Facebook decided that the boy don't learn, that enough was enough so they fucked him, which was their right in the first place.

If the Sandy Hook families take Jones for all he's worth & shut down Infowars I'll call it Justice for all the hate & lies he's spread.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Immaterial to the discussion at hand. Alex Jones does not have the right to force any private entity to carry his message.

I think OFT is responding directly to what a few of us said re: Alex Jones being a bit like a cult leader, likely culpable in the actions of his brainwashed followers, and not the main topic of the thread. I think his response is fair.

Unlike OFT, it seems that there are indeed a number of people that listen to this Alex Jones moron and believe every word he says as the literal truth--these people actually exist. While OFT may be able to see the bit, and is aware of it, it is itself immaterial to the fact that many of fans do not. After all: not everyone in Jonestown drank the Flavor-aid. And many left the cult before they moved to Guyana, or wherever it was.

The Heaven's Gate cult is actually pretty widespread, and astonishingly still exists today. It was only that one chapter (in Colorado, I think?) that suicided themselves to ride the comet.

But, what really matters, is that this Alex Jones guy has captured the brains of enough sociopaths to constitute a legitimate threat to the safety of other humans--all of them completely innocent. Hell, Rush Limbaugh admits that he's an entertainer that just makes up shit to keep his audience listening--but what percentage of them actually believe that he is reporting news to them, and providing honest commentary? I mean--the guy outright tells you he's a fraud, but these people don't care. It doesn't matter how many "get it." The people that matter are always the ones that don't, and then start threatening and killing people. You don't excuse the messenger for feeding this kind of nonsense, simply because he may be all "oblivious as to why anyone would believe me!"

Mar 11, 2004
Ah yes, I see they trotted out the old "why are ISPs different from social media platforms" because they're willfully ignorant, but as has been constantly explained to them, ISPs/telecoms were granted special privileges by the government in exchange for abiding by government regulations. Social media platforms did not receive that. And when operating as ISPs, Google and Facebook have to abide by government regulations. Its a completely different situation.

I think OFT is responding directly to what a few of us said re: Alex Jones being a bit like a cult leader, likely culpable in the actions of his brainwashed followers, and not the main topic of the thread. I think his response is fair.

Unlike OFT, it seems that there are indeed a number of people that listen to this Alex Jones moron and believe every word he says as the literal truth--these people actually exist. While OFT may be able to see the bit, and is aware of it, it is itself immaterial to the fact that many of fans do not. After all: not everyone in Jonestown drank the Flavor-aid. And many left the cult before they moved to Guyana, or wherever it was.

The Heaven's Gate cult is actually pretty widespread, and astonishingly still exists today. It was only that one chapter (in Colorado, I think?) that suicided themselves to ride the comet.

But, what really matters, is that this Alex Jones guy has captured the brains of enough sociopaths to constitute a legitimate threat to the safety of other humans--all of them completely innocent. Hell, Rush Limbaugh admits that he's an entertainer that just makes up shit to keep his audience listening--but what percentage of them actually believe that he is reporting news to them, and providing honest commentary? I mean--the guy outright tells you he's a fraud, but these people don't care. It doesn't matter how many "get it." The people that matter are always the ones that don't, and then start threatening and killing people. You don't excuse the messenger for feeding this kind of nonsense, simply because he may be all "oblivious as to why anyone would believe me!"

I think you're mixing up cults. Heaven's Gate is pretty much dead (I think they might technically have a few members left, but its nothing major, and I'm pretty sure they were in California, maybe San Diego area; maybe you're mixing them up with Children of God, but I don't think they had a big suicidal thing, and they rebranded a bunch of times and now I think are "The Family International" and have been hiding out in Canada after being in several places in the US). There's so many cults you could be talking about and they kinda blur together a lot.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
So it is ok to be denied if you are gay and want a cake.. but not ok if you want a platform to peddle lies and etc..

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
So it is ok to be denied if you are gay and want a cake.. but not ok if you want a platform to peddle lies and etc..

I had a thought a little while ago which has been proven true time and time again. Republicans are concerned about things people do that affect nobody else, while Democrats are concerned about things people do that affect others.