F@H Problem?

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
So... I downloaded the cli version of F@H from the website along with Folding Spy and set those up in the same directory. I ran "cli" -config and entered my info. Once that was over I closed the client and then started up F. S.

Well, I've been running F. S. for a couple hours with my CPU maxed, but no progress is indicated within F. S. Every time I click on 'Update' I receive an error message reading "The parameter is incorrect."

What gives?

LastKnight

Jan 28, 2000
sorry, don't use folding spy, so i can't help with that, but....

/me searches pockets...

look here, a bump... :D

How bout a little help for a TeAmmate?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Sorry, I'm not too familiar with FoldingSpy, so I won't be much help there (I use KDFold, OTOH). However, it sounds like when you start FS, it automatically starts the CLI. Did you check the Task Manager to make sure that FahCore_xx.exe is really getting the majority of your CPU cycles when your computer is idle?

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
i didn't realize f.s. was not used by the team. i just used it because i used setispy when i ran seti.

fahcore_78 is getting 99% of my cpu.

maybe i'll try kdfold or whatever it is.

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
Well, now I'm using KDFold and that's nice and all except I can't figure out how to configure the program proerly. I would like to launch KDFold at startup and have it launch the client automatically. I don't see this option in the program.

Do I need to run the client as a service and just launch KDFold at startup?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Tetsuo316
Well, now I'm using KDFold and that's nice and all except I can't figure out how to configure the program proerly. I would like to launch KDFold at startup and have it launch the client automatically. I don't see this option in the program.

Do I need to run the client as a service and just launch KDFold at startup?
First of all, we don't officially discourage the use of FoldingSpy, it's just that neither of the two of us who have seen this thread know how to use it. Perhaps I'll set it up in VMWare under a virtual OS to try to figure out how it works; maybe then I can help you.

Now, to have KDFold launch at startup, you must put a shortcut to it in your "Startup" folder under "Programs" in the start menu. KDFold will not start the client automatically (it's specialty is monitors tons of clients either locally - as on a SMP machine - or on a network, or both), so you'll also have to put a shortcut to the client in your Startup folder. Unfortunately, this will leave the client running in the taskbar as a large button (that's one reason you would probably be better off with FoldingSpy). An advantage to running the client as a service would be to have it running even when you're not logged in (in Windows 2000 and XP), and to have it out of the taskbar, but that requires an additional utility called Firedaemon, and is a bit complex to set up. If you do want to proceed down that path, LMK and I'll try to help you out (I've done it before so I'm familiar with the process, and there is a helpful guide also located somewhere on the net - if only I can find it ;)).

If you do prefer FoldingSpy, feel free to go back to using that, but you may need to get help with it over at the FoldingCommunity forums because none of us seem to know how to fix it. :eek:

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
You did follow the instructions on the FoldingSpy Web Page, didn't you? ;)

Sorry, I don't have time to check into it further tonight, but I'll try to set it up for myself tomorrow morning and see what I can figure out.

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
Yes, I did follow those instructions.

My guess is that the program could not update my stats because I didn't have any. I haven't completed a total work unit yet. I'm at 200000 out of 500000 steps or some crap. Does it really take a day or two to complete a work unit???

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Is it really that much trouble to just look in the F@H log to see where your at? That's all I do and I can't see how I need anymore info than that.

hmmmm.....

I'm thinkin' Sweetums must have said NO last night
rolleye.gif

I just use the fahlog.txt file also
I use firedaemon for the auto start thing (runs as a service)
not sure why you want a monitor with only one (local) computer????

-Sid

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Insidious
not sure why you want a monitor with only one (local) computer????

-Sid
To see when the WU will get done? To see if a finished WU is "stuck"? Just because you're a (real-time) stats addict? ;)

Anyway, I have a feeling you may have gotten a Genome@Home WU, and that's why FoldingSpy isn't able to figure out what to do. Did you choose to configure advanced options, and set WU preference for "fah"?

Edit: If you didn't set the option to prefer fah WUs, then stop the CLI, run it with -config, change the setting, then restart it and let it finish its gah WU; it should get a new fah WU when that one is done, and then FoldingSpy should work.

Another thought on the edit: you don't have a gah WU at all; that's a Gromacs. I'm not sure if FoldingSpy properly supports the monitoring of Gromacs WUs. :eek:

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
Is it really that much trouble to just look in the F@H log to see where your at? That's all I do and I can't see how I need anymore info than that.
Wow. That's the way to encourage a new teammate.

Anyway, I didn't realize that the Folding@Home client processed work units from so many projects. I had switched over from Seventeen or Bust because of client troubles, but this looks to be more of the same. I suppose I'll go back to Seti. I've had more trouble with SoB and F@H than I ever did with Seti.

Thanks for all the help, jliechty. It was nice of you to set up FoldingSpy and everything just to help me out. :)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Tetsuo316
Wow. That's the way to encourage a new teammate.
I don't know why they did that. For those of us who are more experienced, that method works fine, but for the inexperienced (no offense, please, you can learn quickly :)), a nicer interface is desired.
Anyway, I didn't realize that the Folding@Home client processed work units from so many projects. I had switched over from Seventeen or Bust because of client troubles, but this looks to be more of the same. I suppose I'll go back to Seti. I've had more trouble with SoB and F@H than I ever did with Seti.
Folding@Home actually only processes work from its own project; Tinker and Gromacs are two different cores used for two different kinds of work units (both Folding@Home kinds of work units, nonetheless). Genome@Home used to be a separate project, but now it is a part of Folding@Home, and you might get an occasional Genome@Home WU unless you set your work unit preference to "fah" (or Folding@Home) only.

Note that this isn't really a client problem. From what you've said so far, the client seems to be working fine. It's more of a monitoring program issue. If you're still interested, I can help you set up KDFold or Electron Microscope; one of those might work better.
Thanks for all the help, jliechty. It was nice of you to set up FoldingSpy and everything just to help me out. :)
No problem. Sorry to see it didn't work out for you. :(

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm thinkin' Sweetums must have said NO last night
LOL, it wasn't that, but I was in an very uncharacteristically foul mood last night :eek: Some people go out and pick a bar fight or yell at their kids, at least all I did was feed you guys a ration ;) My appologies and the :beer: are on me if we ever meet. BTW, I would have edited the remark out now that I'm lucid but you all quoted me so......

HappyCracker

Mar 10, 2001
Yes it does take awhile to run WUs through the folding process. Nothing like SETI at all. Some go quicker than others also. My poor P2 notebook takes days to complete one WU while this one (XP2500+) usually does at least one a day, depending on the WU. Just curious as to why you didn't get the graphical client. I have had problems in the past with it myself, particularly when starting. For me, if I have it in the foreground as opposed to minimized to sys tray while it's benchmarking, it will crash. I thought this was due to system instability but it happened at stock speeds.

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
Just curious as to why you didn't get the graphical client

Holdover from SETI I guess. The CLI runs faster than the GUI according to most. Every little bit helps.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Here's to ya for giving it a try

:beer:

Best of crunching where ever you land

-Sid

HappyCracker

Mar 10, 2001
I got the graphical but it's always minimized to the tray. I'm really impressed with it. I remember trying F@H out a few years back, got the screensaver version and it was horrible. My system shows that it's working; when I load Q3, it doesn't play sound while the id logo is playing, but then it normals out. Same for RTCW. I'm new to the teAm also, but I know jleichty has been very helpful and I will do my best. Bug us if you need any help!