F@H slows down my HT machine while gaming.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Well! i figured out my FPS are a good 5-15FPS slower while playing Americas Army and i couldn't figure out why!?

Well as we know F@H takes a low priority so that other programs get first dibs on CPU resources, but with HT it seems as that one instance of the CLI F@H client keeps folding, which it fine, it shouldn't slow down my game which is taking priority over the other F@H process.

However i think (this is a big maybe) that the F@H process is using up valueable memory bandwidth while i'm gaming and thus slowing down my game.

Well tell me if you guys think that sounds right, because i kinda wanna know why F@H slows down my rig while gaming, its the 1st rig in sig. Also i just wanna let anyone out there know running 2 instances of the CLI client on a HT machine slows down gaming.

Aug 27, 2002
for any games that are memory/processor intensive, I shut down my seti client while playing and turn it back on when done.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: lobadobadingdong
for any games that are memory/processor intensive, I shut down my seti client while playing and turn it back on when done.

yep me too
unless i can play it without shutting it down like card games and such

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
This, AFAIK, is an issue with the way the OS schedules things for an HT-enabled processor. In some cases it thinks it's really on an SMP machine, and when two F@H processes are scheduled as such, the gaming could be slowed. Have you tried running just one F@H process on your HT machine, to see if it slows down the gaming?