Facebook bans Trump from posting for remainder of his term in office

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Lol!!!! Oh this must hurt him sooo bad!! A narcissist without the ability to elicit praise from his millions of fans? Yeah he’ll be spiraling any minute now unless he can get Fox to give him an hour.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Back in the news….
So, FB will soon decide if Trump can return to FB. Any bets how this decision will go? The two sides, one being Donald Trump and the other side being Mark Zuckerberg, lots of money, the hit FB took when Trumpies left FB, and did I mention lots of money for Mark? Facebook will gladly invite and accept Donald Trump back onto the Facebook platform. They will invite Trump back along with his lies and his divisiveness and his promotion of THE BIG LIE. Yes, the same guy who single handed instigated an insurrection against the American government will gladly be allowed back on social media because why not? It’s not about a traitorous ex president, it’s all about the money. And…. the subscriptions.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Facebook? Lol who the fuck cares. The bubbles have already been divided and reinforced. Hopefully Twitter doesn’t follow suit.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
They'll probably let him back in to give him a second chance & he'll probably get banned again at some time if he's just going to continue spewing lies. When the legal battles go against Trumps interests FB may shut him down quickly.

Anything ever happen with his own platform he was going to create?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
They'll probably let him back in to give him a second chance & he'll probably get banned again at some time if he's just going to continue spewing lies. When the legal battles go against Trumps interests FB may shut him down quickly.

It’s up. Don’t forget to contribute.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Question for the room.

IF the insurrection had been successful, and the election had been overturned, does anyone here believe that Trump would've left after 4 years, the end of his 2nd term?

" Xing of China just declared himself President for Life. I should try that." – Donald Trump

Guess what? He did try it.

Reactions: Zorba

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I have not noticed even an iota of change in Trump's behavior, and certainly nothing to lift the ban. He is still pushing the stolen election BS hot and heavy. If facebook lifts the ban then they might as well admit it was not more than an empty public relations gesture in the first place.

If Trump gets back on FB my account will be deleted as a direct result.

Reactions: balloonshark

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Question for the room.

IF the insurrection had been successful, and the election had been overturned, does anyone here believe that Trump would've left after 4 years, the end of his 2nd term?

" Xing of China just declared himself President for Life. I should try that." – Donald Trump

Guess what? He did try it.

I don't know how it would've been successful... that would have involved not just the support of the military, but a majority of the public being happy with (or at least accepting) a blatantly unconstitutional and likely horrific even.

On the underlying question, though: I do think Trump would have tried to to stay in office longer than eight years. No guarantees he'd succeed, of course, but he'd try. Trump really did treat the presidency as if it were just another CEO role: he thought he could stay in charge as long as he wanted and demand absolute loyalty. It didn't even occur to him that the government was structured to (hopefully) serve the public good, not the leaders.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
It was a punt. They agreed to keep the ban. But demanded FB reexamine the ban 6 months from the initial ban. So basically threw it back into Zuck's face. You deal with it in a month.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
It was a punt. They agreed to keep the ban. But demanded FB reexamine the ban 6 months from the initial ban. So basically threw it back into Zuck's face. You deal with it in a month.

Like an inmate that shows no remorse for his crimes, the "parole board" denied his release.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

I read several articles about this and didn't see any mention that a reexamination
was required 6 months from the initial ban, only that a reexamination was needed within 6 months. To me that would mean 6 months from the date of the board's decision.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I read several articles about this and didn't see any mention that a reexamination
was required 6 months from the initial ban, only that a reexamination was needed within 6 months. To me that would mean 6 months from the date of the board's decision.
I was watching it in CNN and they said from initial ban.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Minor victory for America there.

A traitor and insurrectionist on your member list is not a good look.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

Yep .... The board said Facebook must reassess the penalty because it imposed it “indefinitely.” This is a cowardly punt. The whole purpose of the board is to review difficult decisions.

Now they come back with a ruling: “You can leave the ban in place for now, but the decision needs to be reviewed.” Motherfuckers! That's why they called you! The whole purpose of the board is to keep Zuckerberg’s finger prints off of a decision that will outrage half his customers either way. It’s a transparent dodge. And in this, they have failed. Their ruling is indecisive; they are handing it back and telling Zuck to make a final choice after more review.

Although ... If they leave it at “indefinitely”. That’s the perfect penalty for Trump; let him twist in the fucking wind like all the unfulfilled promises and lies he’s made over the years.

If inciting an insurrection to end the peaceful transition of power isn’t worth a perma-ban, what is?

Reactions: hal2kilo and Zorba

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
That’s amazing. Trump’s response to being deplatformed, his grand strategy to transcend the limitations on his media exposure, is… he launched a blog.

It sounds like someone figures that he can “evade” the Facebook/Twitter ban by having his loyalists post his words on those platforms for them and get the same exposure.

It may put Twitter in the awkward position of having to either filter everyone’s posts to strain out Trump’s dangerous drivel or they’ll have to filter out Trump’s fans. The former is technologically difficult and the latter will really piss off Twitters actual customers: the advertisers.

• Haha
Reactions: dawp

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I was watching it in CNN and they said from initial ban.

Ahhh... guess they've changed their tune now.

"Facebook has six months from today to decide Trump's fate."

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Why are they they dicking around with this? Just treat him like anyone else that violates their TOS. Less complicated that way.

The issue isn't so much about trump but about setting a precedent for future cases, especially with political users.

This explains it pretty well.