F1 2012 demo avialable on steam.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
F1 2010 ruined it for me. Not sim-like enough IMO. Codemasters had enough access to data to make it more sim-like (and have an "arcade" option), but they didn't.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
F1 2010 ruined it for me. Not sim-like enough IMO. Codemasters had enough access to data to make it more sim-like (and have an "arcade" option), but they didn't.

Codemasters doesn't make sims. Or did they at one point, and I just don't realize it?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Codemasters doesn't make sims. Or did they at one point, and I just don't realize it?

Yes, I knew they didn't, but they tried to make it as if they did, and they even got Anthony Davidson (former Super Aguri/BAR F1 driver) to weigh in on the sim debate and he was positive about it, which is why I preordered....must have paid him handsomely. I learned my lesson.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
DL'd the demo. Is it just me, or does this game look bad.....I mean, REALLY bad. The demo reminded of something reminiscent of a F2P title.

After playing something like Shift2, this game looks like it belongs on a PS2.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
DL'd the demo. Is it just me, or does this game look bad.....I mean, REALLY bad. The demo reminded of something reminiscent of a F2P title.

After playing something like Shift2, this game looks like it belongs on a PS2.

Change your graphics settings/get your eyes checked?

F1 2010 and F1 2011 looked pretty good; I can't imagine they actually downgraded the graphics. I was actually just playing F1 2011 the other night. Took this screenshot.

To be fair though, Shift 2 Unleashed is still one of the best-looking racing games out there... so most games aren't going to compare favorably to it.

8B862CDBF04D5EFBB4B8B59A64500827FB9E8DE6

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
...get your eyes checked?

I've played a few games....I'm sure you have too. No need for insults.

I just found the game to be very ugly, with some pretty awful lighting and (lack) of attention to detail.

I was actually pretty surprised, since the other Codemasters games I've played the hell out of (GRID, DIRT series) look very nice by comparison.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I've played a few games....I'm sure you have too. No need for insults.

I just found the game to be very ugly, with some pretty awful lighting and (lack) of attention to detail.

I was actually pretty surprised, since the other Codemasters games I've played the hell out of (GRID, DIRT series) look very nice by comparison.

My apologies; I haven't played the 2012 demo for myself yet, so I can't exactly give an opinion on how the graphics look.

My question is though, how does it compare to F1 2010 and 2011? How, would you say, does it compare to the screenshot I posted above?

(I'm at work right now, I guess I could just wait an hour til I get home and see for myself. :p )

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
My apologies; I haven't played the 2012 demo for myself yet, so I can't exactly give an opinion on how the graphics look.

My question is though, how does it compare to F1 2010 and 2011? How, would you say, does it compare to the screenshot I posted above?

(I'm at work right now, I guess I could just wait an hour til I get home and see for myself. :p )

Since I haven't played 2011, I can only compare it to your screenshot, but the player hands in your screen look way better (looks like much higher poly count).

Maybe the demo isn't a full graphical representation of the actual game's capabilities, but your screenshot looks better than what I saw.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Finally downloaded and played the demo for a bit. I thought it was pretty good. I like how they really focus on teaching you how to drive at the beginning. It slowly walks you through the different aspects of driving an F1 racer, and it's really helpful. Maybe not so much for veterans of the previous games, but for someone starting out, it's great. I like racing games but F1 racing is a bit much for me... however, I definitely feel a bit more confident now.

I just used my Xbox 360 pad; I have a steering wheel sitting around, but my desk situation doesn't really allow for one right now. I'd love to play it with a proper wheel setup.

Graphically, the game looks good. Nothing amazing, but it's on par with 2010 and 2011... still very good-looking, and certainly no worse than the previous games. Saying that it "belongs on a PS2" is silly. Are you sure we're playing the same game?

1FC164739A35B28FCB197E8705A26DF7F50EA1AF

95BCC58DAEBC7B70D114156B7709AF784A4F6272

F99C45D2EDD18CB6414541F257E8B6A102B26C6E

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Graphically, the game looks good. Nothing amazing, but it's on par with 2010 and 2011... still very good-looking, and certainly no worse than the previous games. Saying that it "belongs on a PS2" is silly. Are you sure we're playing the same game?

Yeah....I was exaggerating a bit with the "PS2" comment, but I simply can't say this game looks "good." To me, it looks like they put as little effort as required into the game visually. Just look at the pavement, and compare it to something like Shift2, where they actually spent a little bit of time doing decal work.

Compare that something like this:
shifty1.jpg

shifty2.jpg

I would like to see the racing devs take some steps to get these games to the next level. Realistic damage physics, for one - - the technology is there, and it isn't too resource intensive to run with a typical high-end GPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppTmsNFneg

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Just what I figured:
"When you get on track, the driving is a little hit and miss – sometimes wandering into disappointing – especially so when you’re pushing the settings to be as authentic as possible. Understeer is a constant problem – the cars feel far too tight at speed with breathing the throttle making too small a difference. Conversely, oversteer barely exists – you can slam the accelerator on without ever feeling like you’ve pushed too much power to the rear as the wheels just refuse to spin. Generally, that back end is staying put unless you’re too aggressive on a kerb, the track’s especially slippery, or if you open the DRS mid corner like a berk. The cars are much more predictable than last year though, and I’d rather it be this way than the random snap-in oversteer that plagued 2011.

Feedback is lacking, unfortunately both through sound and through your wheel of choice. Tyres don’t make a noise when they’re near their limit or when they’re under heavy degradation, leaving you judging both by purely visual clues. It might sound like a minor complaint, but when games do these noises well, they make a big difference. Wheel feedback gets chaotic – on bumpy straights the on-screen wheel is jumping around, but the one in your hands is completely dead. Then, on some long fast curves like in Abu Dhabi, the wheel gets yanked to the side for no particular reason. For the most part, it’s fine if not exceptional, and the fault lies more with the physics not being there to be fed back and wrestled with.
"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/25/wot-i-think-f1-2012/

Seriously, how can something like rFactor have better physics when Codemaster must have much better access and a bigger budget. Does Codemasters spend all their time on making drivers look realistic rather than bringing proper physics. Sheesh. I'm so disappointed that Codemasters have that F1 license. :(