News Facebook employees given access to hundreds of millions of users' passwords

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...s-stored-plain-text-could-searche/3233601002/

Just the latest example why I dumped them a year ago. If you have a Facebook account (especially if you use it to log into other sites), it might be a very good to change your password(s).
Citing an unnamed senior Facebook employee as the source, Krebs says the social network is probing the causes of a series of security failures in which employees built applications that logged the unencrypted password data, which apparently numbers between 200 million and 600 million.
"Storing passwords in clear text is a terrible idea because it would allow employees and potential attackers who steal this data to easily use these passwords and potentially log on to other, non-Facebook-related services as well because users often reuse passwords," Kirda added. "If this data leaks out, or a Facebook employee who has access to this data ends up becoming malicious, having this data lying around might lead to other, easy account compromises that are not directly hosted on Facebook.”

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
And that is one reason why I have never entered Facebook, and hopefully, never will. I personally avoid social media when possible. Putting personal info on a public bulletin board is something I will avoid.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
And that is one reason why I have never entered Facebook, and hopefully, never will. I personally avoid social media when possible. Putting personal info on a public bulletin board is something I will avoid.

I liked it because it was a way to reconnect with childhood friends, people I was stationed with, and family.

I hated it because of all the security concerns and breaches they always seemed to have, and during the 2016 election period (and after), it became almost like P&N here with people posting stuff and arguing politics. So last March, I said enough if is enough.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I liked it because it was a way to reconnect with childhood friends, people I was stationed with, and family.

I hated it because of all the security concerns and breaches they always seemed to have, and during the 2016 election period (and after), it became almost like P&N here with people posting stuff and arguing politics. So last March, I said enough if is enough.

Yep. It was cool when I was in college back in the early 2000's and you needed a .edu email to open an account. Since then, too mainstream.

Reactions: UsandThem

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
At this point anyone who uses facebook pretty much deserves whatever happens.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I really don't know why people use facebook. The user interface is arguably the worst in the world.

I only use it for commenting on internet, nothing else.

All the info I put on Facebook are fake so even if it got stolen I couldn't care less.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have never used it and never will. Why put personal data in a public place?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I find it amusing that Facebook is now pushing for more government privacy protections.

At first it seemed like a good idea... until I realized that he's just trying to add another barrier of entry for his competition. Facebook can afford an army of lawyers to deal with GDPR style privacy violation requests... a small startup cannot.