Facebook is full of poop, again, another "duh" moment, but its nice to see evidence.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Getting that reference might clue people in that you are old, though it must be said that there is a lot of retro-80s knowledge in the younger set (they have shocked me at times)

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Getting that reference might clue people in that you are old, though it must be said that there is a lot of retro-80s knowledge in the younger set (they have shocked me at times)

I am older.

Many younger ones appear to lack an ability to analyze events and facts, demand instant gratification and reject different opinions with haughty resentment.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Well, there was Stranger Things, and the whole vaporwave aesthetic, on top of the typical thing where kids look to the past and idolize it. Add on the fact that Hollywood has just been remaking and rebooting everything for nigh-on twenty years now...

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well, there was Stranger Things, and the whole vaporwave aesthetic, on top of the typical thing where kids look to the past and idolize it. Add on the fact that Hollywood has just been remaking and rebooting everything for nigh-on twenty years now...
What will they do when they run out of comic strip characters?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I am older.

Many younger ones appear to lack an ability to analyze events and facts, demand instant gratification and reject different opinions with haughty resentment.
BUT... are you old enough to remember that every generation denigrates the ones who come after them with this kind of statement? ;)

Reactions: Meghan54

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I dabbled in MySpace when it was still the main show. When Facebook was brand new and shiny, I swore I wasn't going to make an account.
That pledge lasted a few years, until my good friend's murder was announced and shared on facebook by his parents. Updates from his family were coming through it, so I signed up. That was April of 2009.

I had hardly used it for years, but I finally nuked whatever I could and deactivated the account in 2018. I've not missed it at all, too much toxicity and self-absorbed people on a daily basis.

While it was neat to be able to find and message folks I hadn't seen in years...the folks that I cared about keeping in touch with, I had other means of contact. A phone number, physical address, email address, etc.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
BUT... are you old enough to remember that every generation denigrates the ones who come after them with this kind of statement? ;)

This may come as a disappointment to you, but I focus on the positive.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Nakedfrog hinted that an earlier post might of mine clue people in that I might be older.

I am older.

But I know how to play nice in sandbox.

Calling people childish names is for the immature.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This may come as a disappointment to you, but I focus on the positive.
he's not asking that.
he asked if you know that a large chunk of any given generation tends to insult the other generations.
the exception being the world war 2 generation which was too classy and well-behaved.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Well, I am from the older generation. And this is supposed to be a proper and above-board discussion forum.

I don't play culture games.

I'd rather discuss issues with mature, intelligent and reasonable individuals.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
he's not asking that.
he asked if you know that a large chunk of any given generation tends to insult the other generations.
the exception being the world war 2 generation which was too classy and well-behaved.
<snort> The WWII generation called the Boomers every name in the book. If the Boomers were against the Vietnam War, they were hippie communist freaks. If they fought in the Vietnam war, they were losers.

Reactions: hal2kilo

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, I am from the older generation. And this is supposed to be a proper and above-board discussion forum.

I don't play culture games.

I'd rather discuss issues with mature, intelligent and reasonable individuals.
WHAT OLDER GENERATION!???!!

Theres 5 generations alive right now! We dont know who you are!!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Since one of the premises of upcoming actions against Facebook is algorithms spreading misinformation why can't we go after broadcast news for spreading known lies?

Do I even have to name them?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
he's not asking that.
It was the WW2 generation shitting on the hippy generation.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/10/22/facebook-new-whistleblower-complaint/?tid=ss_tw

New whistleblower claims Facebook allowed hate, illegal activity to go unchecked

Latest complaint to the SEC blames top leadership for failing to warn investors about serious problems at the company

As the company sought to quell the political controversy during a critical period in 2017, Facebook communications official Tucker Bounds allegedly said, according to the affidavit, “It will be a flash in the pan. Some legislators will get pissy. And then in a few weeks they will move onto something else. Meanwhile we are printing money in the basement, and we are fine.”

The whistleblower told The Post of an occasion in which Facebook’s Public Policy team, led by former Bush administration official Joel Kaplan, defended a “white list” that exempted Trump-aligned Breitbart News, run then by former White House strategist Stephen K. Bannon, and other select publishers from Facebook’s ordinary rules against spreading false news reports.

When a person in the video conference questioned this policy, Kaplan, the vice president of global policy, responded by saying, “Do you want to start a fight with Steve Bannon?” according to the whistleblower in The Post interview.

he whistleblower complaint also criticized Facebook for not being aggressive enough in addressing evidence that the platform was being used by military officials in Myanmar to spread hate speech during mass killings of the minority Rohingya ethnic group. Investigations have found that hate speech flowed heavily on Facebook, and the company has acknowledged that it failed to act swiftly enough to prevent the platform from helping “incite offline violence” in Myanmar.

In the most anguished line in the affidavit, the whistleblower wrote that many within the company had not done enough. “I, working for Facebook, had been a party to genocide.”

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
When was the last time a so-called "whistleblower" got the red carpet treatment from politicians and the establishment media? Something is off here.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
When was the last time a so-called "whistleblower" got the red carpet treatment from politicians and the establishment media? Something is off here.

What about the Pentagon Papers level leak of inertial communications and research she took out of the company that back up her assertions? Facebook has not once disputed that these are their materials.