Facebook is full of poop, again, another "duh" moment, but its nice to see evidence.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Nah, use Facebook, but block all the ads and intentionally don't use it like they want (you can basically block the News Feed for instance). Upload shitloads of worthless videos (seriously, just record walls and other random shit). Cost Facebook money while providing them no outlet to make any off of you. Post nonsensical shit that deliberately fucks up any tracking and other shit that they sell so that it actively poisons efforts to utilize that for marketing and other crap.

If you really want to fuck things up, seek out the Russian honey pot groups and others that are looking to exploit people, then mimick them but better to outdo them, then out their sorry asses and the moronic right wingers getting duped by them. If you feel guilty, donate all the money you make from it (and you can make money from it) to charitable causes.

Oh, and something every guy should do, create a fake young woman's profile and see the types of messages you get. Doesn't even need to be a "hot" one and you don't even need to go out of your way to entice it either. I guarantee it'll be eye opening in ways you can't even begin to imagine. I can almost guarantee you'll catch someone you know sending incredibly fucked up messages that will make you realize you don't know jack shit about anyone. Basically every woman I've talked to has shown me the almost weekly (some get multiple ones daily) messages that will change how you see the world.
Going evil likely is more harmful then good.

If your going to try and actively harm face book, your better off arranging fake dates with fake profiles.

If you can get the guys to do an expensive restaurant for their first date it is better. Message and tell them your running late and they should order for you, along with some nice wine.

By the time they wise up, they will be halfway through their meal.

Yea, it is a short term hurt to their pocketbook, but it is an important life lesson about trusting Facebook in the long term.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What I find most odd about FB is that people will share many of the most intimate details of their lives there, and then complain about a lack of privacy. That's what you signed up for!

But the larger issue is what the thread topic is about. Which is that FB is knowingly seeding division, conflict, and mistrust among Americans purely to drive engagement and thus advertising revenue. All of FB management is just a bigger, wealthier, and more powerful Alex Jones.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Someone apparently decided there would be no Facebook or Instagram in many parts of the U.S. today.

Kind of surprising.

Reactions: Burpo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
What happened? They get deluged with hate e-mails after people watched 60 Minutes last night and their POP server just shut down?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Going evil likely is more harmful then good.

If your going to try and actively harm face book, your better off arranging fake dates with fake profiles.

If you can get the guys to do an expensive restaurant for their first date it is better. Message and tell them your running late and they should order for you, along with some nice wine.

By the time they wise up, they will be halfway through their meal.

Yea, it is a short term hurt to their pocketbook, but it is an important life lesson about trusting Facebook in the long term.
Newer signed up, only owned the stock since IPO. Sold at my target of $240 a few months back, missed about 3K in possible more gains, but it's now lower than my target. F that alien. His shit is what is accelerating the destruction of not only this country, but humanity in general.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
gram is up. guess that's the big money maker nowadays.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Facebook continues to be pummeled in the press today.

Instagram's algorithm promotes extreme dieting and pro eating disorder accounts to young teenage girls.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and dawp

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Instagram's algorithm promotes extreme dieting and pro eating disorder accounts to young teenage girls.

again, this is something which does not surprise me yet its nice to see the evidence.

Reactions: Pohemi

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
fPhx9On.png

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

why am I not surprised?

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
So what's the deal with the FB whistleblower? FB and Instagram content affects kids emotions or some such crap? Seems to me the ex FB employee is not very credible. Congress now wants more regulation of social media for what purpose I'm not sure. People get depressed when it's cloudy. We should do something about that.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So what's the deal with the FB whistleblower? FB and Instagram content affects kids emotions or some such crap? Seems to me the ex FB employee is not very credible. Congress now wants more regulation of social media for what purpose I'm not sure. People get depressed when it's cloudy. We should do something about that.

I would say see above about what they're advertising and who to.

It's the same shit big tobacco used to do, and big gubbermints squashed that also

Reactions: Pohemi and Zorba

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Never signed up, could see the cesspool off in the distance.
I was never a college student desperately seeking the affirmation of strangers. Original concept. Oh but they figured out how to manipulate the shit out of you fools.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I was never a college student desperately seeking the affirmation of strangers. Original concept. Oh but they figured out how to manipulate the shit out of you fools.
I guess that's one way of looking at it, I originally joined because Classmates.com wanted money, but FB was free, so I could catch up with friends from high school that way (we went to a military high school overseas that's now closed, so we're kinda far flung). I don't have any strangers on my friend list.

Reactions: Lezunto

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why don't you find her credible? Think anyone making public internal documents will remain an employee?

Even Facebook wants regulation on them although I don't necessarily understand their logic. If Congress mandates FB do X, why can't FB just do X.

My guess they knew Congress was going to regulate anyway and this position is strictly PR.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I originally joined to stay in touch with friends and relatives nowhere near me (many in other countries, how unamerican of me).

If I was pushing music gigs for myself, I'd pretty much be obligated to use it, as pretty much every band and musician knows...it's where people expect to see this kind of thing. At least in that case I'd stay in that professional box.

I left for several reasons, not least was the stressful effect that checking it was having on me. One little side benefit is that I'm less likely to know just how stupid people I know are...people like coworkers and friends of friends, fellow soccer parents, etc. Ignorance is bliss. I gave my real friends other contact info and removed everyone from my friends list to get rid of the temptation to return.

Asking Facebook to change is like expecting wolves to go after lettuce. It's an app designed from the ground up to prey on human weakness and exploit privacy, and make shit-tons of money doing it. The only way to win is not to play.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I originally joined to stay in touch with friends and relatives nowhere near me (many in other countries, how unamerican of me).

If I was pushing music gigs for myself, I'd pretty much be obligated to use it, as pretty much every band and musician knows...it's where people expect to see this kind of thing. At least in that case I'd stay in that professional box.

I left for several reasons, not least was the stressful effect that checking it was having on me. One little side benefit is that I'm less likely to know just how stupid people I know are...people like coworkers and friends of friends, fellow soccer parents, etc. Ignorance is bliss. I gave my real friends other contact info and removed everyone from my friends list to get rid of the temptation to return.

Asking Facebook to change is like expecting wolves to go after lettuce. It's an app designed from the ground up to prey on human weakness and exploit privacy, and make shit-tons of money doing it. The only way to win is not to play.
Yes Joshua

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
One my late friends convinced me to join FB years ago. The first thing I noticed is that folks from my childhood had been looking for me for close to 40 years just to say hello and stay in touch.

I was happily surprised.

Sure, there are lot of bad things about Social Media. But since I'm not swayed by popular opinion, unafraid to take on bullies. I ignore the malcontents, the liars and the childish. Of which there are many on FB.

FB is not perfect and Mark Zuckerberg has quickly morphed into an enemy of truth, facts and common sense. The guy is running a for- profit business. I'm glad FB is around.

Even though I author controversial posts and create funny memes (unless you're a racist or a Republican), I've never been banned on FB.

I love politics, but not insecure or angry people. I detest those who get personal or just lie because they think it makes their arguments stronger. Such behavior never does.

But it's kinda fun. Just as news forums used to be.