"Fable PC: Lost Chapters" 30 hours of play - WORTH IT!!!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
3/13 Fable II

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38154

a new doggy to love ... and screenshots
:heart:
------------------------

Update ... 2/21/07 - DONE

Love it!
==================

I *put off* playing this for SO long ... it seemed kinda *cutesy* and it kept falling to the bottom of my "to be played" games .... until Tron2.0 started SO slow, i fired it up and "got into it"

Well, damn if it isn't a very interesting game ... the little kid grows up and THIS TIME you get to choose EITHER good or bad ... which means it might be worth a replay

the story is interesting and so are the NPCs ... plus there is some *real humour* ... and NOT for kids

Unfortunately ... there seems to be a *cheat* ... since you can just save your "progress" you can return to a Quest over and over, artificially upping your stats

it is more FPS than RPG ... but RPG is definitely there ... i am picking mostly "magic" [will]

more updates as i progress ...

but i like it ... so far ... surprisingly ... DESPITE myself
======================================
[original post]

$9.99 at CC B&M this week ... so i picked it up.

there was also Rise of Nations [gold] and AoEII for the same price. ;)

since RTS is not 'my thing' ... [although i DID love B&W2 :p], i picked up Fable.

I understand it is an expanded 'remake' of the old Fable ... and criticism were that it was short and buggy....

so ... is it 'fixed' and is it "worth' $10?

and does it run on Win2k?

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Well, not sure if its worth $10 but I borrowed it from my friend. Its a pretty good game but yeah, it is short. Hmm...I think you should try to borrow it from someone instead of buy it. Or play it on Xbox at a friend's house or something.

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
It's an alright game. I'd say it's worth $10 considering I paid $50 new on Xbox when it came out. I put a good amount of time into but never finished it. Towards the end, I spent most of my playing time going into towns and slaughtering people to make my character look uber evil. :evil:

a123456

Oct 26, 2006
It's a pretty short game. I also thought it was okay. Not great, not bad. The story didn't really catch me.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Lost chapers the game or an expansion pack?

Also, this a western RPG or an eastern RPG?

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

Game. And I have no clue what are western/eastern RPGs?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

i'm asking the questions.
:evil:

huh?
:confused:

It is Fable: The Lost Chapters by LionHead, released Oct '05, i think
:light:

. . . . and afaik, it is an "expanded remake" of Fable

i am guessing it is in the style of DM M&M [action-adventure RPG]
[i just now got it ... so i could be worng]

since it's distributed by MS, i have to ask about Win2K :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
damn ... i can't even find a patch and MS's site is no help :p

unless someone can say for sure it will run OK on a mid range PC and Win2K, back it goes

i can use $10 ;)

They are working on Fable2
:Q

i know for damn sure i won't consider it if they don't support their current games. :|

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
why do you buy games, even if they are $10, if you don't know if you can run them? don't you read the boxes or check them out beforehand?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: pontifex
why do you buy games, even if they are $10, if you don't know if you can run them? don't you read the boxes or check them out beforehand?

of course i read the box ...

i probably can run it on Win2k as EVERY other game that says "XP only" runs on it :p

However, i didn't know much about Fable - other than reading - probably here - that it was 'short and buggy' ... i figured it would be patched by now

and since it was the LAST copy at CC, and since the box is UNopened, and since i pass CC on my way to and from work every day and i can easily return it [phew], i picked it up

so ... why do you post if you are just being critical without offering any useful info?

maybe we both have bad habits

:D

so unless anyone knows ...

... back it goes.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin

i probably can run it on Win2k as EVERY other game that says "XP only" runs on it :p

However, i didn't know much about Fable - other than reading - probably here - that it was 'short and buggy' ... i figured it would be patched by now

and since it was the LAST copy at CC, and since the box is UNopened, and since i pass CC on my way to and from work every day and i can easily return it [phew], i picked it up

so ... why do you post if you are just being critical without offering any useful info?

... back it goes.

wasn't being critical, just asking questions that i think most people would ask.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppin

... back it goes.

wasn't being critical, just asking questions that i think most people would ask.
i dunno, i was a bit 'stung' by the "don't you read the boxes or check them out beforehand?" :p

yeah ... sure ... and i bought it on 'impulse' in the HOPE it was both patched and ran on Win2K.
:eek:

and i was asking for 'help' ... :(

but it looks like [there isn't much info on the 'net ... people love it or hate it and it is not patched ... and i still don't know -- or care, now -- about Win2K ... back it goes.

i'll edit the title so people know about the other 2 'good' games.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Great game IMO. Can't believe it got so much bad reviews and comments. All of my friends that have played it have liked it a lot.

Probably not as good on PC since I'd prefer to use a controller. It is a action-adventure RPG.

Unsure about Win2k... but if it does run on it, I'd say keep it. $10 is an awesome deal. Again, I thought it was great. Somewhat short, but most games are.

Never encountered any noticeable bugs the time I played it on PC.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
thanks ... did you play it on PC or xbox?

the forums mention that the xbox version IS better with the controller ... and the 'added content' for PC is only a couple of hours.

i guess it all depends on if it runs on Win2K ;)

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
I'd hit it (for $10).

I enjoyed that game. I have it lying around here somewhere.

Edit:
*Reads the thread*

So...you bought it already?
Then play it.
And AFAIK, there is no patch at all for it (according to filefront), if that came up).

Me=Tired right now so sry if this post makes no sense at all :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
weird, it DID make sense, wizboy11 ... i guess i was asking if i should OPEN the box or return it

well ... after reading their forums ... it looks intriguing ;)

you get tatoos ... you can get married ... someone had 11 wives ... can even flirt with gay guys ... maybe more. :p

ANYway ... here is the Fable support forum:
[just like *ours* ... search is broken ... i read ~18 pages to find about Win2K] :(

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=browse_forum&f=23919

and evidently it DOES run on Win2K
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=view_thread&t=648803

i'll give it a try ... it's only ten dollars

i need a break from the boredom that is NWN2 ...

thanks for all your comments ...
:thumbsup:

... well most of 'em.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Here's a review from gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fablethelostchapters/review.html

Got an 8.6 (pretty good)
*quote*
The Good: Lively, beautifully envisioned gameworld is fun to explore; interesting, if slightly shallow, morality system causes your character to evolve; solid action and role-playing elements; outstanding presentation makes the game exciting to see and listen to; the lost chapters adds some great new quests, extending the storyline .

The Bad: Main quest is quite short and linear; combat system can be exploited, thanks to some overpowered spells; character interaction is shallow.
*/quote*

Good outweighs the bad, open box and play away :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: wizboy11
Here's a review from gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fablethelostchapters/review.html

Got an 8.6 (pretty good)
*quote*
The Good: Lively, beautifully envisioned gameworld is fun to explore; interesting, if slightly shallow, morality system causes your character to evolve; solid action and role-playing elements; outstanding presentation makes the game exciting to see and listen to; the lost chapters adds some great new quests, extending the storyline .

The Bad: Main quest is quite short and linear; combat system can be exploited, thanks to some overpowered spells; character interaction is shallow.
*/quote*

Good outweighs the bad, open box and play away :p

back to 'pop in ... with an update

Runs FINE on Win2K ... well on my rig ... anyway

so far, i *maxed* the details and run with 2xAA [first settings i tried] ... no slowdowns, but i am just getting started.

... apparently there is no 'anytime save' although there are slots to save your Hero's characteristics ... whatever that means.
:confused:

you start out as a little kid and get to 'choose' right away.

Graphics are OK ... some parts looks really nice ....

just the very barest of 'first impressions' ... knowing me, you'll probably get an update
:roll:
Its a great 'break' from NWN2 ... i wondered why my little Hero didn't run to the spot i clicked on the ground ... almost forgot about WASD.

not really :D

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Great, it does run on win2k (alot of games do). You seem to be into this type of game... I really liked it, I think you would have fun for the fairly short time the game is, but if you take your time... or replay it... easily worth $10!! In fact, wish I had a CC around here. You get alot of good games for cheap from them. I'd sure like HL2 Ep1 for $8 and Fable LC for $10!

I've played it on PC and Xbox (though IIRC I only played the original Fable on Xbox (only Lost Chapters came to PC), but most of the game is the same as LC). Again, I prefer Xbox because of the controller (specifically melee combat is best with it). The PC version has no controller support IIRC, but something like ControlMK or Pinnacle Game Profiler could emulate it.

Luthien

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2004
I think it is a good game and worth $10 and it isnt that short and yes the pc version is extended with content the xbox version doesnt have so it is longer. I enjoyed playing it a few times.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
I enjoyed it. Especially when my wife said that I was narty. That made me crack up.

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
Ha....I bought it at $29 just before it plummeted in price. Just one additional note.....native WS support. :)