f**k microsoft and making me register! **UPDATE: MS Back in my good books**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< Let me guess... it's an academic version? >>

Nope. My uncle has a friend that works at MS. He was able to get me a bunch of stuff at 90%. I got:

Windows 2000 Pro
Windows 98 SE
Office 2000 Premium
Sidewinder Joystick
Age of Empires 2

As I said before, its all legal.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000

<< Nope. My uncle has a friend that works at MS. He was able to get me a bunch of stuff at 90%. I got: >>

sweet deal. i ran into the hardware activation once with office xp. a system admin reformatted her computer and had to call MS for permission to get it working again. The official IS department position is now to avoid xp like the plague.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< NO-- its' PRODUCT ACTIVATION >>

Tripleshot,

Gee, dumbass, exactly how does that work? It works by recording a profile of some of the HARDWARE in the system.

<< Do you deliberately come after me every time I post and attack me to try and make yourself look superior? >>

No, only when you make idiotic, stupid, uninformed posts. OOPS, that's pretty much every time you show up. I'll be happy to stop going "after you" as soon as you cease trying to pretend you know anything when, if fact, you're a clueless buffoon who's all huff and bluster and no brains.

Oh, and let me repeat your original moronic statement for those who don't read the whole thread:

<< I am unaware of a scheme that Msoft could use to identify your PC as being different from when you originally installed the product. >>

Nurse, send in the next loser.

Russ, NCNE

Gosh, Russ! There must be some traumatic event in your life that makes you so hostile and impudent toward most, if not virtually all, people. I'm waiting or that miraculous moment where you'll reason with people without attacks. :)

Stephan, ironically, I'm still trying to resolve whether to stick with my Office 97 or pick up the phone and register my new Office 2000. It's been a week since I've been battling with that. . . . I'm not sure I'm willing to submit to authoritarianism (as I view it). It just feels totally intrusive and controlling. Oh well, I have about 22 more tries left with Office 2000. I'll decide by this week. :) I"m glad you had yours resolved. :)

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
nothing here, I wouldn't know a thing about this reg-is-tration...

|
|
|
V

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< There must be some traumatic event in your life that makes you so hostile and impudent toward most, if not virtually all, people. >>

Luvly,

No traumatic events in my life. I simply believe it is dangerous to let blatant ignorance go unchallenged. The only people I am ever "hostile" toward are those who've earned it. I get along just fine with anyone who doesn't constantly act like an idiot.

Russ, NCNE

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Edit: If you run a "good customer service" company, then I have no probs here...keep up the good work.

You never know when you're gonna need good customer service/Tech Support from a fellow AT'er here...

Sir Fredrick

Oct 14, 1999

<<

<< There must be some traumatic event in your life that makes you so hostile and impudent toward most, if not virtually all, people. >>

Luvly,

No traumatic events in my life. I simply believe it is dangerous to let blatant ignorance go unchallenged. The only people I am ever "hostile" toward are those who've earned it. I get along just fine with anyone who doesn't constantly act like an idiot.

Russ, NCNE
>>

Russ owns and operates a company with some of the best customer service out there, he deals with idiots professionally, so I'm not surprised that he has very little patience when dealing with them here. ;)

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I have office 2k and I had to register it. I also got the same message you got many times - but I just called up MS and they fixed it for me :)