F18 shot down

Sxotty

Apr 30, 2002
F18 seems to have been shot down, check BBC for info, but if true it is actually kinda bad, because up till now our jets were pretty much immune to the iraqi threat.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
One down 889 more refueling and ready to take its place.

They're really killing us out there.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I wonder if Iraq is finally using the loads of SAMs that they have? I know the air had been relatively free of SAMs, they'd mostly been using AAA. Now that we're making our move on Baghdad, I wonder if they're finally trying to make a last stand?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Marshallj
I wonder if Iraq is finally using the loads of SAMs that they have? I know the air had been relatively free of SAMs, they'd mostly been using AAA. Now that we're making our move on Baghdad, I wonder if they're finally trying to make a last stand?

From what I read over at yahoo, they reported that it was a SAM that shot it down. Or they are speculating.

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002
[sarcasm]wow, it's the END OF THE WORLD.... [/sarcasm]
It's only 1 single jet fighter that's been downed by the pitiful Iraqis the whole conflict yet. I'm sick of these reports of "1 plane was shot down today, 2 marines were shot today, 4 were infured yesteraday". People, we're fighting a freakin WAR! We've advanced so far in technology and tactics that we're still below 100 dead in 14+ days of conflict. That's probably the same amount in 2-3 hour of fighting in WWII and Vietnam (in average). Geez....., it's tragic that we lost $20 million jet and some courageous marines, but I'm seriously tired of CNN and other news making a big deal out of this. I'll start to worry when we're getting reports like this; "a whole squadron was taken down by Iraqi SAM, two platoon of marines were ambushed and all were killed, battlefield casualties in hundereds".

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: razor2025
It's only 1 single jet fighter that's been downed by the pitiful Iraqis the whole conflict yet. I'm sick of these reports of "1 plane was shot down today, 2 marines were shot today, 4 were infured yesteraday". People, we're fighting a freakin WAR! We've advanced so far in technology and tactics that we're still below 100 dead in 14+ days of conflict. That's probably the same amount in 2-3 hour of fighting in WWII and Vietnam (in average). Geez....., it's tragic that we lost $20 million jet and some courageous marines, but I'm seriously tired of CNN and other news making a big deal out of this. I'll start to worry when we're getting reports like this; "a whole squadron was taken down by Iraqi SAM, two platoon of marines were ambushed and all were killed, battlefield casualties in hundereds".

I think it's because we care about our soldiers -- one down is too many for me. We're not worried so much about the trend of the war -- we're worried about the person and hoping he/she will make it out okay.

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Originally posted by: StormRider

I think it's because we care about our soldiers -- one down is too many for me. We're not worried so much about the trend of the war -- we're worried about the person and hoping he/she will make it out okay.

And thats exactly what has been discussed as one of the US weakness. Cause enough casualties on the US sides, and they eventually have to withdraw because the public can't stomach it. We'll find out how true the statement is, if the war casualties reaches thousands of soldiers.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
It won't reach into the thousands. We just passed 50 and the country is about to go down. The toughest fights still lay ahead but it won't reach thousands.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: StormRider

Exactly.

That pilot is the brother/Son/Father or sister/Daughter/Mother of someone here in America.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
So? We're concerned- human nature- unless you're inhuman like Saddam and his cronies, who actually use their own population to hide behind.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
battlefield casualties in hundereds

Is hundereds an Iraqi town?

Actually they are saying the iraqi battlefield casualties are in the thouserands.

I was watching O'rielly, and on it they had just gotten an email from some service member in one of the Infantry Division. Anyways the guy said that just in their division alone, had defeated 10 iraqi divisions. 8 of them either deserted their location or surrendered, and only two put up a fight. The email went on saying that they had 10,000 kills, this is just one division. I think the division reported 6 of theirs were killed. 6 to 10,000 kills, that is a very impressive ratio. Of course, this could not have been accomplished without the support from the other branches of service, but I guess it's the Infantry Divisions responsibility to count.

KK

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
battlefield casualties in hundereds

Is hundereds an Iraqi town?

Actually they are saying the iraqi battlefield casualties are in the thouserands.

I was watching O'rielly, and on it they had just gotten an email from some service member in one of the Infantry Division. Anyways the guy said that just in their division alone, had defeated 10 iraqi divisions. 8 of them either deserted their location or surrendered, and only two put up a fight. The email went on saying that they had 10,000 kills, this is just one division. I think the division reported 6 of theirs were killed. 6 to 10,000 kills, that is a very impressive ratio. Of course, this could not have been accomplished without the support from the other branches of service, but I guess it's the Infantry Divisions responsibility to count.

KK
He was just playing with his new nightvision gameboy in a foxhole, silly.