Facebook monitors your chats for criminal activity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
whats the point? real criminals would use code anyway
You might think so but most criminals are of questionable intelligence and education. This is partly why they have resorted to criminality. The number of people being caught for posting things on facebook in the wide open are reaching massive numbers. Smart criminals, you're right, they would use some other means, but there are so many idiot criminals that facebook is like a pile of sh*t to their dung beetle, and they go there and just post all of the idiocy for police to use against them. I read recently about a gang on facebook. A cop asked to be one the friends list of one guy (who didn't know him) and got accepted and then simply watched them over the next several weeks posting information about their criminal behavior, before he nabbed the lot of them. Fvcking stupid idiots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-police-friended-Facebook--posted-crimes.html

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
You might think so but most criminals are of questionable intelligence and education. This is partly why they have resorted to criminality. The number of people being caught for posting things on facebook in the wide open are reaching massive numbers. Smart criminals, you're right, they would use some other means, but there are so many idiot criminals that facebook is like a pile of sh*t to their dung beetle, and they go there and just post all of the idiocy for police to use against them. I read recently about a gang on facebook. A cop asked to be one the friends list of one guy (who didn't know him) and got accepted and then simply watched them over the next several weeks posting information about their criminal behavior, before he nabbed the lot of them. Fvcking stupid idiots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-police-friended-Facebook--posted-crimes.html

heh, i meant the smarter ones. those you described are like the white drug dealers in the wire. the cops complain how stupid they are after taking down the stringer bell group.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
to me, it seems that anyone who posts regularly to facebook is just a feakin loser. its always the same "hey look at my dumb life!" crap. its just for attention seekers.

the only ones i really understand are housewives with new children. they dont have much else to do, and they want to share their pics of the babies. i get that. otherwise, please go outside and share photos with people who actually spend the time to be around you.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
You're typing messages that get saved to a remote database that you don't control. Of course it's possible for it to be shown to law enforcement officials. How could this possibly be a revelation to anyone?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
to me, it seems that anyone who posts regularly to facebook is just a feakin loser. its always the same "hey look at my dumb life!" crap. its just for attention seekers.

the only ones i really understand are housewives with new children. they dont have much else to do, and they want to share their pics of the babies. i get that. otherwise, please go outside and share photos with people who actually spend the time to be around you.

It's actually used by tons of military too, to keep in contact with family.

How does that work with other languages than English?

Pretty sure they watch that too.